Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last gasp attempt to reopen Waterford/Rosslare Railway

Options
  • 26-03-2012 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

552707_210756945692006_100002731050668_294077_240112599_n.jpg

Unusually - for me - I would like to draw peoples attention to this forthcoming meeting without further comment. I won't be there as Wellington Bridge is impossible to get to and from by public transport at that time of day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Excellent. Who's called the meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

552707_210756945692006_100002731050668_294077_240112599_n.jpg

Unusually - for me - I would like to draw peoples attention to this forthcoming meeting without further comment. I won't be there as Wellington Bridge is impossible to get to and from by public transport at that time of day!

Why don't you drive there, same way as all of those people who would use the railway otherwise if, if if, if etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Excellent. Who's called the meeting?

http://swifft.wordpress.com/

Why don't you drive there, same way as all of those people who would use the railway otherwise if, if if, if etc

Well first I'd have to sit my test (having only ever had a provisional licence), then I would have to save my Euros to buy a car - this might take quite a time thanks to my previous railway experiences - and by then I suspect the meeting will be over.

Well first I'd have to sit my test (having only ever had a provisional licence), then I have to save my Euros to buy a car - this might take quite a time thanks to my previous railway experiences - and by then I suspect the meeting will be over.

That's just nit picking and semantics :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I somehow get the feeling that the vast majority of the people of South Wexford couldn't give a shite about the Rosslare Waterford line. Sure it'd be nice, but no-one's ever going to use it.

n97 mini wrote: »
    I somehow get the feeling that the vast majority of the people of South Wexford couldn't give a shite about the Rosslare Waterford line. Sure it'd be nice, but no-one's ever going to use it.

That's right - crap marketing and decades of unusable timetables would have nothing to do with it of course. You have obviously given this a lot of thought. Incidentally, the line was, theoretically, a link with the port of Rosslare - a gateway to the rest of the country and the local commuter service was only ever a tiny part of the picture.

That's right - crap marketing and decades of unusable timetables would have nothing to do with it of course. You have obviously given this a lot of thought.
    Not really, I just know several people in South Wexford and none of them give a shite about a railway that doesn't go anywhere useful to them.
    Incidentally, the line was, theoretically, a link with the port of Rosslare - a gateway to the rest of the country and the local commuter service was only ever a tiny part of the picture.
    Yes, but you do know that the station has been moved twice and is no nowhere near the port. And we keep getting told that ash clouds aside there is no foot traffic worth talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That's right - crap marketing and decades of unusable timetables would have nothing to do with it of course. You have obviously given this a lot of thought. Incidentally, the line was, theoretically, a link with the port of Rosslare - a gateway to the rest of the country and the local commuter service was only ever a tiny part of the picture.
    Much faster buses and cheaper to run and more flexible and routes can be changed as population centres change and all the other reasons this stretch of obsolete railway had to be closed for the good of the people! All the marketing and million pound or euro advertising campaigns were never going to help passenger numbers and re-arranging services would lead to added personnel costs which would never have been viable because of the tiny number of extra passengers better timings would have produced.

Theoretically the line could have been upgraded and had high speed trains running an hourly service to both Dublin and also to Limerick and Cork, BUT Living in the real world the line was finished and dead for years but was allowed to rot before it was finally laid to rest. It should be lifted now and the lands returned to local farmers so some use might be got from this folly.

foggy - I'm too exhausted from my rant over security in Dublin Port to argue with you but we are diametrically opposed on this one. That said, the people of south Wexford are more likely to put a Bus Eireann bus on the Moon than reopen this line. :D

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It should be lifted now and the lands returned to local farmers so some use might be got from this folly.
    I wouldn't go that far. I think the line should be turned over to the private sector and let them make a go of it. I still don't think it'll ever work tho, as the population just isn't there to support the costs of running it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The population IS there...to the west you have Waterford,Limerick and Cork, to the East you have the UK and the rest of Europe. The fact is CIE didnt want it and have been trying to get rid for years by making it unattractive to these markets. It was never really a rural line , it was built to connect the GWR with it's Irish market.

If the train met every ferry and ran all the way through to Galway do you think there'd be enough patronage on the Rosslare-Waterford section to justify it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭purplepanda

I wouldn't go that far. I think the line should be turned over to the private sector and let them make a go of it. I still don't think it'll ever work tho, as the population just isn't there to support the costs of running it.

The population density of Wexford county is a lot higher than most rail links & regions in the rest of Ireland. Transport links around the South East & adjacent regions needs to be improved, this is the cheapest way to do it instead of a new road bridge costing billions across the River Barrow. The line has a massive time advantage over the road journey unlike many other rail links.

Wexford has a ferry port with connections to Britain & Europe which could increase tourism to both the South East & West, there is demand for local services between Wexford & towns further up the east coast & Waterford, Kilkenny & the SW regions.

The Rosslare -Waterford rail line has never had services catering for local people nor proper connections to the rest of the rail network for decades.

It's time for proper rail services & viable onward connections with links for local passengers & overseas visitors & tourists to be introduced. Why not try weekend services in the summer months to the West & SW coasts, linking up with the ferry arrivals & promoted properly by the tourist board & associated rail operators in Britain?

Why should other threatened rail lines be given extra & improved services whilst this line is mothballed? It's time to give the line a fair chance!!

The population density of Wexford county is a lot higher than most rail links & regions in the rest of Ireland

I googled for some of the populations along the route...

Rosslare: 1100
    Killinick: 792
    Bridgetown: 747
    Duncormick: 503
    Wellingtonbridge: ???
    Ballycullane: 219
    Campile: 347

I dare say a Luas for Gorey would be more financially viable.

