Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20% OFF Manuka Honey - all sizes until March 15th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Would you please reference your 'research'. You have made an awful lot of claims but you haven't provided a single source for them.

Like Reesy, I am aware of the research relating to the treatment and healing of wounds using Manuka honey but I haven't seen any compelling evidence that simply digesting it has any medicinal effects on the body.
    Some real peer-reviewed academic evidence please. I am looking forward to seeing the elusive science behind these claims that eating Manuka honey is better for you than ordinary Irish honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Heres your research, well some of it

http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/contents.shtml

Manuka honey can ONLY come from New Zeland, the properties of the honey are different to honeys from other countries and this is due to the plants the bees are harvesting....the manuka tree which is native to NZ.

There are 2 main standards UMF and MGO and both have their own standards for measuring the effectivness but the research is in essence very similar, they are measuring the kill rates of bacteria on a petri dish with classifies the honey as a particular strenght.

Manuka as a brand is not copyrighted as far as i know and this is why you can get Irish "manuka" honey which has no antibacterial properties, likewise "active" manuka honey is usually a blend of different honeys so which may be manuka, this is an angle some producers are using to lay claim to a honey being manuka when it is watered down manuka...again fad...

There are so many companies trying to cash in on the "manuka" name and it is unfortunate as the average punter gets confused and cynical. Basically look for a UMF or MGO strenght indicator.

As well as being very effective when used topically as a cream due to its antibacterial qualities it is also extremely effective when consumed as it is very good at bolstering your immune system and fighting viral infections/viruses which can not be addressed with antibiotics.

Do your own research depending on how technical you want to get but this might bring some light to the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I've just noticed how horribly off-topic we are getting, so this will be my last post on the matter.

I've clicked on most of the papers in the link and read the abstracts, they all seem to be healing properties of Manuka on wounds or more generally about the health benefits of honey (not Manuka specifically).

I accept the healing properties of Manuka on wounds but could you link to a specific paper which esposes the health benefits of digesting Manuka orally particularly when compared with non-Manuka honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Zardoz

This really is a bit confusing :confused: and i'm sorry for going OT from the original BA.
    The manuka honey in Aldi (Kilcree Gold Active 10+ Manuka Honey) has no UMF / MGO rating or certification. It is produced by Healy's Honey in Cork, who also have their own version of Manuka Honey (which is UMF rated).

So if the Aldi honey is Manuka Honey which doesn't contain any methylglyoxal, is the "10+" on the label just there to try and fool people?
    I have a jar of Aldi Active 15+ in front of me
    It says
    What is Active 15+? Active 15+ represents the level of antibacterial activity of the Manuka honey.The higher the activity level ,the greater the antibacterial properties of the honey.
    100% New Zealand Manuka Honey and is not blended with other honeys.
    Seems good honey to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Zardoz wrote: »
    It says

Seems good honey to me.

But it doesn't state any UMF or MGO values though? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Zardoz wrote: »
    It says

Seems good honey to me.

I don't think how tasty aldi's is is in question here.

but the fact they say what they say on the jar and in theory they're not lieing as you can call anything you like manuka honey.

but if there's actually anything useful in the jar

Advertisement