Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland west Aiport flights to Paris/Milan/Franfurt 18 Euro return April

Options
  • 27-03-2012 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Ireland west airport is today launching flights to Paris/Milan/Franfurt. Ryanair are giving the service. Most of April flights seem to €18 return including online check in and taxes etc.

http://www.ryanair.com/en

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, €16.99 return to Milan... bargain!

Mighty tempted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭irishproduce

What dates you looking at Basq?

Ignore, I found them :-)

Can't afford to take holidays from work right now... but really tempted for a long weekend break!

Hmnmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

PS Note that Knock Airport tap you up for a tenner a head 'airport development fee' or else they will not allow you to board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭irishproduce

You serious??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

You serious??

yep leaving the country tax i beleive it funded some of the terminal building and radar upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

This 'development fee' is bizarre, I had to pay it the last time I flew out of Knock. I wouldn't have minded if it had been flagged anywhere beforehand but it was never mentioned on any of the ticketing or flight details. It's literally a lad sitting at a folding table beside the passport control demanding a tenner off everyone that walks by.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭EyeDeeOne

they definitly return tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

This 'development fee' is bizarre, I had to pay it the last time I flew out of Knock. I wouldn't have minded if it had been flagged anywhere beforehand but it was never mentioned on any of the ticketing or flight details. It's literally a lad sitting at a folding table beside the passport control demanding a tenner off everyone that walks by.

No,its not. Its a booth in the centre of the corridor leading to the Departure Lounge. You cannot get past this booth unless you are under 12 or pay your tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

EyeDeeOne wrote: »
    they definitly return tickets?

Yep, tis true! just found some Paris flights there, can't make it work for me with awkward flight days though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i just factor it into the ticket price if they are cheaper/convenient i use them, if not i fly from elswhere

i just factor it into the ticket price if they are cheaper/convenient i use them, if not i fly from elswhere
    I'll happily pay the €10 development fee since it's only 45 minutes drive from me..

.. as opposed to 2.5 hours to Dublin airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

Most airports charge a development fee, except that they include it at point of booking i.e the likes of ryanair.com etc. Ireland west cuts out the middle man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

No,its not. Its a booth in the centre of the corridor leading to the Departure Lounge. You cannot get past this booth unless you are under 12 or pay your tenner.

I am from the area and was shocked this had to be paid the first time I ever flew out of Knock!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Yep, tis true! just found some Paris flights there, can't make it work for me with awkward flight days though :(

did you book a flight to Paris or Beauvais ?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyBananas

And of course, being Ryanair, the airports are

Frankfurt-Hahn, 120km away from Frankfurt
    Paris-Beauvais, 85km away from Paris
    Milan-Bergamo, 45km away from Milan

(Source, Wikipedia)

(Not complaining, just something to take into account).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Jaysus lads, you don't say?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

The flight days are very awkward though to the various destinations, only 3 flights per week, only one at weekends, etc.

A handy BA for those with time and money on their hands in the West....

Good for tourism though.

I would be very dubious about the legality of the 'airport development fee' as it is up to the carrier to pay passenger charges. If they physically tried to stop you from boarding I am sure you can charge them with assault.

Has anyone taken them on in the terminal over it?

kn wrote: »
    If they physically tried to stop you from boarding I am sure you can charge them with assault.
    4669812732_5407c2534c_z.jpg

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    4669812732_5407c2534c_z.jpg
    Deadly serious. Its not Guards enforcing this, they have no lawful authority to detain you, and no Guard is going to intervene to force people to pay as they will say it is a civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Deadly serious. Its not Guards enforcing this, they have no lawful authority to detain you, and no Guard is going to intervene to force people to pay as they will say it is a civil matter.

You're using a service provided by the airport. Would that not be some sort of stealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 honeybea

Flying Knock/Lanzarote 12th April /19th April..165 euro plus 10 Airport Charge .....Dublin/Lanzarote..11thApril/18th April..... 255 euro ....Knock Airport is cheaper most of the time...and a joy to pass through..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

You are using a service provided by the airport that they charge for. You wouldn't force your way past a cinema usher without a ticket would you and claim it's a civil matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

It's internet lawyers like this that end up getting cuffed and thrown in the back of a squad car. I fecking hate this "I KNOW MY BLEEDIN RIGHTS" brigade that quote law they pulled out of their arseholes. I suppose the Guard can't arrest you if he doesn't have his cap on either.
    Pay the €10 or go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I don't think you will find too many people in the West having a problem paying a tenner each time you use the Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

honeybea wrote: »
    Flying Knock/Lanzarote 12th April /19th April..165 euro plus 10 Airport Charge .....Dublin/Lanzarote..11thApril/18th April..... 255 euro ....Knock Airport is cheaper most of the time...and a joy to pass through..

Tenerife on the same dates from Knock €94 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

16 quid for flights to Girona on the 21st-24th. Cheers op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

And of course, being Ryanair, the airports are

Frankfurt-Hahn, 120km away from Frankfurt
    Paris-Beauvais, 85km away from Paris
    Milan-Bergamo, 45km away from Milan

(Source, Wikipedia)

(Not complaining, just something to take into account).

I would rather end up in Bergamo than Milan anyway. I think the same goes for a lot of people. Good train connections to Venice/Verona/Florence etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

This all sounds good, but the big question is, how much cheaper is the parking in Knock Airport compared to Dublin airports parking charges? EDIT: And how much time do you need to allocate to being there in advance for your flight?

Advertisement