Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What religion do you have?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Dudess wrote: »

I'd still go to church weddings and christenings though - it's their day, not mine. Can't see how that's hypocritical.

It's not, we all do things for other people even when we don't want to or believe in it, it's keeping the peace sometimes. No harm in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Roman Catholic . I still go to Mass. But at the moment I am having doubts in my faith that are troubling me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Pagan tradition .
    It wasnt on the cencus And it wasn't on the ops poll. But it's the religion of this country before the Arab god came here and it's being recognised more and more in legality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Big shout out to my fellow buddhists! Not to be pedantic, but buddhism isn't a religion. I don't believe in or worship a god or consider myself a member of any religion. Just trying to live a better life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I believe in Harvey Dent!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Agnostic, but if gun to my head I was to come up with a "faith" of a divine nature? I'd call myself a universal pantheist. For me if a "god" exists it's the universe itself. It came from an eternal nothing, indeed by it's birth gave rise to the very notion of eternity itself. It also gave rise to complexity and has all the information of universal existence at it's disposal. The contention that any god is a remote one never squared with me. Why shouldn't it feel the death of a star as much as a sparrow? Or you? The latter is more complex in it's information than any star. The universe would "know" the tiniest change as part of itself. I would extend the Gaia principle to the universe on that score.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Agnostic, but if gun to my head I was to come up with a "faith" of a divine nature? I'd call myself a universal pantheist. For me if a "god" exists it's the universe itself. It came from an eternal nothing, indeed by it's birth gave rise to the very notion of eternity itself. It also gave rise to complexity and has all the information of universal existence at it's disposal. The contention that any god is a remote one never squared with me. Why shouldn't it feel the death of a star as much as a sparrow? Or you? The latter is more complex in it's information than any star. The universe would "know" the tiniest change as part of itself. I would extend the Gaia principle to the universe on that score.

So thats three for Pagan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Tigger wrote: »
    Pagan tradition .
    It wasnt on the cencus And it wasn't on the ops poll. But it's the religion of this country before the Arab god came here and it's being recognised more and more in legality

Arab god?:confused:

Also, there's no connect between the 'pagan' tradition of today and the one that was practiced before. How are you practicing that religion, exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Oh, do you go to Atheist Church too?

It's not called a church, atheists don't appear to have bad memories such that our beliefs need constant reinforcement every Sunday. ;)

Seems like they need constant reinforcement on boards.

Arab god?:confused:

Also, there's no connect between the 'pagan' tradition of today and the one that was practiced before. How are you practicing that religion, exactly?

would semite god or desert god suit yer tastes better?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Tigger wrote: »
    would semite god or desert god suit yer tastes better?

Semite, probably. Arab's just incorrect. Desert maybe not so much: I don't think the whole area of Palestine back then was proper desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

lastest published statistics show 84% of Population is Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I think it should be changed to practising catholic or whatever religion you are. I know a lot of people who are definitely not practising but would consider it a label for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

100% Atheist.
    However I'm happy for you all to do or believe what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    On paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

if you're not practicing, don't follow your religion, and don't really believe it, then picking anything other than no religion in the census makes you an absolute idiot

Religion is the worst thing that has ever happened to this world, Countless Billions of souls have been damned to Hell by false religion.

Religion is the worst thing that has ever happened to this world, Countless Billions of souls have been damned to Hell by false religion.

This post started off so promising...

shizz wrote: »
    This post started off so promising...
    :p

Religion is the worst thing that has ever happened to this world, Countless of Billions of people have died or been killed in direct connection to a religious belief.

Thought I'd fix it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Religion causes enough problems without being resurrected in AH over and over and over and over again..

The Christians started the Resurrections War in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I pray to Crom... but I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen.
    He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of steel?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Crom, strong on his mountain!
    Crom laughs at your "Gods". He laughs from his mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

qrrgprgua wrote: »

Ah, the just in case brigade. :rolleyes:

You can imagine them all signing up to pay the household tax atm....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I'm quantum presbyterian:)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

atheism and agnosticism are not the same...

*sits back, gets popcorn
    Heh. Maybe every choice should have had both Gnostic and Agnostic versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I'm quantum presbyterian:)
    Hey Brethren.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I pray to Crom... but I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen.
    He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of steel?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Crom, strong on his mountain!
    Crom laughs at your "Gods". He laughs from his mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ahada

Hi all...I was wondering (since I'm not from Ireland) if people here even care what religion you believe in? We don't participate in Christmas or Easter and our neighbors seemed to think it was horrible that we did not....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Ahada wrote: »
    Hi all...I was wondering (since I'm not from Ireland) if people here even care what religion you believe in? We don't participate in Christmas or Easter and our neighbors seemed to think it was horrible that we did not....

As long as you're Catholic nobody cares what religion you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

I'm the minority in the poll.

Advertisement