Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

took some photos of serious clouds in wexford earlier, ill upload when i get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭pauldry

this is my shower cloud photo today

really heavy hail in geevagh

shudda taken that was 11.1c in sligo but only 4c in geevagh during shower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

taken earlier today between gorey and oilgate in wexford. apologies for the quality. they were taken on the mobile

rsz_1049_1.jpg

rsz_051.jpg

rsz_045.jpg

rsz_037.jpg

rsz_036.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭pauldry

hope these are taken from the passenger side

RSA

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Showers to the left of me,
    hailstones to the right,
    here I am,
    stuck in the middle with DOCARCH :rolleyes:

I did manage a lame 0.4mm from a shower yesterday. :rolleyes: No cigar.

Someday.......

.......maybe today will be our day? :) I'll take down the sheild and order up some monster hail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

The video of my Lightning Capture in Tramore, County Waterford this afternoon.
    As you can tell by my reaction i was delighted to get this on video :D

WHAT ABOUT THE THUNDER?! :( ...

Good luck to all today!...looks alright again but .... im in work unfortunately from 12-8 . :(. ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The bulk of the convection bypassed Ashford yesterday, but still worth sharing this time lapse despite the dirty window :o.
    Also time is an hour out.

One brief shower with hail, no more than a "trace"

There is a bit of convection happening today. Time Lapse on again, perhaps it'll capture something good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Iancar29 wrote: »
    WHAT ABOUT THE THUNDER?! :( ...

Good luck to all today!...looks alright again but .... im in work unfortunately from 12-8 . :(. ....

Yeah it was a pity i didn't catch the Thunder too but maybe my shout of excitement drowned it out ;) There was a loud clap and lightning about 2 mins after i parked the car but when the car stops the DVR stops recording unfortunately.

The showers are starting early here today but they seem to be more normal showers. Hopefully they will beef up a bit this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

Mothman wrote: »
    The bulk of the convection bypassed Ashford yesterday, but still worth sharing this time lapse despite the dirty window :o.
    Also time is an hour out.

One brief shower with hail, no more than a "trace"

There is a bit of convection happening today. Time Lapse on again, perhaps it'll capture something good.

Great vid. Such a shame you missed any head on showers! Very good low light on that camera. I can see a star quite vividly as dusk set it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

highdef wrote: »
    Great vid. Such a shame you missed any head on showers! Very good low light on that camera. I can see a star quite vividly as dusk set it.

That would be The planet Jupiter. The planet Venus would have been much brighter but would have been out of frame at the top left.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of sferics on the Waterford coast. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

Cb passed to my south and produced a sferic over the Wicklow Mountains.

Mostly clear and sunny here but starting to see a bit of more convection to my north west - looking at radar, looks like a few showers developing in that direction.

The day is not lost! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Oh to be on the west coast of Denmark :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A couple of sferics on the Waterford coast. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

that looks around youghal direction :( damn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Another day - another miss. After a sunny day with lots of distant Cb visible, some mehish shower around 6pm and another just now have given an accumulation of 0.8mm.

Nice dampness for the slugs and snails tonight. :(

Calibos wrote: »
    That would be The planet Jupiter. The planet Venus would have been much brighter but would have been out of frame at the top left.
    It was Venus, got it again tonight. The stars in general can be seen on the higher quality version on my home pc.

Today's time lapse is uploading. Some really interesting scenes. Again scarcely got hit with one shower remnants and a side swipe. A shower train passed to SW for couple hours and through the rain curtain, the towers in Carlow could be seen. The camera was pointed in that direction but its a bit small to pick out the detail.

I'll post a link in morning, still 2 hours of upload left :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Just watched your one from this morning now, great video! Interesting around 1:45 where the shower seemed to move 90 degrees to the upper cloud direction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Harps wrote: »
    Just watched your one from this morning now, great video! Interesting around 1:45 where the shower seemed to move 90 degrees to the upper cloud direction

I noticed that too :rolleyes:

Window is clean :)
    The first 2 minutes is near enough the same, so if short on time skip this bit, and practically nothing after 4.20.
    3.30 onwards is really interesting. Can just see a bit of mammatus in this period. Unfortunately, the youtube processing had reduced the quality.
    I only got the one direct hit from a shower, but it had mostly decayed. A shower train followed to my SW and it was hail/rain curtains. At one stage a tower building near Carlow could be seen through this curtain, but it looks quite small in the video.

Have camera running again today. Have been moving it around trying to catch some lenticulars. Some cumulus is starting to build, so may get some decent convection later

• Advertisement

Convection getting going early today and radar shows showers starting to get going now country wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Convection getting going early today and radar shows showers starting to get going now country wide.

Yes i think we will see a few real crackers today.

:D

If all showers heading in the Dublin direction could kindly hold off till 2pm
    I'll be greatly appreciated . Stuck slaving away at " every little helps" till then .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

WOOHOO! Finally a flash and a rumble in Belfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Two flashes and a rumble.
    Plenty of hail. Watching it from Sandymount strand.

Today could be a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

rumbles and some rain in Dublin 9. Nothing massive but enough already to clear the air a little. Hope it goes on for another while.

See folks... im actually a storm Magnet... As i asked the clouds nicely , to wait till 2pm... i literally walked out of the shop and BAM!!... THUNDER! :D ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Thunderstorm, hail clearing south from me - now over Clara I guess, nice forked lightning right above. Didn't even get a second on the counting for the first one.

Still rumbling away south now. :D

Dublin ATC is down Today :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nothing in the west again.

Nasty looking on the radar heading from tullamore to newbridge.
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    Damn westerly!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement