Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JD's

Options
  • 28-03-2012 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hey Does anyone know what happened to JD's Coffee house? in the market? :( I used to eat there all the time :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 matt007

Bankrupt and gone.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Jennii.

Oh nooo :( Damn, They had super food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Jennii. wrote: »
    Oh nooo :( Damn, They had super food!
    @ super prices:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Try the Snack shack Abbey St. carpark. Decent food at good prices.

Ooooh cool thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

not doing the research now,cant be bothered.

But the last time the best breakfast in ennis etc etc was mentioned on a similar thread, we had the regular contributes to the thread from the usual suspects,

however,1 person mentioned a place in summirhill,opp Tara Godgreys. i checked this out!
    well i have to say,it is without doubt the best breakfast anyone will get in ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

The Market Bar are now doing breakfast formerly Rogues, full is 5.95 and mini is 4.50 and omelettes too!

I haven't been in yet so can't vouch for it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

It's mushrooms, eggs, hash browns and a variety of processed pork products all fried, full of saturated fat. It's not haute cuisine how good or bad can any of it be really?

In all fairness I've never come across a fry that I could say made me come back for more. The only reason I went to JD's is because the only other place I could think of was Dunnes and I don't like the town of Ennis looking into my gob while I eat a plate of pig!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you have never eaten a Banner Breakfast you'll never understand what a wonderful piece of Michelin Star quality fare a breakfast can be :p

The Pepper Mill out the Quin Road do a great breakfast and that's where I usually go

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

JDs was handy since it opened at 7, great for when you were queuing up for tickets up the road. No where in town opens before 9 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

I'm pretty fond of soupers beside the arts & crafts shop. They have a lovely cottage pie or chicken a la florence! So good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Battleflag wrote: »
    JDs was handy since it opened at 7, great for when you were queuing up for tickets up the road. No where in town opens before 9 now

Great for people coming off the night shift. Nice breakfast & off to haboo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

The best brekkie in town is at Aroma Cafe, the old Bewleys.

It's €8 for a full Irish but the size of it! It's massive and lovely! They have everything on it sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Have to say Im very fond of Soupers as well, love their food and soup is just gorgeous! If Im working a full day I always pop in for a soup and bread takeaway for only €3

The place in Summerhill (I live here) is spectacular! Oh My God, Just the loveliest food ever!! But JD's had the Paninis, Tuna melt, I know other places have it too, just simple wanted to know why it was shut. :)

CptSternn wrote: »
    The best brekkie in town is at Aroma Cafe, the old Bewleys.

It's €8 for a full Irish but the size of it! It's massive and lovely! They have everything on it sure.

I was brought here by A friend a few months back when he stayed at mine, and I must say, it really is just lovely!!

Another .. friend brought me to the one in Summerhill haha, lads seem to know the nicest places :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

That place in Summerhill - formerly Yumm, do a lovely omelette with a bowl of water with onion and tomato on the side. Bizarre but delish.

buck65 wrote: »
    That place in Summerhill - formerly Yumm, do a lovely omelette with a bowl of water with onion and tomato on the side. Bizarre but delish.

They also make a lovely chicken panini, with the loveliest sauce on it.... Damn renovations, Id kill for one now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

There's a massive difference between a good and a bad fry.

I'd say G's Cafe (the Summerhill place) and The Food Emporium are the best of what's available. Better quality rashers and sausages than the hotels and it's done up to order not congealing on a tray all morning.

JD's had fairly average food. The staff were cool though and the place had a nice atmosphere. Sorry to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

it's done up to order not congealing on a tray all morning.
    Not trying to be smart but how do you know? Just because it's not congealing on a tray in plain view doesn't mean it's not congealing on a tray in the kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart but how do you know? Just because it's not congealing on a tray in plain view doesn't mean it's not congealing on a tray in the kitchen.
    It's common practice in alot of kitchens. Walked into the Beehive cafe a few months back just after 8, only to be told they didn't start serving till 9. I could see the girl through the hole in the wall taking the sausages out of the deep fat fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

MyKeyG wrote: »

Both places it's pretty easy to see into the kitchen. I've definitely seen them use a frying pan to do it in the Food Emporium, and maybe in G's although I'm not sure. The order takes 5 minutes even if the place is empty. With fried eggs it's pretty easy to tell if something was done ahead of time because they don't keep that well. I acknowlege there are tricks though so I'm just going on a hunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Ah no, sorry to hear of JD's closing down. Used to have breakfast there on a Saturday semi-frequently when I lived in Ennis.

Sounds like a lot of places have re-branded there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

had soup, sambo and bagel in obriens/bagel factory!! 16 euro - one slice of ham in toastie and no taste off bagel but soup was delicious and staff were very friendly!! so hard to get a nice sambo in ennis

alibride wrote: »
    had soup, sambo and bagel in obriens/bagel factory!! 16 euro - one slice of ham in toastie and no taste off bagel but soup was delicious and staff were very friendly!! so hard to get a nice sambo in ennis

16 euro!! "I don't believe it"!!for soup & sanger No wonder we are where we are!

Battleflag wrote: »
    It's common practice in alot of kitchens. Walked into the Beehive cafe a few months back just after 8, only to be told they didn't start serving till 9. I could see the girl through the hole in the wall taking the sausages out of the deep fat fryer.

I worked in a hospital where the patient's menu for teatime said "mixed grill". I passed the kitchen a lot and always saw the puddings and sausages coming out of the deep fat fryer, The eggs & rashers were fried. So much for the mixed grill

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Yapamillias

maiden wrote: »
    Have to say Im very fond of Soupers as well, love their food and soup is just gorgeous! If Im working a full day I always pop in for a soup and bread takeaway for only €3

Soupers...they have 4-5 different soups on, nice wraps and dinners as well...very friendly :)

edit: decent prices as well

More people should share those reviews sure!

http://www.yelp.ie/search?find_desc=restaurants&find_loc=ennis&ns=1

Cafe Aroma - Full Irish (€8.50)

577471_10150647423511841_567511840_9538752_1040773418_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Please identify the objects at 19 hundred hours!

Advertisement