Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 2 - Episode 1 **Have NOT Read The Books / No Spoilers Included**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Do you know that or is it an assumption? My impression was that the bastards were acknowledged as such - that they weren't such a secret he wouldn't be easily able to find out.
    fair enough they are fairly aknowleged but why would joffrey be looking into such things for,
    How would Tyrion know more about it? He is a Lannister - surely less privvy to the old king's doings than the boy he thought his son.

tyrion is a big believer that knowledge is power and he knew his sister and brother were ****ing, and he most likely knew the king was screwing around also, it could easily be joffreys mother, i just think tyrion come across as to much of a likeble person that he must have some evil in him, he is a lannister afterall:D,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Who was yer one with the cracking set of boobs at the end?....lol, riding school indeed. Solid opener, the dragons looked class....quality CGI and the direwolves looked ace!
    Great to have the show back, it's was an opener....a setup for things to come, not too much happened tbh, but it's good to have all the faces and new faces.

Needs moere boobs though! 4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Who was yer one with the cracking set of boobs at the end?....lol, riding school indeed. Solid opener, the dragons looked class....quality CGI and the direwolves looked ace!
    Great to have the show back, it's was an opener....a setup for things to come, not too much happened tbh, but it's good to have all the faces and new faces.

Needs moere boobs though! 4/5

So much moar is needed. Gonna re-watch the episode after the match tonight, was so late last night when I caught it.

Also, the thread you made, about going too far, is that thread a have read books spoilers thread, or a have not read book spoilers?

All I have to say about that first episode is epic! So much going on. Loved the wolves they're huge! :D

Winter is coming.
    I would reckon it was the queen, not tyrion or joffrey.

Me 2, really don't think it would be Tyrion myself.

Any chance of getting a poll added????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A solid opening, cleverly framed by the passing of the comet, which helped forgive the otherwise whistlestop tour of the main players (along with the new arrivals). I had forgotten what a wide cast there was. To the writers credit though, it took no time to recall the state of affairs.

If I were to criticise anything though, it would be that Joffrey continues to stick out like a sore thumb among the more three dimensional characters around him. His inherent evilness is so far beyond the pale as to be simply laughable. I mean yes, the baby-killing was gruesome & arguably unnecessary and graphic, but as a dramatic device it was utterly pantomime-level stuff. That he even behaves so despicably with everyone just makes the whole thing ludicrous.

Plus: although he was just another cameo in a string of cameos, I got the distinct impression Tyrion would be a larger force this time around; it's only natural the writers would take their cues from audience responses in certain quarters & given how popular Tyion was last season, I wouldn't be surprised if indeed he became the central figure - the show sorely needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

AAAAHhhhhhh xbox live kept signing me out when I sat down to watch it on alantic tonight:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: IT NEVER DOES THAT EVERRRRR!!!! I am downloading it now 5 mins to go , then I can read this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just watched it there what a great start to the new season. That one scene
    with babies being slaughtered
    has traumatised the missus. Can't wait for next week.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    If I were to criticise anything though, it would be that Joffrey continues to stick out like a sore thumb among the more three dimensional characters around him.
    Product of his upbringing: Mother never said no and now, when she needs to, she can't for fear of losing her head. Spoiled rich brat - sort of like a D4 head given the power to execute.
    it's only natural the writers would take their cues from audience responses in certain quarters & given how popular Tyion was last season, I wouldn't be surprised if indeed he became the central figure - the show sorely needs it.
    They're limited with the source material they have though - they're not going to invent plot arcs for him that aren't there. The cues are all from GRRM's work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ixoy wrote: »
    Product of his upbringing: Mother never said no and now, when she needs to, she can't for fear of losing her head. Spoiled rich brat - sort of like a D4 head given the power to execute.

Fair enough, I get that, but it wouldn't be a stretch to give the little creep some humanity. It seems like every scene he's in, he finds new ways to become a moustache-twirling villain...

"Yes, this throne room isn't quite EVIL enough!. Get rid of these flowers. Now, time for my 9am baby killing!"
    ixoy wrote: »
    They're limited with the source material they have though - they're not going to invent plot arcs for him that aren't there. The cues are all from GRRM's work.

well I'm in this thread because I haven't read the books - so naturally can't comment too much on what they're working with - but limitations doesn't mean the writers can't shuffle around the emphasis certain characters get. Downplay one arc, whilst giving more screentime to another.

Mind you, as one of the few characters I don't want to push down stairs, I suppose it's only natural I latched onto Tyrion's scenes that bit more. Plus his mistress is quite a dish :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"you love your children, its your one redeeming feature, that and your cheekbones"

one episode in and already some quality lines from Tyrion :D

also Joffrey needs to die in the most painful way imaginable, maybe Rob's direwolf will eat his face

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The show writers do have a precedent of portraying a character differently in the series than in the book from season 1.

