Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a laptop recommendation | Business

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Not for laptops, but I've bought lots of parts off them in the past.

As it's for a business, can you wait 3 weeks for a problem to be fixed? Well, maybe not three weeks, but it'll need to be shipped back to Germany, fixed, and shipped back, etc, etc.

For consumers this is okay, but for businesses, it depends on how critical to the business your laptop is, esp as it'll be used in the office, as well as at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

komplett.ie
    saveonlaptops.co.uk
    computeruniverse.net

How important is ruling out Home as an OS? It really narrows your selection.

Computeruniverse is cheaper than Hardwareversand and has better selection, watch out for German layout Keyboards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Intended use: not too demanding. Mobility: not too improtant.

May I ask why you want to spend 1,500 Euro when your requirements are so easily met with a 600-700 euro purchase?

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to spend your money but I'd also hate to provide you with an overkill solution just for the sake of it. As for hardwareversand.de, is your colleague prepared to deal with a QWERTZ keyboard? I'd understand if one resorts to shopping abroad in order to save money on some off-the-rails consumer product... IMHO you should rather spend your money a top class business laptop, i.e. a Dell Precision with an extended warranty if you're so desperate to get rid of 1,500 Euro.

From quick look, It pretty much rules out Komplett and only leaves about 10 options on saveonlaptops and computeruniverse combined! Within your big budget.
    Cost?
    German Keyboard Layout

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭GowlBag

I spent just over €900 on a Dell recently and will never buy one again. Pure dirt. ****ty (<generic) quality mouse pad was the outstanding feature! And it's not the first one I've encountered from Dell. I repeat, never again. I'd love to drive a sledge thru the fücker.

Toshiba €830 Apart from Full HD, it covers everything. Even the Blu-Ray and Windows Professional<-->assuming this is same as enterprise.

Asus €850, Full HD, 7200rpm HDD (Their is a difference, I don't care what anyone says), good graphics, No Blu, no professional,

Asus €1030 Tank

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_Ethos_8951G_1091467.html

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Stacey.

Should definitely go for a Dell.

GowlBag wrote: »
    I spent just over €900 on a Dell recently and will never buy one again. Pure dirt. ****ty (<generic) quality mouse pad was the outstanding feature! And it's not the first one I've encountered from Dell. I repeat, never again. I'd love to drive a sledge thru the fücker.
    Stacey. wrote: »
    Should definitely go for a Dell.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Lenovo thinkpads built like IBM thinkpads. Original of the species and best.

Lenovo t520 - if you are fast they have 10% off for paddys weekend and perhaps a day or two after. Rock solid laptops. You c an get a 3 year accidental directly from the manufacturer for a reasonable fee.

Only laptop ok by NASA to go on space flights. YouTube them. You
    Can pour water on the keyboard and it will channel it through the machine and it still works! I've dropped mine and a free fall sensor lock the hard drive - still works! Shelll is like a tank. Matt black

Buy a german key board and add it your self if you want. I did that win a French kb.

Dells are very hit and miss. If you get a Lemmon dell wont look after you as I found out.

Dells are laughable compared to top end thinkpads.

Www.lenovo.ie

I wouldn't recommend any consumer products and just compare prices with specs to save a few quid.

With a decent budget, I'd be considering build quality and warranty terms first. The Latitude and Precision series have a very good reputation, ditto the Thinkpad T series (arguably at a price). A sufficiently specced Thinkpad T or Latitude with extended warranty shouldn't cost you more than 1,000 Euro

Also take into consideration whether or not they have local repair facilities. Not good if the laptop will have to be shipped off to someplace abroad and you may have to wait weeks on end to get it back.

uberalles wrote: »

Comparing apples with oranges, are we? ;)

Sure, the Inspiron/Vostro series is rubbish, but a Dell Precision will give any "top end Thinkpad" a damn good run for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

Torqay wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend any consumer products and just compare prices with specs to save a few quid.

