Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-03-2012, 16:12   #1
Cherry_Cola

Lenovo Computer Issue - Advice Needed

Ok guys, this is going to be a little long but any assistance/advice would greatly be appreciated.

Basically I received a Lenovo B520 All in one computer as a gift from a family member at Christmas. All was working fine until a moth later, where the screen would display a strange mix of colours and crash and reboot.

Being comfortable with computers, I began to troubleshoot the problem and eventually narrowed it down to most likely being a video card failure. It's important to note that I didn't not remove any hardware or the casing or anything like that for the troubleshoot so there are no issues there.

I called customer support and arranged a pick up of the computer, which was to be sent for repair and returned to me within 10 days maximum. It took several calls to ensure a successful pick up but got it sorted eventually.

They sent out a hard shelled plastic box which was lined with substantial padding all over the inside to protect it in transit. The shipping label was for a repair centre in Manchester. Again no problem there.

A week goes by and I ring to check the status of the repair only to be told that it is still ongoing and to give it another week. Fair enough I thought. Same story next time I call.

Following that, I received a letter from them stating that the problem is more than likely a product failure and it must be returned for repair. Enclosed was a shipping label for a repair centre in Germany. Now this set off some alarm bells as the computer was sent to Manchester previously.

So next I call them up again, asking why this letter was sent when my computer was already in their care. They stated that the letter was sent in error and that I'd be updated on the status during that week. Still nothing.

So I call again at least 3 different times to be brushed off. So yesterday I got the details for the Manchester repair centre and called them up. They admitted having received it, but it was no longer with them. The woman on the phone stated that it was sent to another repair centre in Manchester that deals with Lenovo and she'd passed my details on them and they would call me back later that day.

I then asked her for the details of this other centre so I could contact them myself. She refused for no apparent reason. I said fine and left it there.

At this point, I felt my only option was to threaten legal action so I called up the customer support line and spoke to an agent I had been onto previously.

I stated I wanted to know the location of my computer, the status of repair and the date I will have it back. If I didn't get that info I would instigate legal proceedings on Monday in order to retrieve my computer.

Instantly, the agent was able to bring up all the details. He told me it was in the German repair centre and that they're waiting on a part. I ask him what parts is he referring to. He then states it's a screen. So I ask him why is it a screen as it's a video card problem.

He states that there was a huge crack on the screen and that they would be sending me a quote for repair. I stated that there was nothing wrong with the screen at all when sent and that it must have happened at their end or in transit and this was unacceptable. Furthermore, I questioned him on the quote as it has a 3 year warranty and he said a cracked screen is not covered under that.

The screen was in perfect condition when it was sent away and now I'm possibly going to be billed for their errors. I took his name, requested his managers name but he would not provide his managers contact details or put me through to him. I told him that I will begin legal proceedings asap and they'll be hearing from me soon.

It's an absolute joke at this stage. They've had the machine longer than I have and it's worth over 1K and they almost expected me to forget about it.

So basically I'm wondering how best to proceed with this? The support etc that I dealt with were based in the UK. They do have an Irish operation also but how would I go about bringing them to the small claims court? Would I have to do so in the UK or can I bring the Irish operation to court here? They are the same company after all.

All I really want is my computer back in perfect working order.
Advertisement
16-03-2012, 16:23   #2
Jarren

It seems to be ongoing problem with Lenovo Customer Care
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...6250434&page=2

Lenovo reps may be able to help you here http://forums.lenovo.com/

They are registered in Ireland http://www.solocheck.ie/displayBusin...?busNum=280678

So yes , you can bring them to SCC

Before you do that contact http://www.nca.ie/contact-us just in case .
(2) thanks from:
16-03-2012, 16:37   #3
Cherry_Cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarren View Post

They are registered in Ireland http://www.solocheck.ie/displayBusin...?busNum=280678

Thanks Jarren, I'll exhaust all avenues before proceeding with the SCC. I'm also going to ask the Manchester repair centre if the screen was broken when received by them. If not, then it'll prove it was during their care that it was broken.
16-03-2012, 17:07   #4
Slydice

Might be a good idea to only make correspondance in writing (email) from now on. You might need it later on. If they don't reply, call them about the emails and ask them to reply by email.
Thanks from:
16-03-2012, 17:15   #5
Cherry_Cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydice View Post
Might be a good idea to only make correspondance in writing (email) from now on. You might need it later on. If they don't reply, call them about the emails and ask them to reply by email.

