Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasty bullying taxi drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You are wrong, foggy lad is right. I say this as someone who was a taxi driver for five years till I managed to get the hell out of it

Sorry, you actually are not right here.

The hiring only begins once the driver accepts the fare and starts the meter for the hiring party. There are set criteria specified by the NTA whereby a driver may lawfully refuse a fare whilst plying for hire be it at a rank, hailed off the street or via telephone. In relation to where you may wish to go, a driver is obliged to take you there within 30KM of where you are picked up but it's obviously in both party's interests to know where this is before the hire begins to avoid silly aggro. Certainly I never refused fares on the basis of location and the vast majority of drivers wouldn't, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The hiring only begins once the driver accepts the fare and starts the meter for the hiring party. There are set criteria specified by the NTA whereby a driver may lawfully refuse a fare whilst plying for hire be it at a rank, hailed off the street or via telephone. In relation to where you may wish to go, a driver is obliged to take you there within 30KM of where you are picked up but it's obviously in both party's interests to know where this is before the hire begins to avoid silly aggro. Certainly I never refused fares on the basis of location and the vast majority of drivers wouldn't, either.
    If a driver at a rank refuses any fare or refuses to take someone up to 30km or refuses to allow any passenger into their taxi without good reason they are no longer "for hire" so must immediately leave the rank!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's amazing how he has a cast iron knowledge on every single little aspect of transport, no matter what it may be. Oisin, I'd advise you to put him on ignore, which is what the majority of posters here have done, myself included. Your enjoyment of this site would vastly improve as a result :D
    On topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

n97 mini wrote: »
    A possible workaround is to pick the last cab in the rank. He/she should have nothing to complain about?

Do you have to pick the first taki in the rank?

If the first one is a smelly looking banger can you opt for the middle one or last one?

thethingis wrote: »
    Do you have to pick the first taki in the rank?

If the first one is a smelly looking banger can you opt for the middle one or last one?
    You may pick any taxi in the rank and if they refuse to take you they must leave the rank as they are no longer "for hire". You do not have to state any reason for refusing the first or any taxi on the rank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Every mobile phone has a video camera now.

I recommend that a passenger record all taxi journeys (making sure to get the Taxi number) and ask for a receipt.

I never go to a rank - bunch of douche bags there.

I hand pick the car by flagging down the one I wish to ride in.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

asked for a receipt last week as i believed i had been over charged. the guy couldn't produce one, and when i asked for his driver number he proceeded to get very angry, went to to boot and grabbed a baseball bat. i rang the gardai who were no help at all, i had to just run for my house. i took the reg number in my phone, checked it on cartell.ie and wouldn't you know it doesn't exist.

red nissan primera 04 lh reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

asked for a receipt last week as i believed i had been over charged. the guy couldn't produce one, and when i asked for his driver number he proceeded to get very angry, went to to boot and grabbed a baseball bat. i rang the gardai who were no help at all, i had to just run for my house. i took the reg number in my phone, checked it on cartell.ie and wouldn't you know it doesn't exist.

So don't let it go .Go to another Garda station make an official report and demand action

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

If you are parked at a rank you are deemed to be for hire and can only refuse based on the set criteria. No taxi can refuse a fare based on destination if its under 30km. Its nothing to do with when the hiring begins

I am right, i was in the game long enough to know what i am talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Well you cant second guess or assume why they wouldnt take you .You may have looked drunk or dodgy to them who knows ?? Rialto wouldnt be considered a "short fare" either, but there are some parts of Rialto that are considered dodgy.As I say you cannot assume or second guess ..

Well if it was because they thought I was drunk (which I wasn't) then why bother ask me where I was going. They could just tell me I was too drunk. No taxi has ever refused to take me when I was in very very serious drunken states in the past. Believe me, I know when I am drunk and that night wasnt one of them.

Well, I have never looked dodgy to anyone before; it seems convenient it happened at that particular night at that particular time....

For real? some taxi drivers would refuse to take you to Rialto? If anything, that is worse than refusing to serve me personally. I dont think taxi drivers should be allowed pick & choose which locations they go to. Fair enough if its a long fare that will take a few hours. But they are offering a service and I dont think they should be choosing which areas not to drop off. In fairness, Stephens Green - Rialto is 20 minutes there and back. Not a whole lot could happen in that time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Whenever I take a taxi, I always make sure my Bear Grylls machete is on full view.

