Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limousin premier sale roscrea

Options
  • 19-03-2012 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

i would love to hear a mart report from someone who was at the sale.i usually go myself as it isnt far from me but had something else on today.i was looking at the catologue last week,there were some top class bulls on paper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

If you go to "Farming eye" on facebook or on Net There are 3 or 4 reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

looks like it was some trade 51 sold for over €4000.............
    forget the celtic tiger hellow the celtic cow .. or bull in this case!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Judging from prices on donedeal, I though Lim breeding Bulls were cheap this year compared to other cattle.

Anybody at the Roscrea Premier Limousin Bull Sale today?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭farmerjack

pakalasa wrote: »
    Anybody at the Roscrea Premier Limousin Bull Sale today?

Check irish limousins twitter feed they posted updates on it all day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Some very good prices according to the twitter feed!

Good prices considering there was 165 bulls on offer.

Good prices considering there was 165 bulls on offer.

Just went through the twitter feed in detail - there's no more than 80 prices up there. I'm assuming that there was only a 50% clearance on the day so. Was looking for prices of a couple of people that I know had bulls there, but cannot see them. I'm guessing that they weren't sold.

They did that for the last premier heifer sale too. They reported a high average sale price, but never said what the clearance rate was. I was at that sale and I thought demand was very poor. To read the report you would think it was a great sale. Good marketing, I suppose.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I was at the sale yesterday. I thought it was a very good sale for the quality animals. There did not seem to a lack of buyers or money:D

The plainer animal (of which there were some) though pushed with meal were a hard sell. The chances were that they would melt away once put to work.

Reilig - There was probably 30 ish bulls that never made it to the sale (I will add them up tonight to get the exact number:rolleyes:)

I stayed for approx 80+ sales and can only remember 6 ish that were not sold.

However selling 130+ bulls in one go is fair going for all. George Chandler is someman for selling. I have to admit to being a fan!!!

The were taking telephone bids and it was standing room only in the ring. Such was the crowd they had a man relaying bids back in from where the animals are pinned.

I was talking to a fella that was at the Ch sale in Athenry on Saturday and he made out that there was very little demand even though there was only 35ish bulls.

• Advertisement

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    ... George Chandler is someman for selling. I have to admit to being a fan!!!...
    Ya, he's entertainment in himself. Brilliant auctioneer in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

i see on the limo website only 81 bulls sold out of 160ish entered. not hectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I did the count of the number of bulls that did'nt turn up on the day and it was 57. This leaves it at 75% clearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Ya, he's entertainment in himself. Brilliant auctioneer in fairness.

Ya he is entertaining but if you see him once you have seen him all the time. If I have heard him say "what part of his anatomy is not worth another €100" once I have heard it ten times.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I did the count of the number of bulls that did'nt turn up on the day and it was 57. This leaves it at 75% clearance.

Not bad so!! just started training a young fella on the halter... all going well we'l be collecting €10,400 for him next march:D:D we can always dream;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Anybody noticed the significant number of bulls, advertised on Donedeal. Same bulls, that were up there in January / February, still being advertised. Some good looking stock too.
    I bid €2700 on one such animal. Didn't get him. Seller asked €3200 and had come down to €3000. Good lim bull out of Sympa.
    He went to Roscrea. Came home again. Got call yesterday, asking if I was interested at my last bid of €2700.
    Too many fellas selling bulls, asking and expecting far too much money. Too many customer farmers, have small herds, of fifteen cows or less. There is a limit to how much you can spend on a bull, to get an economic return, across a small number of cows, no matter how good the bull might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Ya he is entertaining but if you see him once you have seen him all the time. If I have heard him say "what part of his anatomy is not worth another €100" once I have heard it ten times.

only seen him once but he was starting to do my head in after an hr or so

I think also during the celtic tiger, pedigree breeding was seen as a good return for all that spare cash lying around from the building boom. Land was just too expensive, so upgrading the quality of stock on the farm was seen as a better option. In fairness, when you see guys coming in from Holland to buy bulls, it speaks for itself on the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

often heard him say that, entertaining auctioneer alright, best auctioneer ive seen to sell cattle imo, many lads that bring cattle to kilkenny mart only bring them on the day he will sell them, this week he sellls blks next week heifers etc. and i can see why he is not afraid to push an animal on, take bids off the wall, he knows the value of an animal