You carefully left Waterford off your list I see.

corktina wrote: »
    You carefully left Waterford off your list I see.
    Last time I checked Waterford wasn't in Wexford county...
    The population density of Wexford county is a lot higher than most rail links & regions in the rest of Ireland.
    I left off Cork, Limerick and Galway too, aswell as Dublin and a few other places that also aren't in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Given the complete lack of a straight road in that part of the world (spent several holidays in the area as a child) paving it might do wonders for travel times across that neck of the woods.

However, the NTA's insistance on keeping it working order did help IE when they moved some stock across it a few months back (I think it was the Lansdowne bridge incident which cut off access to Connolly?)

Last time I checked Waterford wasn't in Wexford county...

I left off Cork, Limerick and Galway too, aswell as Dublin and a few other places that also aren't in Wexford.
    A touch dishonest - the route was from Waterford to Rosslare after all. In any case, lack of Wexford Town-Waterford connectivity via the line is one of the reasons for its failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Population of County Wexford is around 145,000. Both Wexford Town & Waterford City are within the potential catchment area of the railway & most of south Wexford (76,000) County Carlow actually has a much smaller population than South Wexford :rolleyes:

http://www.wexfordcdb.ie/cdb/ResearchInformation/Census2011/Thefile,18470,en.pdf

• Advertisement

Population of County Wexford is around 145,000.
    Yes, and probably 90% of those are not within the catchment area of that railway.
    Both Wexford Town & Waterford City are within the potential catchment area of the railway
    Wexford town is not. Bus/road is far quicker and shorter.
    dowlingm wrote:
    A touch dishonest
    purplepanda specifically mentioned Wexford county, and I specifically responded to that.

To put it in context there is a greater population in the towns along the route from Collooney to Tuam.

And this is just why the line isn't worth investing in as a local service; there isn't the density of people or a need to use it and with good reason. The line was built to get post quickly between London and New York, not to move people to and from Wellingtonbridge. It wasn't opened for any local need or gain and it's evident today.

Yes, Rosslare has a ferry service to and from Wales and France but it's via car that most people use the port, not by foot or bus.

Yes, Waterford has loads of people living in it but how many are going to and from Rosslare, Campile or Bridgetown? Or indeed to and from the ferry port?

Yes, Irish Rail didn't put much of a service on the line but with the above points in play, can you really blame them? It was never going to make money, even if everybody in South Wexford used the line 10 times a day and paid double per trip.

The line died the minute that sugar beet subsidies in Ireland was pulled as it was it's chief traffic, not people. Unless the line gets some special freight traffic along it's route a magic EU grant to rebuild it and the Barrow Bridge and a huge WRC sized political push, it will never reopen as a going concern.

And that's coming from somebody who would love to see more lines opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Much faster buses and cheaper to run and more flexible and routes can be changed as population centres change
    so is a car. and actually in my experience busses aren't much faster.
    same can happen with the railway, if a new population centre arises a new road will be built which will involve land being purchased. same could happen for the railway. it doesn't have to be on some old alignment.
    the railway could be cheeper to run if irish rail were possibly taken out of the picture. lots of people out of work in this country looking for a job who could be trained up to do the jobs for half the cost. the line wasn't obsolete, just ran into oblivian by irish rail. it wasn't the first and it won't be the last. and its closure was certainly not for the good of the people, you only need to look at irish rails facebook to see how much they care about their customers. of course this line wasn't going to work as it was never marketed and most lightly people didn't think this line was still open. had their been good marketing and some extra services put on the line and it didn't work then fair enough close it or allow the community rail partnership to make a go of it. no point in lifting it and returning it to local farmers.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

As I pointed out earlier, given a level playing field, there should be potential for travellers from further west heading for the ferry.
    The local stations themselves are not really viable without the longer distance journeys that IE so sucessfully discouraged over the years.
    Oh and yes, I know Waterford is not in Co Wexford BUT to issue statistics about this line without including it is bogus

I doubt we're going to say much now that we didn't say over 44 pages of this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055851547
    at least until the SWIFFT people front up what their proposal actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

corktina wrote: »
    The population IS there...to the west you have Waterford,Limerick and Cork, to the East you have the UK and the rest of Europe. The fact is CIE didnt want it and have been trying to get rid for years by making it unattractive to these markets. It was never really a rural line , it was built to connect the GWR with it's Irish market.
    Waterford Limerick and Cork are well served by rail services as befits their populations and there are links to the UK and Europe Via Dublin which are much easier to get to than Rosslare ever was.
    If the train met every ferry and ran all the way through to Galway do you think there'd be enough patronage on the Rosslare-Waterford section to justify it?
    NO, Who would want to go from Bridgetown, Ballycullane, Wellingtonbridge or Campile to anywhere else en route to galway? they would need to put on a sleeper train for the length of that journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Wexford town is not. Bus/road is far quicker and shorter.

It isn't quicker at peak commuter periods - you have to travel through New Ross which is a massive bottleneck. It's one of the few train journeys in Ireland which absolutely slaughters the road journey times.

But you can't do Wexford to Waterford without going through Rosslare, which is pretty much the opposite direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dublin Spotter

You can do Waterford-Rosslare Strand-Wexford but not serve Rosslare Europort. Trains don't need to service Europort when there is no ferries to connect with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

But you can't do Wexford to Waterford without going through Rosslare, which is pretty much the opposite direction?

Nope. There is no direct route between Wexford and Waterford - all of them involve extra mileage to get to a crossing point over the Barrow.

The road goes westwards to New Ross before heading south to Waterford. The railway line goes south to Rosslare and then westwards to Waterford. The quicker average journey time by rail is due to the fact that it doesn't have to compete with other traffic at its crossing point. The advantage is even bigger from points south of Wexford because the only road route involves going via New Ross whereas the train takes a more direct route.

Advertisement