With a decent budget, I'd be considering build quality and warranty terms first. The Latitude and Precision series have a very good reputation, ditto the Thinkpad T series (arguably at a price). A sufficiently specced Thinkpad T or Latitude with extended warranty shouldn't cost you more than 1,000 Euro

Also take into consideration whether or not they have local repair facilities. Not good if the laptop will have to be shipped off to someplace abroad and you may have to wait weeks on end to get it back.

I bought 2 x Dell Lattitudes for circa 1400 inc VAT. One was a complete lemon. Dell didnt look after me and everything bar the shell was changed multiple time. BS laptop. Ive had several Dell and several of them have simply been not worth the money.

The build quality of the latest Lattitude look cheap and feel cheap and thats meant to be a business classs / corporate model? Simply not worth the money IMO.

I work hard for my money and spent a year reseraching the best Laptop on the market. Its the T series Thinkpad hands down.

Lenovo - Next day business accidental warranty. But the best thing is when a laptop is built so well that you dont need the warranty!
    Got that.

I dropped mine form a metre height - no problem at all. Didnt even reboot.
    Solid build. Metal hinges. A tank.

Ive a T520 - very happy. A friend has T420s with a french Keyboard - Very happy. Another friend had the X tablet range for 4 years - no probs and he travels all over the world with it. All take a beating. All no problem.

IBM made the first laptops and Lenovo follows in their foot steps.

Try these out with a new Dell !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CrpUU3cCPE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cvi00OZDM

I had a Lenovo T before my current Precision, both extremely robust and excellent machines. Never had any problems with either, although I have to admit that I'm not in the business of tossing laptops around (which wouldn't cause much damage to its SSD anyway) or flying into outer space.

The one thing I do know, Dell does have local repair shops and a decent replacement policy, especially for business customers.

thethingis wrote: »
    The build quality of the latest Lattitude look cheap and feel cheap and thats meant to be a business classs / corporate model? Simply not worth the money IMO.

I haven't had a chance to get my hands on the new Latitude but I know they have been engineered to military standards for enhanced and proven durability. And they certainly don't look cheap:

25799567s.jpg

And the plasticky look of the Lenovo is certainly no match for the Precision:

91261078.jpg

96940664.jpg

But if you want really robust and rugged, for 1,200 yoyos the Latitude ATG is all yours:

55309739.jpg

But then, we're talking business laptops here, not a beauty contest. ;)

I had a Lenovo T before my current Precision, both extremely robust and excellent machines. Never had any problems with either, although I have to admit that I'm not in the business of tossing laptops around (which wouldn't cause much damage to its SSD anyway) or flying into outer space.

The one thing I do know, Dell does have local repair shops and a decent replacement policy, especially for business customers.

Lenovo have NBD Next Business Day onsite warranty available so they are "local" as well.

Have to disagree there. I had a Latitude for Circa 1400 euros. Had 3 mother boards and various other parts replaced. It was given so much surgery that the lid used to flop open to a 180 degree by itself. Never worked properly.

I was a "business customer" with business class warranty with Dell and they gave me the run around.
    Business laptop never worked properly. Had a 3 year NBD warranty.
    Could NOT get it replaced despite escalating as I had no other choices aft countless repair efforts

I called lenovo for a faulty DVD rom. Was delivered 2 days later.
    IBM route the support calls.

I haven't had a chance to get my hands on the new Latitude but I know they have been engineered to military standards for enhanced and proven durability. And they certainly don't look cheap:

> I disagree. Ive seen them and they feel cheap to handle. The shell is cheap and not robust. Millitary stsndards? ISO? BS? So are some Plastic Christmas trees but it doesnt mean the Millatary would use them. Its an indication of quality not the b all and end all.

And the plasticky look of the Lenovo is certainly no match for the Precision:

> Again I disagree. Ive a Lenovo T520 in from of me. Classic matt black, if you scratch it, its doesnt show. Its a plastic resin of black not a black spray
    on top of something like some of the the Dells.

91261078.jpg

96940664.jpg

But if you want really robust and rugged, for 1,200 yoyos the Latitude ATG is all yours:

55309739.jpg

But then, we're talking business laptops here, not a beauty contest. ;)

Just as well.

