Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last gasp attempt to reopen Waterford/Rosslare Railway

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Suppose that's progress of sorts ... least something happening and IE are willing to inspect and lease the line out must be a first for them..
    hold your horses there, i said an inspection car is to travel the line, that is all.
    The inspection car is travelling the country by the looks of things so I wouldn't look too much into it.

agree. they have to inspect it under the terms of the agreement with the NTA.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Suppose that's progress of sorts ... least something happening and IE are willing to inspect and lease the line out must be a first for them..
    hold your horses there, i said an inspection car is to travel the line, that is all.
    The inspection car is travelling the country by the looks of things so I wouldn't look too much into it.

agree. they have to inspect it under the terms of the agreement with the NTA.
    It's coming from Wateford on Wednesday morning. I'll be there with a sign saying 'Welcome Back!'

IE are obliged to inspect the line by the NTA and are going through the motions. The line will never reopen but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
    It could be reopened if someone (who is a multimillionaire or a company) had the Money. Save TheRail have said that it would be possible to open it within 1 year and an Irish rail worker has me that, if they had a train, they could open it up to Campile next week if they wanted to. Not to forget Wexford Campus IT Carlow would like to start a railways course so you could use inchicore or Wexford/Carlow and they would have locos running on the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I take it the line beyond Campile is now in bits.

Are there any recent pictures of the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

As I understand things before there could be any service operating on the line there would have to be a further inspection? I think this upcoming inspection will say the line is in good condition especially if it is not as irish rail have been ordered to maintain the line so would have to spend money they cant afford if the inspection report was bad. Any inspection prior to services operating will reveal an unfortunate rapid deterioration of the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Trampower? Hahahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I think this upcoming inspection will say the line is in good condition especially if it is not as irish rail have been ordered to maintain the line so would have to spend money they cant afford if the inspection report was bad.
    i thought the line is being independantly monitored? i don't know would the NTA just take IE'S word for it in relation to the inspections or condition of the line but i could be wrong.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    Any inspection prior to services operating will reveal an unfortunate rapid deterioration of the line.
    wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I take it the line beyond Campile is now in bits.

Are there any recent pictures of the line?
    No, but there are 30cm high weeds growing on the line, which I know from crossing on the Level Crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There is an new inspection car which is fitted with track scanning equipment and cameras; it is also GPS tracked so it offers a very detailed report if required. If an ordinary inspection car runs on a line, it's crew report back on the general state of the track, level crossings and bridges; I guess that the NRA will receive some shape of a document to reflect the trip whatever vehicle is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭purplepanda

dowlingm wrote: »
    Trampower? Hahahahahahahahaha

They don't seem to have run any type of rail or tram service apart from some trials in Birkenhead & Blackpool which didn't result in any public transport contracts / services being run. They appear to be behind the Galway Luas publicity. :rolleyes:

We can safely rule them out unless they suddenly get substantial UK / Ireland / EU funding all of a sudden to develop viable vehicles :pac:

The tram - train articles in the Munster Express a while back appear to have some link to Trampower, the same google images turn up in relation to Trampower bidding on Tram contracts in Toronto Canada & elsewhere :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

So guessing the last gasp didn't work out to well. Or is there any other news on reopening this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

pic in T&RS showing a digger clearing the trackbed of trees and weeds taken in the last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

not on this line though...thats the New Ross line

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

corktina wrote: »
    not on this line though...thats the New Ross line

:o

Advertisement