Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 2 - Episode 1 **Have NOT Read The Books / No Spoilers Included**

Options
  • 27-03-2012 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

If you haven't read the books, and don't want to read specific spoilers from the books, post in here.

I'm starting this early in an attempt to trash out some rules before the episode airs. Sunday US HBO, Monday UK/IRL Sky Atlantic, people may see it before it airs here, don't read the thread if you don't want the episode spoiled. It's simple.

Speculation about what MAY happen is allowed, but I assume that book readers will be also reading this thread, and so will report any spilers, and appropriate action can be taken.

There's probably no need for spiler tags, as only stuff up to and including the current episode should be allowed.

But still, if you read this thread, don't bitch if someone mentions something from the episode and they don't spoiler it because it will be assumed that you've at least watched the latest episode if you are reading the thread about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

I REAAAALLY hope that Joffrey is killed instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

May Joffrey die a slow and painful death :mad:
    Oh he has a face I just want to punch :mad:

Watched Season one today as a refresher, can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Why would you want Joffrey to die, Hes fecking class :D

Why would you want Joffrey to die, Hes fecking class :D

He's a ****

I've not read the books which is why I'm in this thread

May Episode One be Robb putting his head on his spike :)

But since we have more books [which I've not read] and more HBO seasons to get out of this then it's clear it won't happen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Wish I had HBO right now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

uploaded to the "usual" places already...

downloading now! 1 minute remaining!

The American cousins are super fast tonight ;)

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The American cousins are super fast tonight ;)

It's taking sooooo long! The wait is killing me.

Aye, it's not so fast now

Go to bed and get up an hour before you head to work in the morning :)

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Aye, it's not so fast now

Go to bed and get up an hour before you head to work in the morning :)

Luckily for me I'm not in. So staying up is always an option :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

That was brilliant. Enjoyed that.

The direwolves and the dragons look amazing, and the locations and feel of the episode was unreal.

Might rewatch it again tomorrow, wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

That was brilliant. Enjoyed that.

The direwolves and the dragons look amazing, and the locations and feel of the episode was unreal.

Might rewatch it again tomorrow, wrecked.

I've just finished watching it, and I definitely agree! What I've noticed is how vast this season is beginning to become compared to the first one. The ending was quite suitable too, but nothing compared to the cliffhangers we've seen in season 1. I'd say I'll rewatch it again on Atlantic tonight also.

Roll on episode 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Great episode, love the feel of the show. It's so vast and looks great. Joffrey is was little shit. Killing all the bastard children,horrible!

Having to wait another week for the next episode is torture!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

DarkDusk wrote: »
    I've just finished watching it, and I definitely agree! What I've noticed is how vast this season is beginning to become compared to the first one. The ending was quite suitable too, but nothing compared to the cliffhangers we've seen in season 1. I'd say I'll rewatch it again on Atlantic tonight also.

Roll on episode 2!

For comparison let me know if you spot anything missing or cut from the Sky broadcast.
    I usually record it from Sky but always wondered do they cut anything compared to HBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

just watched it myself there, great start to a promising season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Baahhhh the usual places are all down. No 720p for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

The end was a bit reminiscent of the first episode. The pet wolf that saved the boy's life [as far as I remember] was ordered killed then. In this a baby was.

It was very good overall. I'm pleased. I'd heard from someone who read the second book after watching the first series that the pacing slowed right down. That didn't come across at all in that episode anyway.

Wow. HBO are brave. Showing the near on-screen murder of a baby. Great episode, but I'm a bit confused as to why they're killing all the bastards?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wow. HBO are brave. Showing the near on-screen murder of a baby. Great episode, but I'm a bit confused as to why they're killing all the bastards?

Joffrey,Tommen and Myrcella all have golden hair, and none really look like a Baratheon. All Robert's bastards do, and are also an heir and can claim the throne if legitimized.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

HBO can be as brave as they want. They don't have advertisers so they can do what they want and funding wont get cut.
    What an amazing start to the season and I love how they re-did the opening music which was amazing in the first season but now has more umph, as the man says.

• Advertisement

It was unnecessary really. In very questionable taste, and a little cheap. They could have handled it very differently and still made it clear what was being carried out.

It was unnecessary really. In very questionable taste, and a little cheap. They could have handled it very differently and still made it clear what was being carried out.