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

simx wrote: »
    often heard him say that, entertaining auctioneer alright, best auctioneer ive seen to sell cattle imo, many lads that bring cattle to kilkenny mart only bring them on the day he will sell them, this week he sellls blks next week heifers etc. and i can see why he is not afraid to push an animal on, take bids off the wall, he knows the value of an animal

heard a good few previous sellers are now going to central auctions since harty left kk and joined ca many of them coming long journeys at that

• Advertisement

Did the 5 star bulls tend to sell at the sale better than the lower star animals?
    Anyone that is in BTAP will be looking to buy a 5 star bull to satisfy one of the measures.
    Personally, I will be buying a CH bull next year and will definitely be buying a 5 star again regardless of whether I'm in BTAP or not. Difference in quality is clearly noticable.

So are you going away from the BB's Reilig?

So are you going away from the BB's Reilig?

Not at all. I have ~ 20 black limousin cows either calved to or soon to calve to BB's this year. I also have a few pedigree limousin cows to BB that won't be calving for another month. The rest of the cows always run with a CH bull.

Did reasonably well with my BB calves last year. Did equally as well price wise with my CH calves. People will ask if BB are worth the hassle so? Funny thing is that BB are no hassle. Much easier calved on average than CH. Quicker to get on their feet and hardier calves. They have a better daily weight gain also along with shorter gestation. Only hassle is getting them for AI, and I have a fairly good system for that. Other thing is that CH doesn't go as well on black cows as it does on yellow, white or red cows. Mousey brown calves usually take a small bit of a hit in price over red, white or yellow calves.

I suppose I'm at a crossroads at the moment. A lot of people are saying that there isn't a future in breeding BB's. I'll let this year's prices decide that and cut down on Black cows over the next 3 years if needed. Will have to see what the twists and turns of the road bring down the line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

reilig wrote: »
    Not at all. I have ~ 20 black limousin cows either calved to or soon to calve to BB's this year. I also have a few pedigree limousin cows to BB that won't be calving for another month. The rest of the cows always run with a CH bull.

Did reasonably well with my BB calves last year. Did equally as well price wise with my CH calves. People will ask if BB are worth the hassle so? Funny thing is that BB are no hassle. Much easier calved on average than CH. Quicker to get on their feet and hardier calves. They have a better daily weight gain also along with shorter gestation. Only hassle is getting them for AI, and I have a fairly good system for that. Other thing is that CH doesn't go as well on black cows as it does on yellow, white or red cows. Mousey brown calves usually take a small bit of a hit in price over red, white or yellow calves.

I suppose I'm at a crossroads at the moment. A lot of people are saying that there isn't a future in breeding BB's. I'll let this year's prices decide that and cut down on Black cows over the next 3 years if needed. Will have to see what the twists and turns of the road bring down the line!
    ai man was saying to me that demand for blue straws has fallen massively whether or that that a refection of whats happening nationally

ai man was saying to me that demand for blue straws has fallen massively whether or that that a refection of whats happening nationally

I'd say it's a national thing. This year, if your blue wasn't fit for the boat, you got a poor price for him in comparison to a similar weight animal of another continental breed.

George in action;

• Registered Users Posts: 39 wexf0rd

I'd say it's a national thing. This year, if your blue wasn't fit for the boat, you got a poor price for him in comparison to a similar weight animal of another continental breed.
    I wouldnt agree with that. Poor blues were making the same money as average cattle of other continental breeds. As for blues off the dairy herd. No other cross like them on my opinion, 3-4 week old calves easily making 400 euro.

I

I would disagree too

• Advertisement

I would disagree too. We sold blues heifers in Carnew that went to Sleedagh farm for feeding on. 365-390 kg made from €870 to €960. That is as good as or better than the plainer ones of any continental breed.

Advertisement