Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahern Resigns.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

grizzly wrote: »
    He says "The Mahon tribunal is not a court of law". He should been given a chance to clear his name if he is innocent of these allegations.

Hmm, he could always clear his name by allowing and co-operating with a full Garda investigation and let a jury deliberate over the evidence if needs be. Nothing to hide, right? . . .
    Got to charge him with something first and let's be clear he was cleared of corruption charges

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

rodento wrote: »
    Got to charge him with something first and let's be clear he was cleared of corruption charges

I am sure the Revenue would like to ask him about all that money, that he Ahern, does not even know where it came from. That would be a start, and any other sums since that may have dropped in his lap. He appears to be very lucky in finding sums of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    FF will not not be asking members of the executive to vote on Flynn or Ahern. Brush it under the carpet
    You mean they won't be expelling them because they have resigned?

If they voted to expel Ahern on Friday night, you'd then have people saying "ah but that's meaningless, he's already resigned".

If Ahern chose to fall on his sword, there's very little FF's National Executive can do about that, except be glad he's gone.

I mean, it's a bit like berating Fine Gael for having the cheek to allow Tom Hand to die before passing a motion against him following on from the Mahon report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

later12 wrote: »

Bertie talks a lot of guff, but he does make one important point that I think people may have overlooked without examining the substantive evidence in the Mahon report: tribunals are not infallible bodies.

No man-made entity is infallible. That's why we have such terms as "beyond reasonable doubt", or in the case of the tribunal - "in the balance of probability"(at least I think is). So the tribunal concluded in the balance of probability Bertie was lying through his teeth. Given the evidence he gave, I think that is the only conclusion they could of reached. At let's not forget - Bertie set up the Mahon Tribunal.

later12 wrote: »
    You mean they won't be expelling them because they have resigned?

If they voted to expel Ahern on Friday night, you'd then have people saying "ah but that's meaningless, he's already resigned".

If Ahern chose to fall on his sword, there's very little FF's National Executive can do about that, except be glad he's gone.

I mean, it's a bit like berating Fine Gael for having the cheek to allow Tom Hand to die before passing a motion against him following on from the Mahon report.

They will not even be discussing the matter. Spineless. All nice and tidy now so they can all carry on deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

They will not even be discussing the matter. Spineless. All nice and tidy now so they can all carry on deluded.
    What do you mean they "will not even be discussing the matter"?

I'm sure it will come up when the National Executive assemble later this week.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0326/breaking7.html
    Fianna Fáil party whip Seán Ó Fearghaíl confirmed the national executive meeting would go ahead regardless of whether or not further resignations were received. “It’s a matter of indifference to me whether he resigns voluntarily or whether we move to expel him on Friday. We are not going to have people within the Fianna Fáil party against whom these type of findings have been made.”

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0326/mahon.html
    Fianna Fáil Justice spokesman Dara Calleary said the agenda of Friday's meeting will be unaffected by today's announcements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The motions will go ahead regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

FF will not not be asking members of the executive to vote on Flynn or Ahern. Brush it under the carpet.... like it never happened. People will not be fooled by this little arrangement, where Ahern deludes himself further by playing the victim and the wronged party.

FF then deludes itself by not actually dealing with the issue and voting regardless of Ahern resigning. Same old FF then, and gutless to actually face up to its past. I suppose it saves one hypocrite accusing another hypocrite? What did we really expect from FF? It never was good with dealing with reality.

Your predictions have proven to be incorrect over the last few days, yet you keep on predicting further outcomes.
    Why?
    Is it because you think that on the law of averages you will get one right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I think its time we vote in someone more convincing and believable, that way next time we can actually be surprised instead of this patting ourselves of the back for sussing this stuttering, shifty eyed coward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Where did ahern run to avoid the fallout after he resigned?

NIGERIA FFS!

To give a speech on how to control their banks during economic growth, I kid you not!

You couldn't make this stuff up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Where did ahern run to avoid the fallout after he resigned?

NIGERIA FFS!

To give a speech on how to control their banks during economic growth, I kid you not!

You couldn't make this stuff up!
    just making sure the next batch of immigrants will be voting right

Wider Road wrote: »
    Your predictions have proven to be incorrect over the last few days, yet you keep on predicting further outcomes.
    Why?

My predictions were based on logic. I gave FF too much credit, in thinking that a) it would face up to its problems head on, so as to clear the air for public perception as much as anything b) I should have known that Ahern, Flynn etc would bail rather than face the music., just like the former did, when his secretary was left in the hot seat about his finances. So no real agenda to deal with then, and a nice cozy little arrangement. Lesson learned, do not apply logic or scruples when it comes to FF as ones predictions may come to naught.

If I recall correctly, I correctly predicted that FF would not expel Ahern.... it did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If I recall correctly, I correctly predicted that FF would not expel Ahern.... it did not.

How can you expel somebody who has resigned? :D That's like an employer sacking an employee after they've left!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Heather21

FF should go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It will go if people stop voting for it.

But then again, Michael Lowry is still a TD and has no trouble gaining re-election.

Life ain't always empty.

Why?

My predictions were based on logic. I gave FF too much credit, in thinking that a) it would face up to its problems head on, so as to clear the air for public perception as much as anything b) I should have known that Ahern, Flynn etc would bail rather than face the music., just like the former did, when his secretary was left in the hot seat about his finances. So no real agenda to deal with then, and a nice cozy little arrangement. Lesson learned, do not apply logic or scruples when it comes to FF as ones predictions may come to naught.

As the saying goes, "If you're explaining, you're losing".
    Stop digging!

K-9 wrote: »
    How can you expel somebody who has resigned? :D That's like an employer sacking an employee after they've left!

It was never going to come to that, nice staged and convenient for all. As I said FF were never going to expel Ahern. :)

Stop digging!

Whatever.....I was right. :)

Stop digging!

Whatever.....I was right. :)

No, you were not right.
    Still digging I see!

Advertisement