Never get any grief from the "rankers".

Bear-Grylls-Survival-Series-Parang-Nylon-Sheath.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

What annoys me about these threads is how people lump all taxi men in the same bunch. calling them all lowlifes and scumbags. its just not true. Yes, there are some taxi drivers where i'd question how they got a car passed out, and got a licence.

When you get into a taxi. First thing you should do is look on the dashboard (or overhead mirror) there should be a Large yelllow ID card with the drivers name, photo and licence number. if the taxi driver doesnt have this on display, he is breaking the law (and May not even be insured if theres an accident)

When you get into the taxi, you are perfectly entitled to ask the taxi driver to see his Wallet ID card. (looks just like the larger card, and has a big anti forgery hollogram logo on it. Again, if the driver cant or wont produce this card, you really shouldnt use that taxi.

It is Taxi custom to take the first car on the rank. HOWEVER, you can pick what ever car you like (if you like the look of the merc over the sabb, take the merc). Common sence dictates that if you've a large group and theres a 8 seater, take that.

If a taxi refuses to take you. Ask why. If the journey is under 30km, or Outside the dublin limits, they can not refuse you. (if you are too drunk, abbusaive or look like your going to soil their car, they can)

If you have an accident in a taxi. there is a soilaige charge. (€140 if memory serves me correctly). If you refuse to pay (or cant) the taxi driver will contact the guards.

Remember that taxi drivers are people too. they are out to make a living, however they should be professional about it. Dont brush them all with the same brush. I'm sure taxi drivers can tell you plenty of storys about Passangers. the basic rule is. if your not happy, conforatable or weary of the drivers attitude, dont get into the taxi, Take note of the roof sign number, and get another one.

Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

What annoys me about these threads is how people lump all taxi men in the same bunch. calling them all lowlifes and scumbags. its just not true. Yes, there are some taxi drivers where i'd question how they got a car passed out, and got a licence.

That argument is valid if the people posting here had only 1 bad experience. However, most people have had multiple bad experiences. This suggests there is a substantial amount that are not treating the customer with the respect they deserve. Of course, there are drivers out there that do. But it seems that there are lots that do not....

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

That argument is valid if the people posting here had only 1 bad experience. However, most people have had multiple bad experiences. This suggests there is a substantial amount that are not treating the customer with the respect they deserve. Of course, there are drivers out there that do. But it seems that there are lots that do not....

There are thousands of taxi drivers in Dublin alone its not that hard to find stories of bad and abusive drivers. I do wonder if a thread was set up praising the good drivers would people be as quick to post.
    Its a problem that has been around since year dot people love to give out when things go wrong in business but if they get served well they don't feel the need to praise

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

wexford12 wrote: »
    There are thousands of taxi drivers in Dublin alone its not that hard to find stories of bad and abusive drivers. I do wonder if a thread was set up praising the good drivers would people be as quick to post.
    Its a problem that has been around since year dot people love to give out when things go wrong in business but if they get served well they don't feel the need to praise

Not to mention a thread about rude and abusive passengers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

2qk4u wrote: »
    Wrong !!

You are in fact wrong yourself there pal - Foggy Lad is correct.

To try and set the record straight. A driver cannot refuse a fare under 30km unless the person is abusive or going to or looks like they will be a danger or damage the car or driver.It does not matter if the person is outside the car or sits inside.
    The driver does not have to move of the rank if they refuse a fare no matter what the reason is. Its an old rank rule that the driver should move of or go to the end of the cue.Most drivers are self employed so don't have to take or follow rules from other drivers.
    Yes there are a lot of drivers out there with a huge chip on their shoulders only last night I heard a driver tell an older couple who asked how much the fare was going to be " to sit in and they would find out when they got there" typical of some of the brain dead drivers. Speaking of this i have seen a huge change in drivers mental health those who sit day and night on the ranks in Wexford and this shows sitting for hours on end doing nothing is not good for you it plays games in your head.
    I went in last night first time in ages and 3 1/2 hours later i got a €5.80 fare no job is worth that

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Reviews on places like Menupages and Tripadvisor suggest that is simply not true.

The reality is that the kind of treatment many passengers routinely receive from drivers in Dublin would be completely unacceptable in any other business. A restaurant or hotel where staff members verbally abuse their customers would be immediately named and shamed.