God that was great, sooooooo good to have it back. Is this another 10 episode season?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

pixelburp wrote: »
    .........If I were to criticise anything though, it would be that Joffrey continues to stick out like a sore thumb among the more three dimensional characters around him. His inherent evilness is so far beyond the pale as to be simply laughable. I mean yes, the baby-killing was gruesome & arguably unnecessary and graphic, but as a dramatic device it was utterly pantomime-level stuff. That he even behaves so despicably with everyone just makes the whole thing ludicrous.

Plus: although he was just another cameo in a string of cameos, I got the distinct impression Tyrion would be a larger force this time around; it's only natural the writers would take their cues from audience responses in certain quarters & given how popular Tyion was last season, I wouldn't be surprised if indeed he became the central figure - the show sorely needs it.

Well in the books Joffrey is still a pantomime villain, he is petty little sadist who never had a positive influence on his actions and has suddenly been handed unlimited power. He has misconceptions on what being a king is, he has never been trained in the role.
    (imagine Draco Malfoy in Harry Potter with no-one brave enough to stop him whilest being a better wizard than Harry)

I would guess that the writers already knew Tyrion would be a fan favourite, he already is as a result of the books. He gets all the best lines there too.
    Based solely on the books Jon, Arya and Tyrion are my favourite parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SIBHCHEVIE

I reckon it's the queen too, she knows now her secret is out so she needs to get rid of all the evidence. Joefry is far too full of himself and he basically said No one has a right to the throne only him so I don't think he'd even be bothered tracking the bastard kids down. He doesn't see them as a threat.

Bring on next week cant wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I would reckon it was the queen, not tyrion or joffrey.

I'd agree with this too, the Queen sending the order to send out the death squads

Joffrey is so far gone when the builder on the ladder paused after the slap I was nearly expecting him to be arrested and executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

don ramo wrote: »
    buy he wouldnt have any information on who the kids would be, and the men never stated whos orders they were following, which to me would indicate it wasnt the king,

Whoever it was wouldn't have needed prior information on who the bastards were. They showed the guards beating and threatening people to extract the information from them. Whoever commanded those guards would have just charged them with using all their manpower to figure out who the kids were by any means necessary. There would be various household staff who would have a good idea what Robert was up to and could get them started in the right direction.

The only reason that Ned and the prior Hand took so long finding the bastards was that they were trying to be exceptionally discreet and not alert everyone else to what they were searching for. At this point that's out the window which makes it much easier.

I think Cersei is the prime suspect. Joffrey isn't smart enough and Tyrion isn't hateful enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Surely it was Cersei? I can't see why anyone would think otherwise. Despite being stereotypically evil I don't think Joffrey would be capable of ordering the deaths of his half-siblings. Then again maybe I'm wrong, maybe he's a psychopath.

Anyway Tyrion just got there and know's nothing of the former King's bastard children so it can't have been him, not to mention it would be completely out of character from the Tyrion we have seen up until now.

Great season opener. I'm already counting down the days until next week!

God that was great, sooooooo good to have it back. Is this another 10 episode season?
    yeah it is unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LadyHeart

Tenger wrote: »
    I would guess that the writers already knew Tyrion would be a fan favourite, he already is as a result of the books. He gets all the best lines there too.
    Based solely on the books Jon, Arya and Tyrion are my favourite parts.

They're my favourite as well and also Dany!

But yeah it had to be Cersei, Joffrey doesn't believe that he isn't Roberts son so he has no reason to be worried about any half-sibling bastards but Cersei knows the truth therefor must get rid of the bastards.

I must be a horrible person because I wasn't too horrified by the killing of the baby, you don't see anything but I suppose because I read the books I was forewarned.

All in all, good start I don't know how they're gonna fit it all in to 10 eps though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Episode 2 is being shown now on HBO-go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Think it'll be online tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Mindkiller wrote: »

:O

How do you know?

Stuck between two minds, would love to watch the 2nd episode now.

But that means waiting 2 weeks to see the third episode. But if it is on HBO-go, then you can be fairly sure it'll be online later tonight.

Stuck between two minds, would love to watch the 2nd episode now.

But that means waiting 2 weeks to see the third episode. But if it is on HBO-go, then you can be fairly sure it'll be online later tonight.
    I'm just gonna watch it tonight... And then watch them both again next week.

Not a bad idea.
    Sound for that link as well last night ;)

If it appears after Raw, I'll watch it tonight.

Nothing showing online, not looking good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Was it even shown?

titan18 wrote: »

Was it even shown?
    According to a previous poster yes, but I haven't seen anything confirming this online :(

• Advertisement

I take it back, by the looks of it it's up in the usual spots.

Advertisement