How exactly? It was showing how ruthless and insane Joffrey is,killing anyone that may have a claim to the throne. It was tough watching but necessary. I thought the whole montage was really well done and it brought us to Arya at the end,and we know now that she is in danger because she is with one of the bastard sons.

tvnutz wrote: »
    How exactly? It was showing how ruthless and insane Joffrey is,killing anyone that may have a claim to the throne. It was tough watching but necessary. I thought the whole montage was really well done and it brought us to Arya at the end,and we know now that she is in danger because she is with one of the bastard sons.
    There would be plenty of more tasteful ways to make the situation just as clear. A scene showing the soldiers being ordered by a superior to go find and kill any of the dead king's bastard for example.

There was no need to show it. Sure there is more of an emotional impact in showing something like that - but it is a cheap way of achieving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Joffrey is was little shit. Killing all the bastard children,horrible!
    somehow i dont think it was joffrey that ordered the bastards killed, id say tyrion myslef, he is hand of the king and would know of the bastards existence, and would probably know most of them if i recall right the last 2 hands tracked down a good few of them,

i was kinda hopeing to get some big white walker news in this episode, it should be interesting to see that fella whos builing and army way up north, id he gonna march south or does he know the white walkers are returning,

i wonder if the two barateons will joing forces with robb, realistically they have to if they want to get rid of the lannisters, but theyll have to let robb have the north,

a very solid opening to what will hopefully be and epic season,

god help us when its gets to season 5 the credits will take 6 minutes to show all the locations:D

which if anyone kept track of the caracters and places on the HBO site the size of the map has nearly quadrupled
    http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season2/#!/map/locations/

don ramo wrote: »
    somehow i dont think it was joffrey that ordered the bastards killed, id say tyrion myslef, he is hand of the king and would know of the bastards existence, and would probably know most of them if i recall right the last 2 hands tracked down a good few of them,
    /

The scene where Joffrey talks to his mother about the old king sleeping around seemed to indicate that line of thinking on his part though. Also he would have been raging after being slapped, and especially not retaliating beyond a warning. Lastly, Tyrion doesn't strike me as a baby killing type of guy.

There would be plenty of more tasteful ways to make the situation just as clear. A scene showing the soldiers being ordered by a superior to go find and kill any of the dead king's bastard for example.

There was no need to show it. Sure there is more of an emotional impact in showing something like that - but it is a cheap way of achieving it.

That wouldn't have been effective. They didn't show the baby die,it was done off screen. Just someone giving an order would have been rubbish. I know it sounds strange that I am defending this, I don't want to see scenes of babies die on screen! And we didn't see that, but I thought it was brilliantly done and very effective.

I do reckon it was Joffrey,based on the conversation with his mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

The scene where Joffrey talks to his mother about the old king sleeping around seemed to indicate that line of thinking on his part though. Also he would have been raging after being slapped, and especially not retaliating beyond a warning. Lastly, Tyrion doesn't strike me as a baby killing type of guy.
    buy he wouldnt have any information on who the kids would be, and the men never stated whos orders they were following, which to me would indicate it wasnt the king,

tyrion doesnt strike me as the type either but he is hand of the king and is still a linnister, and now that the lannisters are in power i would think he would want it to stay that way,

That wouldn't have been effective. They didn't show the baby die,it was done off screen. Just someone giving an order would have been rubbish. I know it sounds strange that I am defending this, I don't want to see scenes of babies die on screen! And we didn't see that, but I thought it was brilliantly done and very effective.

I do reckon it was Joffrey,based on the conversation with his mother.
    It might have been effective if the acting of the soldiers was good - the guy who couldn't do it giving the same appalled look for example. In any case I'm sure the team behind the show could come up with better things than I could if they had a mind to.

I think there's enough in the show without needing cheap shots like that. Unabashed melodrama has been a feature from the start though and in general I like that in it. Not slagging it off - I really like the show, and I'm not going to stop watching or anything.

Anyway, it's just my opinion. Your opinion is different. Doubt either will change so let's leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

I would reckon it was the queen, not tyrion or joffrey.

• Advertisement

don ramo wrote: »
    buy he wouldnt have any information on who the kids would be

Do you know that or is it an assumption? My impression was that the bastards were acknowledged as such - that they weren't such a secret he wouldn't be easily able to find out.

How would Tyrion know more about it? He is a Lannister - surely less privvy to the old king's doings than the boy he thought his son.

edit:
    I would reckon it was the queen, not tyrion or joffrey.

Yeah that would make sense. The point about knowledge supports it too - I think if anyone knew their identities, she would.

Advertisement