A general rule of thumb for any business is that, if things are going badly, taking it out on your customers is not going to improve matters.

Reviews on places like Menupages and Tripadvisor suggest that is simply not true.

The reality is that the kind of treatment many passengers routinely receive from drivers in Dublin would be completely unacceptable in any other business. A restaurant or hotel where staff members verbally abuse their customers would be immediately named and shamed.

A general rule of thumb for any business is that, if things are going badly, taking it out on your customers is not going to improve matters.

I agree but to put all drivers in the bunch of scum bags is just not on . I for one am far from a scum bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

Why not have a short journey rank at dublin airport and if a taxi driver wants the money they will use it,everybody will know what they are getting then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Not to mention a thread about rude and abusive passengers :)

Why are passengers rude and abusive?

Because they are drunk.

Why are they in a taxi?

Because they are drunk.

If you don't want to interact with drunken people then look for a job whose biggest customer base is people other than those using a service because they are drunk.

The driver does not have to move of the rank if they refuse a fare no matter what the reason is. Its an old rank rule that the driver should move of or go to the end of the cue.Most drivers are self employed so don't have to take or follow rules from other drivers.

If a taxi is parked or stopped at a rank or stand it must be for hire, this is a requirement of the taxi being on the rank or at the stand. If a driver refuses a fare without having a reasonable excuse for doing so, or refuses to take a person up to 30km because they may want to go further or because the passenger has not chosen the first car at the rank they are immediately putting themselves off hire and must leave the rank immediately!

It is an offence to be on a rank when not for hire and it is also an offence to be ranked in such a manner that will prevent you pulling away from the rank at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

this happened to me before , basically just moaned the whole trip about waiting on the rank and my short trip. I don't use the ranks any more, especially the one in the middle of connell street. Any time i do i end going on a tour of dublin rather than a direct route to my location, or getting the drivers racist views on how hard taxi drivers have it.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If a taxi is parked or stopped at a rank or stand it must be for hire, this is a requirement of the taxi being on the rank or at the stand. If a driver refuses a fare without having a reasonable excuse for doing so, or refuses to take a person up to 30km because they may want to go further or because the passenger has not chosen the first car at the rank they are immediately putting themselves off hire and must leave the rank immediately!

It is an offence to be on a rank when not for hire and it is also an offence to be ranked in such a manner that will prevent you pulling away from the rank at any time.

There is nothing in law to say that you must pull off a rank yes you should take the fare but if you don't you can still sit there where in the law does it say that you must pull of the rank

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i hope you complained about that

foggy_lad wrote: »

What offence is it then ? what is the exact offence?

jd83 wrote: »
    this happened to me before , basically just moaned the whole trip about waiting on the rank and my short trip. I don't use the ranks any more, especially the one in the middle of connell street. Any time i do i end going on a tour of dublin rather than a direct route to my location, or getting the drivers racist views on how hard taxi drivers have it.

So you sit in a car with the driver taking you "on a tour" and you the paying passenger just sit there and say nothing ?Mores the fool you

Why are passengers rude and abusive?

Because they are drunk.

Why are they in a taxi?

Because they are drunk.

If you don't want to interact with drunken people then look for a job whose biggest customer base is people other than those using a service because they are drunk.

Well thats a silly comment .
    People get taxis at all times of the day and can be rude and abusive ,WITHOUT being drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

jd83 wrote: »
    Any time i do..... getting the drivers racist views on how hard taxi drivers have it.

How does that happen?
    I read it on boards all the time but I've never experienced it myself

What were the two of you even talking about to get onto that subject :confused:
    Can you not chat about some light subject? Holidays or GAA or weather or some other trash.

If you want to chat to the driver sit in the front and chat away

If you couldn't be bothered and are tired, sit in the back, fold your arms and look out the window. The driver won't bother you, you can get them to turn off the radio too

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    How does that happen?
    I read it on boards all the time but I've never experienced it myself

What were the two of you even talking about to get onto that subject :confused:
    Can you not chat about some light subject? Holidays or GAA or weather or some other trash.

If you want to chat to the driver sit in the front and chat away

If you couldn't be bothered and are tired, sit in the back, fold your arms and look out the window. The driver won't bother you, you can get them to turn off the radio too

Then theres the other side of the coin ,where passengers get into a taxi and never shut up!

Advertisement