Well, I had never any problems with either company's products and service. And I'm not married to them ;)

But I'll leave it at this, there's no point in arguing with you... haters gonna hate.

Just FYI, the Latitude's casing has been tested to the US military's MIL-STD 810G standard, a series of 23 tests that gage a product's ruggedness, ranging from basic drop tests to a ballistic shock test, with many in between that test for an ability to withstand extreme temperatures, rain, humidity, sand and dust. Other tests look at more specific atmospheric elements such as fungus, salt fog, and freezing rain, as well as low pressure, which measures a product's ability to operate at high altitudes.

• Advertisement

Well, I had never any problems with either company's products and service. And I'm not married to them ;)

But I'll leave it at this, there's no point in arguing with you... haters gonna hate.

Just FYI, the Latitude's casing has been tested to the US military's MIL-STD 810G standard, a series of 23 tests that gage a product's ruggedness, ranging from basic drop tests to a ballistic shock test, with many in between that test for an ability to withstand extreme temperatures, rain, humidity, sand and dust. Other tests look at more specific atmospheric elements such as fungus, salt fog, and freezing rain, as well as low pressure, which measures a product's ability to operate at high altitudes.

But if it freezes up all the time after fresh operating systems are installed several times and new mother boards are installed x 3 times - Will Dell replace it? In my experience with a business NBD accidental damage warranty the answer to that was a NO. 1400 euro down the toilet.
    So IMHO go with a company that stands over the warranty they sell and its NOT Dell.

I still think the Latitude has a cheap shell. Ive seen it.
    Inferior quality and inferior customer service.

Since laptops were invented its always has been a two horse between IBM and Toshiba for quality and service. Dell were never in the running from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭trellheim

My Latitude E6500 is still burbling along after 2 1/2 years. a couple weeks in, we had to do a screen replace, I was on work in the UK, the chap came round from the UK repair service, and sorted me out in an hour. Go for NBD onsite

I had one hard drive crash but hands up it was my own old Samsung I'd put into it, replaced with a WD raptor and it flies now

the latitude's been dropped so many times nearly every but of case is cracked, but it still works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

uberalles wrote: »
    Lenovo thinkpads built like IBM thinkpads. Original of the species and best.

Lenovo t520 - if you are fast they have 10% off for paddys weekend and perhaps a day or two after. Rock solid laptops. You c an get a 3 year accidental directly from the manufacturer for a reasonable fee.

Only laptop ok by NASA to go on space flights. YouTube them. You
    Can pour water on the keyboard and it will channel it through the machine and it still works! I've dropped mine and a free fall sensor lock the hard drive - still works! Shelll is like a tank. Matt black

Buy a german key board and add it your self if you want. I did that win a French kb.

Dells are very hit and miss. If you get a Lemmon dell wont look after you as I found out.

Www.lenovo.ie

^^^ This ^^^

You get what you pay for, it's as simple as that. I do a lot of travelling so I need a decent laptop which can take a few knocks. I've had dells, sony vaios, toshibas and hp machines and they've literally fallen to pieces.

One nice feature which has saved me on more than one occasion is the built in thinkvantage software, very useful indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

^^^ This ^^^

You get what you pay for, it's as simple as that. I do a lot of travelling so I need a decent laptop which can take a few knocks. I've had dells, sony vaios, toshibas and hp machines and they've literally fallen to pieces.
    I've had a few sony vaios over the years, found the business ones to be excellent and robust but my OH has Lenovo and its the equivalent of an old Nokia phone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

OP
    How about next business day warranty?
    Can Acer or Saveonlaptops guarantee you that?
    If I were you I would narrow my choice to brand names.
    Dell or Lenovo

After all you are still looking for a business laptop, right?

So it will certainly get its fair share of travelling then? Since you have a pretty decent budget, order a solid state disk rather than a old fashioned platter hard disc drive, they tend to be the first component to go south in a laptop. And SSDs are just so much more fun than HDDs. ;)

• Advertisement

Advertisement