Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 5 euro for a pint in Ireland How do we Stop this

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,916 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Double post again. Stupid touch phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

My local has €3 Carling, Tuborg & Beamish, which I'm pretty happy with. My wife like cider though and there doesn't seem to be a cheaper alternative on tap other than Bulmers (that I've seen in my travels). Has anyone seen cheaper alternative in pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,081 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

john_cappa wrote: »
    No they cant. Publicans are not allowed legally to buy the bottles from the supermarket and then sell them in the licensed premises as different taxes apply. So they have to pay what the distributer asks.

I would like to repeat what has been said already - the above statement is wrong.

Pubs can buy their supplies from a supermarket if they like - we live in a free market economy.

(In Belgium, large off-licences supply pubs/cafes)

Now, of course, supermarkets might not be happy, and may not wish to sell, as is their right.

But the trade would not be illegal, excise duty has been paid at the production stage.

When I see Black Bush at 20 in Tesco, I suggested to a publican friend that he buy a few bottles.

81.3 cent ex-VAT per shot
    Add 2.00 gross margin = 281.3
    Add 23% VAT = 3.46.

Charge 3.50 for a lovely whiskey, everybody's a winner.

(Question to publicans: is 2.00 gross margin enough?)

omahaid wrote: »
    My local has €3 Carling, Tuborg & Beamish, which I'm pretty happy with. My wife like cider though and there doesn't seem to be a cheaper alternative on tap other than Bulmers (that I've seen in my travels). Has anyone seen cheaper alternative in pubs?

A pub near me has 3.00 Beamish and Bavaria/Tuborg, and now a 3.00 cider has appeared, I think it's called Orchards or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Probably have been mentioned here but McTurkel's and O' Reillys on Tara St both are the best places in Dublin to get a cheap pint. €3.50 in the former and €3.30 in the latter.

Rip off joints are FitzSimmons Temple Bar and the Horse Show Pub in Ballsbridge. The latter think just because they are in D4 that they can charge over a €5 for a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Ye might find this website useful. www.pintprice.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Tuborg is really catching on in my local €3 a pint, is that the usual price or just a promotion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

red bull wrote: »
    Tuborg is really catching on in my local €3 a pint, is that the usual price or just a promotion ?

Where's your local?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

red bull wrote: »

I've seen that on offer in 4 or 5 pubs now in Kildare, great value :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

macshadow wrote: »
    Ye might find this website useful. www.pintprice.com

Greenland is the most expensive place in the world to buy a pint:eek: Freezing cold up there and they can't even enjoy an affordable pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Where's your local?
    Tuam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Where's your local?

A good few places in Cork do the €3 Carling/Beamish/Tuborg. Start of a trend I wonder? Instead of the big name pints getting cheaper people just change drinks?

I presume the 3 euro "value" beers are everywhere by now?

Maybe 3.50 in some places?

It's usually Tuborg / Bavaria / Fosters.

Of course Beamish has always been cheaper, I see it at 3.00 and 3.05 in two pubs I sometimes visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Geuze wrote: »
    I presume the 3 euro "value" beers are everywhere by now?

Maybe 3.50 in some places?

None of the pubs in Kilcock sell beer for 3 euro. Haven't tried the GAA club, though GAA clubs are usually cheaper than average anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

A place I used to go to in Dublin 12 has been selling fosters for €3.25/3.35 for the last ~4years or so (it's a hole though). The nicer pub 40 yards up the road went with similar priced bavaria and labatts at the time. That's a fair bit of choice for a good while. . .yet a load of the local plebs still turn their nose at this "cheap sh!t" while they reach for their soapy heineken pi$$water - aldi/lidl syndrome i reckon

Anyway, I was back for home for the euros to discover that tuborg is now available in the nicer pub at €3.25 or even better, a slightly larger than 3 pint pitcher for €9. . .and it took very little persuasion to get people to share it with me, amazing what a few years of recession does for people's taste buds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

Leveretts in Carlow are selling Fosters for 2.50 a pint . Its very nice too . All other pints inc Guinness are 3.50. This offer has been running for weeks and is available every day including weekends. Dicey Reillys has all drinks 3.50 Sunday to Thursday. Carling 3.00 all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

madanall wrote: »
    McGoverns in Gorey....2.50 euro for a pint of Tennants....Hard to beat that !!
    That would be an awful waste of 2.50 considering Tennents is the most putrid lager known to man.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Weatherspoons is EPIC
    Yea it's a joke. We are a nation of self absorved idiots when it comes to pricing, we have a certain sence of arrogance.

There's no need to be making a mark up of 40 - 50% on everything.

We need the likes of Weatherspoons over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

.....but I can get a dozen pints (near enough) for 10.49 at LIDL.

Who needs Pubs????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Weatherspoons is EPIC

I find it crap, independent pubs borged by weatherspoons :)

Its grand the first time but a bit crap when you go to one 200km away from the first and its the exact same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Emmett1

Why don't you start brewing your own. We have set up a Brew club in our local area. Each person does a brew of their own and we come together light the barby and have a few beers. You can kit brew or all grain brew depending on your level. For 26 euro you get 21 litres of beer. Its not like years ago you have full control over what strenght you want your beer/wine at. You can bottle it or keg it. You can buy all supplies here in Ireland on line. The British charge low prices because there are hundreds of micro brewery's so more competition for the larger brewery's.

Just a thought...... works for us. It great craic and some great nights at very low costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Weatherspoons is EPIC

I don't know about Epic, but I do look forward to going to Wetherspoons for lunch etc when I'm in the north. I'm not one for going to the pub here in the south, it's too bloody expensive!

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

http://publin.ie/category/pub-crawls/craftwednesday/

good deals on €4 pints and less on craft beers in Dublin city centre.

http://publin.ie/category/pub-crawls/cheapass/

Advertisement