Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letters coming in for interviews & informal offers. Post here! Mod note 1st post.

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Oh yay to everyone! Makes me re-live my excitement and nervousness of getting offered my course! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Azures

Galway here I come, first choice. It's just sinking in! It's been a long six months since the applications started- all worth while! Congrats everyone and well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Azures

Azures wrote: »
    No joy with Trinity for me - is it because they were my 4th and 5th choice?! :-p

At the risk of dragging up an old discussion. I've written to TCD 4 or 5 times now asking for feedback. No feedback, just an email saying I'll get a response- months ago. I was offered 5 similar courses, at other Universities- so my application was okay for everywhere else... Even though the course I've accepted was always my no.1 course, feeling badly treated by TCD, never had a choice to change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean1976

No joy with Trinity for me - is it because they were my 4th and 5th choice?! :-p

At the risk of dragging up an old discussion. I've written to TCD 4 or 5 times now asking for feedback. No feedback, just an email saying I'll get a response- months ago. I was offered 5 similar courses, at other Universities- so my application was okay for everywhere else... Even though the course I've accepted was always my no.1 course, feeling badly treated by TCD, never had a choice to change my mind.

TCD refused me two days after they interviewed me. I was then left with a choice between UCD and NUI Maynooth which both accepted me. So after a month working out the pros and cons of both TCD decide to offer me my no1 choice just last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Uoga

Hi All. Congrats everyone. I wonder how people get a few offers? I enquired with cao, they insist that they offer only your first choice and that's it, even thou the university said that I was "successful" on my 2 choices? Is it up to CAO to make a final decision? It's a bummer I did not use change of mind form, because I thought I'll get both offers and can decide there and then.... p.s. CAO says on the offer letter that "there may be more than one offer on this notice", so why just one offer?!!? Anyone could explain to a greedy person - very much appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

You might have chosen a level 7 and level 8 course.
    You would have to make a choice if you were offered both.

Uoga wrote: »
    Hi All. Congrats everyone. I wonder how people get a few offers? I enquired with cao, they insist that they offer only your first choice and that's it, even thou the university said that I was "successful" on my 2 choices? Is it up to CAO to make a final decision? It's a bummer I did not use change of mind form, because I thought I'll get both offers and can decide there and then.... p.s. CAO says on the offer letter that "there may be more than one offer on this notice", so why just one offer?!!? Anyone could explain to a greedy person - very much appreciated. Thanks

1st well done on getting a place in university. The CAO Will only offer you your highest preference on a level 8 and they will also offer you the highest placed level 6/7 anything below these are now discounted in any further offers. So if you have one uni as 1st preference and the other as no2 you will be offered no 1 only and all the others are now obsolete. The only furthur offers you can be offered are if let's say the two courses were number 3 and 4 on you preference list. You could take the risk and hold out for your top preferance, but that is a big risk.

Good luck with the future

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭anfield bound

I got bounced from the course sean is talking about below two days after I did the interview as well. I asked for feedback and was told it would take a month. One of the interviewers eventually got back to me, but all he said was " There's probably no point giving you feedback now as you'll have done the rest of your interviews". As it happens, I had and had been offered my first choice, but for anyone who was facing the prospect of holding off 'til next year I thought it was a bit below par.
    sean1976 wrote: »
    TCD refused me two days after they interviewed me. I was then left with a choice between UCD and NUI Maynooth which both accepted me. So after a month working out the pros and cons of both TCD decide to offer me my no1 choice just last week.

On a separate note, I got the letter from the CAO today. Does anyone know what they mean by "score" under each of the courses you applied for?
    Is it points you picked up in the interview/ application process?
    It would kind of make sense if it was and they were scoring us out of 1000, but then DIT wade in with 9999 and blow that logic out of the water. Although I did do my access course there so maybe they were just being super, SUPER nice about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

On a separate note, I got the letter from the CAO today. Does anyone know what they mean by "score" under each of the courses you applied for?
    It would kind of make sense if it was and they were scoring us out of 1000, but then DIT wade in with 9999 and blow that logic out of the water. Although I did do my access course there so maybe they were just being super, SUPER nice about it!

Its a bit messy trying to figure it out I've googled it and from previous years 999 seemed to be the norm but there were some other scores mixed in.

I got 999 for the courses I was deemed eligible and those colleges required the MSAP so i am assuming the disparities in scoring is down to the individual college scoring schemes

I got bounced from the course sean is talking about below two days after I did the interview as well. I asked for feedback and was told it would take a month. One of the interviewers eventually got back to me, but all he said was " There's probably no point giving you feedback now as you'll have done the rest of your interviews". As it happens, I had and had been offered my first choice, but for anyone who was facing the prospect of holding off 'til next year I thought it was a bit below par.

On the feedback, i was lucky to have the same person interview me on my second interview for trinity.

So I began the interview by apologising for my 1st interview and thanking them for giving me the chance to redem myself, with that she gave me great feedback of my last interview at the start, which I used to give a great interview  or so i taught a week later got the thanks but no thanks letter.

Anfield are you doing law and political science in TCD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I could be wrong but in surveys etc. 99, 999, 9999 all usually mean not applicable, so maybe those colleges aren't giving scores & maybe some scores are for if you had an exam.

Congrats to all who got what they wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Muir wrote: »
    I could be wrong but in surveys etc. 99, 999, 9999 all usually mean not applicable, so maybe those colleges aren't giving scores & maybe some scores are for if you had an exam.

Congrats to all who got what they wanted!

Yeah i got 9999 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think feedback from unis depends on the department itself. When I didn't get a place, both UL and TCD got back to me quite promptly with feedback. UCD were terrible. :cool: I emailed, wrote a letter and went into the building (as I had started the access course there).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Uoga

1st well done on getting a place in university. The CAO Will only offer you your highest preference on a level 8 and they will also offer you the highest placed level 6/7 anything below these are now discounted in any further offers. So if you have one uni as 1st preference and the other as no2 you will be offered no 1 only and all the others are now obsolete. The only furthur offers you can be offered are if let's say the two courses were number 3 and 4 on you preference list. You could take the risk and hold out for your top preferance, but that is a big risk.

Good luck with the future

Thanks Sean, that is my problem and have only myself to kick for it: both choices were level 8, and I've placed my preferences other way around- my 1st was one that I thought I have better chance to get in and 2nd - just thougth I'll stick that in there, but haven't got much hope (simply because there was very few places and I thought I have no chance anyway). And the the uni confirmed that I succeeded in both! An then I made major error-didn't use change of mind facility, because - so stupid of me - thought I would get offered both and would be able to pick one at the end anyway... Can't kick myself enough for being such an idiot. A harsh lesson for greedy people...

Advertisement