Yes I'm working on that right now. I want to gather as much evidence as possible. My only concern is that I hav no way to 100% prove the screen was not cracked before being sent aside from my friends who helped me pack it.

It's an absolute nightmare scenario, never had customer service like this before.
Advertisement
16-03-2012, 17:48   #6
rebeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Cola View Post
Ok guys, this is going to be a little long but any assistance/advice would greatly be appreciated.

Basically I received a Lenovo B520 All in one computer as a gift from a family member at Christmas. All was working fine until a moth later, where the screen would display a strange mix of colours and crash and reboot.

Being comfortable with computers, I began to troubleshoot the problem and eventually narrowed it down to most likely being a video card failure. It's important to note that I didn't not remove any hardware or the casing or anything like that for the troubleshoot so there are no issues there.

I called customer support and arranged a pick up of the computer, which was to be sent for repair and returned to me within 10 days maximum. It took several calls to ensure a successful pick up but got it sorted eventually.

They sent out a hard shelled plastic box which was lined with substantial padding all over the inside to protect it in transit. The shipping label was for a repair centre in Manchester. Again no problem there.

A week goes by and I ring to check the status of the repair only to be told that it is still ongoing and to give it another week. Fair enough I thought. Same story next time I call.

Following that, I received a letter from them stating that the problem is more than likely a product failure and it must be returned for repair. Enclosed was a shipping label for a repair centre in Germany. Now this set off some alarm bells as the computer was sent to Manchester previously.

So next I call them up again, asking why this letter was sent when my computer was already in their care. They stated that the letter was sent in error and that I'd be updated on the status during that week. Still nothing.

So I call again at least 3 different times to be brushed off. So yesterday I got the details for the Manchester repair centre and called them up. They admitted having received it, but it was no longer with them. The woman on the phone stated that it was sent to another repair centre in Manchester that deals with Lenovo and she'd passed my details on them and they would call me back later that day.

I then asked her for the details of this other centre so I could contact them myself. She refused for no apparent reason. I said fine and left it there.

At this point, I felt my only option was to threaten legal action so I called up the customer support line and spoke to an agent I had been onto previously.

I stated I wanted to know the location of my computer, the status of repair and the date I will have it back. If I didn't get that info I would instigate legal proceedings on Monday in order to retrieve my computer.

Instantly, the agent was able to bring up all the details. He told me it was in the German repair centre and that they're waiting on a part. I ask him what parts is he referring to. He then states it's a screen. So I ask him why is it a screen as it's a video card problem.

He states that there was a huge crack on the screen and that they would be sending me a quote for repair. I stated that there was nothing wrong with the screen at all when sent and that it must have happened at their end or in transit and this was unacceptable. Furthermore, I questioned him on the quote as it has a 3 year warranty and he said a cracked screen is not covered under that.

The screen was in perfect condition when it was sent away and now I'm possibly going to be billed for their errors. I took his name, requested his managers name but he would not provide his managers contact details or put me through to him. I told him that I will begin legal proceedings asap and they'll be hearing from me soon.

It's an absolute joke at this stage. They've had the machine longer than I have and it's worth over 1K and they almost expected me to forget about it.

So basically I'm wondering how best to proceed with this? The support etc that I dealt with were based in the UK. They do have an Irish operation also but how would I go about bringing them to the small claims court? Would I have to do so in the UK or can I bring the Irish operation to court here? They are the same company after all.

All I really want is my computer back in perfect working order.
My story is very similar .My problem was either graphics card or motherboard
or both .I did all the usual bull with lenovo support .So they said it would have to go back .They posted a letter out to me .I then contacted courier.
It was sent to Germany .I hear nothing so I ring them get nowhere and I insist on a call back from a manager .He tells me that the casing is cracked but as a goodwill measure they will fix it .He said I would have a tracking number in a few days .I hear nothing for a week .I ring again to be told still waiting on a part ie the alledged cracked casing .These guys are unreal .
As of now they tell me they have a motherboard ,but are waiting on a new
"casing" .This has gone on now for over a month .
16-03-2012, 17:50   #7
rebeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarren View Post

I tried the lenovo reps ,no help
16-03-2012, 18:07   #8
Cherry_Cola

They're unbelievable alright. I could not believe how quickly he got the details when I mentioned taking them to court. He literally pulled every detail I wanted instantly, yet they could not do it on the previous 6-7 times I spoke to them. Ridiculous carry on.

