Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasty bullying taxi drivers

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Well you were foolish to "ask" in the first place .Was it the rank facing Trinity ?
    There is no shortage of cabs in the city. I don't need to deal with a cabbie who doesn't want the business. I no more want to listen to whinging than I do bigotry.
    Oh that's interesting ,,please tell us what these "nationalist, religious or exclusionist symbols " are
    Anything I deem so on the whims of the day. Plenty of supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

To be fair Oisin, I considered it a service industry when I taxi-ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

bk wrote: »
    Yes I did, they gave me a full refund and put the driver on notice.

I was going to make a complaint to the taxi regulator too, but I felt that the taxi company took sufficient action. The taxi company did say they would support me in any complaint made to the taxi regulator.

Note that the taxi company had my original booking details from the booking I made, plus they had the route he actually took via GPS, so it was an open and shut case.

Really I can't understand why you are so busy defending outrageous behaviour from taxi drivers like this. Are you one yourself?

Can you imagine if you walked into the shop and asked the shop keeper to buy a bottle of milk and he replied: "not worth it to me, go to the shop down the street".

Or when you went to buy the bottle of milk the shop keeper ignored you talking loudly on a phone instead and shouting at his passing friends.

No this would be unacceptable behaviour by a shop keeper and it is just as unacceptable for a taxi driver.

A taxi driver is there to serve his customers in a respectable and dignified manner.

Defend the driver ? Where did I do that ? I said and "i presume you reported the driver to the taxi company " , which you did

ballooba wrote: »
    There is no shortage of cabs in the city. I don't need to deal with a cabbie who doesn't want the business. I no more want to listen to whinging than I do bigotry..

no one is denying that there is no shortage of "cabs" in the city .But you failed to answer my question
    Anything I deem so on the whims of the day. Plenty of supply.

Again you failed to answer my question

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Defend the driver ? Where did I do that ? I said and "i presume you reported the driver to the taxi company " , which you did

I mean the original complaint we were talking about (driver refusing fare to Rathmines and talking loudly on a phone and shouting at passing taxi drivers), for instance you said:
    How can a person "laugh rudely"???
    FFS You're easily "offended " and have little to complain about .
    Hard to believe theres war and famine in the world

• Advertisement

no one is denying that there is no shortage of "cabs" in the city .But you failed to answer my question

Why would I feel obliged to answer anyone's questions? This is an internet forum, not a court of law. Consume my flippantry at your leisure, or don't.

Why would I feel obliged to answer anyone's questions? This is an internet forum, not a court of law. Consume my flippantry at your leisure, or don't.

Agreed ,But you made the comment about drivers and made various accusations about religious nationalist markings on cars .you were asked to identify the "offending" items and didnt .

Agreed ,But you made the comment about drivers and made various accusations about religious nationalist markings on cars .you were asked to identify the "offending" items and didnt .
    I made no such accusations. I only suggested an approach I would take to such drivers if I encountered them. You can interpret that as a hypothetical or otherwise. It's not treatment reserved for taxi drivers either. I consider myself a discerning consumer, sure don't we all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Well you were foolish to "ask" in the first place .Was it the rank facing Trinity ? Hard to believe any driver refuseing that fare .
    Secondly ,why did you ask before hand it's like you were almost apologetic ,what you do is SIT IN THE CAR and say the destination to the driver .Once you are in the car he cannot refuse. So why didnt you go to the other cars on the rank? what rank was it theres a few illegal ranks in that area

Oisindoyle,perhaps you can advise if the PSV regulations have altered in this matter ?

My understanding is that if a Taxi is plying for hire,either on a rank or cruising,then the driver is obliged to carry any intending passenger to their destination once it was/is within the Dublin Taximeter Area.

Going back over 30 years to my fathers time,he always insisted that you TOLD the Taxidriver your destination rather than asked,and it was also a very serious issue if a Taxidriver displayed a lack of knowledge of the City.

Perhaps if the intending Taxi Passenger did "toughen up" just a tad then the savage element might be reined in. :confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

bk wrote: »

Really I can't understand why you are so busy defending outrageous behaviour from taxi drivers like this. Are you one yourself?

you know oisin i get great ammusement watching you trip yourself up.:D. you also failed to answer bk's question :P. it doesn't matter what people say here. you'll always defend the industry, look for physical proof or say it's another taxi bashing thread.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

foggy_lad wrote: »

What are the many legitimate reasons that a taxi driver has refused a fare? They are far more likely to refuse fares because they only want to go north side or south side because they don't know the city they are driving in or because they only want a longer journey so refuse shorter fares, or they want business passengers from Heuston station or the airport so refuse the people that look like they might have free travel!

Has free travel been extended to taxis now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I've had all manner of complaints against Dublin taxi drivers (down the pub with the lads complaints, nothing reported) but I reckon that if a guy five cars up the rank asks why he is chosen ahead of the others then he is probably a decent guy, preferring to wait his turn instead of getting a job as quickly as he can to start looking for the next one. Of course it isn't his place to do so, he should just take the job but it shows he has morals and standards. If I'm waiting for a drink at a bar and someone beside me has been there longer, I'll always point the barman in their direction if they come to me first.

Service industry? If taxiing is not part of the service industry then why do people tip them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I used to love this.

A while back I lived abroad and would fly home fairly often. I would always get a taxi from Dublin Airport to Swords to my girlfriends house.

I had a system. I appreciate that the taxi guys would wait in line for a fare for some time. If the taxi driver didnt moan / sigh / complain , I used to give them €20 for the fare , it was probably only €6 or so on the meter. If there was any ****e out of them I used to tell them to drop me at the Coachmans pub right outside the airport and I would pay them in exact change. :)

No sympathy for them. For every short fare they get they crease a tourist I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Strituck wrote: »
    I used to love this.

A while back I lived abroad and would fly home fairly often. I would always get a taxi from Dublin Airport to Swords to my girlfriends house.

I had a system. I appreciate that the taxi guys would wait in line for a fare for some time. If the taxi driver didnt moan / sigh / complain , I used to give them €20 for the fare , it was probably only €6 or so on the meter. If there was any ****e out of them I used to tell them to drop me at the Coachmans pub right outside the airport and I would pay them in exact change. :)

No sympathy for them. For every short fare they get they crease a tourist I believe.

Too much money, a 250% tip on a regulated fare when you could just phone a taxi company to pick you up, someone who'd be glad of the €6 fare.

And too much time on your hands. How did you get back from the Coachmans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Strituck wrote: »
    I used to love this.

have you been sleeping under a big rock with your piles of money for the last 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Too much money, a 250% tip on a regulated fare
    He was obviously bursting for the ride. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The taxi industry without doubt is suffering from an image problem, but what really doesn't help is customers being told they need to man up. In my industry I listen to every criticism, as I'm always trying to improve (no business is perfect), but if a customer told me something that I didn't like to hear the last thing I would do is imply it's their fault, not mine.

Advertisement