Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clocks forward tonight at 1.00am?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Best thing ever, watching your laptop clock make the change by itself!!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzln2vsRZo1qzlvmi.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I hate setting bloody digital clocks..........:(

But I like summer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

is this the good one?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

is this the good one?

No :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Should I chance my arm asking for an extra hours pay at work tonight. since I'll actually be there until 3 instead of 2!? :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I don't mind the clocks going forward an hour.

What really annoys me is when the clocks go back an hour just to suit Scottish farmers, even though it plunges England into darkness at 3pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sunday 25th March 1am GMT + 1 hour = BST (until Sunday 28th October).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

LordSutch wrote: »
    Sunday 25th March 1am GMT + 1 hour = BST (until Sunday 28th October).
    Do you mean Irish Standard Time.
    Ireland's official time is GMT+1, known as IST, we go back to GMT for the winter.
    BST is The UK going forward for the summer, from their official time of GMT. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

tick tock, tick tock went the funny old clock, is there not suppose to be a clock rights march in duberlin on Sunday,

I was reading something about in the clocks digest tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Can't wait, its summer baby!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

According to RTE.....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0324/summertime.html

Clocks go forward in Ireland at 1am tomorrow as summer time officially begins.

Summer time will officially end on Sunday 28 October.

No spring and autumn?

Ireland's official time is GMT+1, known as IST, we go back to GMT for the winter.
    Britain & Ireland share the same timezone, even though geographically Ireland should be 30 minutes behind Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Britain & Ireland share the same timezone, even though geographically Ireland should be 30 minutes behind Britain.

My father once told me about "country time" which was permanently half an hour behind Dublin time. I gather this would have been in the 1930s and 40s. It was all pretty official. The reason it was different was to do with maximising daylight time for agricultural production.

Does anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Jesus now I really am confused .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

There has been talk of stopping the time change in October, I wish they would, hate the clocks going back. Would get over the dark mornings if there was a slightly longer evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

There has been talk of stopping the time change in October, I wish they would, hate the clocks going back. Would get over the dark mornings if there was a slightly longer evening.

there has been talk about this since god was a gasun

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

But in 12 years you'd be going to bed at the brightest time of the day :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Sunday.

Tonight so then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

The further north in the world you go, the greater the stretch (and shrinkage) in the days. In the far North of Norway, for example, the sun rises some time in May and doesn't set again until the second half of August. The bad news is that in winter the situation is reversed and the sun never rises above the horizon for months. :)

An American tourist with a group visiting the place in summer asked a local Sámi: "What do folks do up here all year round?" To which he got the reply: "In summer we fish and fcuk. And in winter we don't fish so much." :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

The official time of Ireland is called Irish Standard Time, it is GMT+1, tonight we will return to this time, whereas in The UK their official time is GMT and tonight they will leave it.
    We both keep the same time, but whereas the UK advances one hour from their official time in the summer and revert back in the winter, we go back one hour from our official time in winter and return to our official one in summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Does this mean we get an hour less in bed starting Sunday?

yes!

But only the one day. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

No way. Getting up on the dark mornings is the most depressing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The official time of Ireland is called Irish Standard Time, it is GMT+1, tonight we will return to this time, whereas in The UK their official time is GMT and tonight they will leave it.
    We both keep the same time, but whereas the UK advances one hour from their official time in the summer and revert back in the winter, we go back one hour from our official time in winter and return to our official one in summer.

Giving it a different name doesn't mean that Ireland runs to a different clock from the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The official time of Ireland is called Irish Standard Time, it is GMT+1, tonight we will return to this time, whereas in The UK their official time is GMT and tonight they will leave it. We both keep the same time, but whereas the UK advances one hour from their official time in the summer and revert back in the winter, we go back one hour from our official time in winter and return to our official one in summer.

That sounds far too complicated, + that IST just sounds like a new name for BST to me, anyway seeing as this new 'Irish Standard Time' is the very same as BST I cant see the need to adopt this new fangled Irish name (for the same thing)! From Sunday morning at 1am Irish clocks will 'spring' forward one hour from GMT to BST along with the rest of the British Isles. Oops that's probably another term you disagree with? but hay, what's in a name, it just means that we will all get one hour less sleep (bugger) on Sunday morning, Irish, British, or other, living on this group of islands :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Breaks my heart to lose an hours sleep. Roll on Autumn when I get it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    The further north in the world you go, the greater the stretch (and shrinkage) in the days. :D:D

You reminded me of a video I watched last summer, it's a guy from Sweden doing a vlog at 1am in the night and it's as bright as day outside, it's crazy when you see it and think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

El Pistelero
    Try reading the whole of the first page of After Hours.
    Oh whoops, I actually went on to page two to have a look for a thread on it but must have missed it.
    Ok so it's confirmed.

Advertisement