I've posted on the boards to see if a rep will respond. Going to contact the repair centre in Manchester for info on the condition of the screen when it was received and hopefully I can get that in writing.

Will also draft up a letter to the NCA to get further advice on how to proceed.

From the forums also, it seems this model of computer is nearly impossible to come by as a new one is due soon so it may be difficult to get a replacement unit.

Will update on how things progress.
16-03-2012, 22:00   #9
wmpdd3

Where was the item bought?

You can only bring a case to the scc under the sgas act as a consumer against the retailer. the person who bought the computer may have to do this.
Do you have access to a receipt or proof of purchase?
Advertisement
16-03-2012, 22:03   #10
Srameen

Yes, I too believe the issue is with the retailer if the item was only bought 3 months ago. Have you been in contact with them at all?
16-03-2012, 23:27   #11
Cherry_Cola

Well my relative bought the item through a distributor so I'm not sure if there was a receipt but I'll be in contact with him tomorrow to find out for sure. It's looking a little tricky alright.

The claim they are making of the smashed screen though would have nothing to do with the retailer. The reason I went with the company itself is because I figured since it was bought through a distributor then they'd only direct me to do that anyway.

I've contacted the initial repair centre it was sent to asking them to confirm the condition it was received in. Surely if it was smashed on arrival then I should have been contacted right away?

They knew it was going in for a video card repair only and the package contained a letter stating that. If it arrived with a huge crack in the screen then they surely would have known something was up.

Also the agent on the initial call stated the receipt was not important as by checking the serial he could see it was under warranty until 2015.
17-03-2012, 12:58   #12
slimjimmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srameen View Post
Yes, I too believe the issue is with the retailer if the item was only bought 3 months ago. Have you been in contact with them at all?
There is no time limit, the SGSC act does not specify any time limit and but instead refers to the reasonable life of the product. Therefore the issue of the original defect lies with the retailer for an undefined period had the OP requested the retailer to resolve it.
However the OP has decided by-pass the retailer and go directly to Lenovo. The retailer has no responsibility to resolve the problems with the repair centre.
(2) thanks from:
20-03-2012, 23:40   #13
Cherry_Cola

Ok, so it looks like I'll be able to get a receipt for it so that's that sorted.

I've been in contact with a rep on the support site, and they advised me to call again and file a complaint as basically that'll kick them into gear to actually do something.

I'll also be in contact with the Manchester repair centre to try and confirm the condition the unit was received in. If the cracked screen was present there, then the responsibility falls with DPD I'd imagine.

Also, I've heard that the video card in these machines is very difficult to get at and it's very easy to crack the screen when attempting to replace/access it.
Thanks from:
21-03-2012, 10:19   #14
rebeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Cola View Post
Ok, so it looks like I'll be able to get a receipt for it so that's that sorted.

I've been in contact with a rep on the support site, and they advised me to call again and file a complaint as basically that'll kick them into gear to actually do something.

I'll also be in contact with the Manchester repair centre to try and confirm the condition the unit was received in. If the cracked screen was present there, then the responsibility falls with DPD I'd imagine.

Also, I've heard that the video card in these machines is very difficult to get at and it's very easy to crack the screen when attempting to replace/access it.
You could be on to something.They now tell me that my casing is cracked ,and they are waiting to get a new one .Also that it took 10 days to fit a new motherboard .Could ya even make this up.
Thanks from:
21-03-2012, 10:37   #15
Cherry_Cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeve View Post
You could be on to something.They now tell me that my casing is cracked ,and they are waiting to get a new one .Also that it took 10 days to fit a new motherboard .Could ya even make this up.
Sounds like a nightmare alright. Out of interest, did they provide you with the box in which to ship the computer? I was provided with a large thick plastic box which was completely padded on the inside so I really doubt it broke in transport but it's not entirely impossible.

I'll be giving the centre in Manchester a call in a minute aswell as the Lenovo support centre to file a complaint. I also have a rep from their support site looking into it for me now.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion