Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limousin premier sale roscrea

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

wexf0rd wrote: »
    I wouldnt agree with that. Poor blues were making the same money as average cattle of other continental breeds.

A poor blue was making the same money as a poor CH or a poor LM around here last back end. There was no premium price for a poor one, but a good one suitable for export was making a premium over other breeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

wexf0rd wrote: »
    I wouldnt agree with that. Poor blues were making the same money as average cattle of other continental breeds. As for blues off the dairy herd. No other cross like them on my opinion, 3-4 week old calves easily making 400 euro.
    I saw ch weanlings going 100/150 euro more than similar weight blues last year .
    We have blue cows out of fresians , TBH they are soft and I wouldnt be overly impressed with their calves . There are more middling ones than very good ones but maybe thats down to bull choice .
    400 for a three week old calf is great for the dairy man no doubt about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

reilig wrote: »
    A poor blue was making the same money as a poor CH or a poor LM around here last back end. There was no premium price for a poor one, but a good one suitable for export was making a premium over other breeds.

Ya. That's exactly what I meant except I didn't put it quite so well. With their superior weight gain per day though I think they are still as good as the charolais though as the charolais is probably in our experience the softest and hardest calved calf of all.

moy83 wrote: »
    I saw ch weanlings going 100/150 euro more than similar weight blues last year .
    We have blue cows out of fresians , TBH they are soft and I wouldnt be overly impressed with their calves . There are more middling ones than very good ones but maybe thats down to bull choice .
    400 for a three week old calf is great for the dairy man no doubt about it

Have to say I didn't see that about here. There is still a premium for good blues though. Last Saturday in Carnew I saw a batch of blues ~450kg make from €1250 to €1420 at 11 - 13 months old. About 15 of them in all.

I would disagree too. We sold blues heifers in Carnew that went to Sleedagh farm for feeding on. 365-390 kg made from €870 to €960. That is as good as or better than the plainer ones of any continental breed.

They were obviously good cattle to get to that weight. A farmer would be a long time getting a BB calf off a dairy cow which was bucket fed to that weight as a weinling and they certainly wouldn't get to that price as a weinling.

• Advertisement

They were obviously good cattle to get to that weight. A farmer would be a long time getting a BB calf off a dairy cow which was bucket fed to that weight as a weinling and they certainly wouldn't get to that price as a weinling.
    Anyone that has had blues know the type, good cattle but not good enough for the ship. A little too plain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Have to say I didn't see that about here. There is still a premium for good blues though. Last Saturday in Carnew I saw a batch of blues ~450kg make from €1250 to €1420 at 11 - 13 months old. About 15 of them in all.
    Thats good money they must be nice stuff . It was in Athenry I saw the difference so maybe they dont have the buyers around here for them but the charolais were in way more demand

Thats good money they must be nice stuff . It was in Athenry I saw the difference so maybe they dont have the buyers around here for them but the charolais were in way more demand

Ya, different areas and even different marts have different demands. As a blue breeder though I want to bury my head in the sand and think everybody wants a blue bull. The society sale in Roscrea last Saturday says different though apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 wexf0rd

Thats the way it always is, when blues become a bit scarcer they will be flying again. Blues are also much hardier and easier calves than charolais imo. Muscle is easier moved than bone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Not bad so!! just started training a young fella on the halter... all going well we'l be collecting €10,400 for him next march:D:D we can always dream;)
    I have a few LM bulls for sale but never halter trained them. You very much limit your sales options by not doing so. Keep training him and you just might get that price!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Our 35mth limmy bull realised 2800 as part of our suckler clearance sale 2wks ago. He was cheap at that but we did not loose money on him either

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stand on!!

How did you get on with the sale of your cows ? Its very hard pick up good cows and calves the last while, hopefully they'll be more plentiful in the next few weeks

stand on!! wrote: »
    How did you get on with the sale of your cows ? Its very hard pick up good cows and calves the last while, hopefully they'll be more plentiful in the next few weeks

Got on ok, not poorly and not fantastically either but about what we expected.
    Had a good size crowd but my impression was few enough serious buyers... Just lookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stand on!!

a special sale always draws the on lookers , they looked fine stock from the donedeal ad anyway. Is there many cows with calves in the martrs down yer side of the country?

Big suckler sale in Carnew tomorrow. About 30 in calf and with calves at foot in 1 batch. About60 expected in all.

49801 wrote: »
    Our 35mth limmy bull realised 2800 as part of our suckler clearance sale 2wks ago. He was cheap at that but we did not loose money on him either

My inlaws bought a limousin bull from a cousin of mine in 2004 for €2000. They factoried him last summer for €2150. In the 8 years that they had him, they only ever had to assist 2 calvings from cows that he served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

My inlaws bought a limousin bull from a cousin of mine in 2004 for €2000. They factoried him last summer for €2150. In the 8 years that they had him, they only ever had to assist 2 calvings from cows that he served.

good going, my ch bull id say is the easiest calving ch bull we ever had but even still i have to give a hand with the odd one,
    the limo website had a thing going last year where they were looking for the oldest limo stock bull still in action, jeez some of them were ancient, it might still be up onthe website

good going, my ch bull id say is the easiest calving ch bull we ever had but even still i have to give a hand with the odd one,
    the limo website had a thing going last year where they were looking for the oldest limo stock bull still in action, jeez some of them were ancient, it might still be up onthe website

17 years was the oldest one on it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

49801 wrote: »
    Got on ok, not poorly and not fantastically either but about what we expected.
    Had a good size crowd but my impression was few enough serious buyers... Just lookers.

What did that nice looking simmental cow, you had up on donedeal make?

pakalasa wrote: »
    What did that nice looking simmental cow, you had up on donedeal make?

€1730

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Anyone go to the Limousin Bull sale in Roscrea last Monday, 10 March 2014 ?
    http://www.irishlimousin.com/html/roscrea_mar_14.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

heard a few poor reports
    Anyone go to the Limousin Bull sale in Roscrea last Monday, 10 March 2014 ?
    http://www.irishlimousin.com/html/roscrea_mar_14.html

Today's journal gives a very limited report from it - which means that it was very poor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Round Bale wrote: »

Long gestation periods may be a challenge in dairy as beef struggling to pay big cash given margins

Advertisement