Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20% OFF Manuka Honey - all sizes until March 15th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭paikea

Seems like a genuine discount based on the UMF rates. 500g of 10+ is usually a little over 20. I tried that brand of manuka before and it seemed ok. But I have to say that I find all manuka business very confusing. There are so many brands with different ratings, tastes, textures...

I did some research online to find out what brands would be 100% reliable and the only brand that came up was Comvita. I have not tried their product yet as they are more expensive than the other brands. Again I got this by googling around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Boyne Valley brand 15+ is about €9.99 in both Superquinn and Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I remember seeing a warning leaflet in a health shop about immitation Manuka honey, that was I think a little bit of Manuka honey added to other honey and sold as Manuka, I forget exactly what it was but it was regarding the types being sold in some of the bigger retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I use the aldi one it's 15+ and under 6e and tastes fantastic.

I'm not sure ever paying over 10e for a jar of honey will be considered a "bargain"

• Advertisement

Depends on the UMF content and activity in the Aldi one I guess. Have a read of this: http://www.squidoo.com/buy-active-manuka-honey and this: http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/consumer-confusion-allows-manuka-honey-rip-offs-102769

It would be akin to buying ginger nut biscuits to get the benefits of ginger :)

right i think the one in the bargain is 5+

I guess what I meant was I don't really give two hoots how good the honey is.

I'm not paying 10 bloody euro for a jar of it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

These guys make/import the Manuka Honey for Aldi

http://www.healyshoney.ie/index.html

Edit - or maybe not - ??

http://www.corkbilly.com/2010/08/pot-of-honey-or-pot-of-gold.html

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭thegift06

Regarding fake Maniuka, real active manuka honey contains an ingredient called methylglyoxal, which is exclusively responsible for the anti bacterial and anti inflaminatory properties

An example of real active Manuka honey is watson and son, which uses this methylglyoxal activity standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

thegift06 wrote: »
    Regarding fake Maniuka, real active manuka honey contains an ingredient called methylglyoxal, which is exclusively responsible for the anti bacterial and anti inflaminatory properties

An example of real active Manuka honey is watson and son, which uses this methylglyoxal activity standard

I heard the founder of Watson and Son on Newstalk the other day but I didn't catch where in Ireland you could buy their brand or the price. Any ideas?

• Advertisement

This is confusing alright, according to this: http://www.naturalmatters.net/article-view.asp?article=3544 Manuka Honey with a certified UMF rating is the only genuine way to know you're getting truly active anti bacterial honey. I'm not sure if an MGO rating is regulated but I'm pretty sure the likes of Aldi or Boyne Valley "active 15" rating etc isn't a guarantee of medicinal benefit.

It's kind of like buying non alcoholic beer to get drunk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

So can anyone provide a link to what is definitely good quality manuka honey?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Go on to newstalk website Fridays playback of George hook, broken into 3 parts. Go 30 mins into the second part and you'll here Watson and son.

Over the next few days you will most likely see there products coming into store as he appears to be over here to launch the whole brand.

One thing he did say was that Manuka honey should not be mixed with other honeys as it "kills the Manuka properties"(theese are my words). Have a jar in front if me Boyne valley Manuka plus and guess what it says "an active blend of Manuka plus other new Zealand honeys". Bottom line not Manuka honey.

In the interview Watson Said lot of imitations and he really hyped up the properties of Manuka honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Bought Watson&Sons Manuka Honey in Dunnes (250g, 300 mg/kg methylglyoxal content for €11.99)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tall chapy

As a guide anything above UMF +20 or MGO 400 has medicinal properties. Anything below is only really a food stuff.
    As other posters said blended honey is of no use.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

cais wrote: »
    Bought Watson&Sons Manuka Honey in Dunnes (250g, 300 mg/kg methylglyoxal content for €11.99)

which one was it +5, +10, +15, +20, +25

Theres a huge difference in price between the various strengths

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Watson&sons product I bought is 300+ which means 300 mg/kg Methylglyoxal.

I do not know what +5, +10, +15, +20, +25 means. When I read labelling on a number of products in different shops, I did not see name of active ingredient mentioned at all. In my opinion it is clever marketing. Hence I decided to buy a honey that clearly mentioned Methylglyoxal content on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Must say, I've been interested in Manuka honey for years (I'm a beekeeper) - its bactericidal properties in healing wounds are well documented (e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13047332) but I've never seen any scientifically proven claims of any health benefits from eating the stuff. Can anyone here provide links to some (ideally not from manuka honey marketers)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Reesy wrote: »
    Must say, I've been interested in Manuka honey for years (I'm a beekeeper) - its bactericidal properties in healing wounds are well documented (e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13047332) but I've never seen any scientifically proven claims of any health benefits from eating the stuff. Can anyone here provide links to some (ideally not from manuka honey marketers)?

The researcher mentioned in the article link you provided, Prof. Rose Cooper, has many publications in the area of wound treatment and the benefits of honey (link). They are technical articles, but the abstracts should be in someway understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rochfoca

MG, Methylglyoxal is exclusively responsible for Manuka Honey's anti bacterial and anti inflammatory and health beneficial properties. Reference prof. Tomas Henle, University of Dresden.
    Watson and Son is a Legitimate product with real activity, you can buy it in Dunnes Stores, Supervalu, and Superquinn.

MG, Methylglyoxal is exclusively responsible for Manuka Honey's anti bacterial and anti inflammatory and health beneficial properties. Reference prof. Tomas Henle, University of Dresden.
    Watson and Son is a Legitimate product with real activity, you can buy it in Dunnes Stores, Supervalu, and Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

The researcher mentioned in the article link you provided, Prof. Rose Cooper, has many publications in the area of wound treatment and the benefits of honey (link). They are technical articles, but the abstracts should be in someway understandable.
    That's just my point! The benefits I've seen that Dr. Cooper found for manuka honey come from wound treatment, not from eating the stuff. As an aside, I'm no doctor, but as I understand it, to treat wounds and ulcers you should really use sterilised manuka honey not the stuff you you buy in health food shops.

If you choose to eat it, that's entirely your business - but if anyone has scientific evidence (published in reputable journals, not on manuka honey vendors' websites, please) that eating manuka honey is better for you than is eating other honeys, I'd like to see it. Sincerely, I would.

Weird, why would Rochfoca have seemingly registered just to post that? I'd also be interested in seeing say Manuka's anti bacterial properties compared to the likes of garlic and ginger.

cormie wrote: »
    Weird, why would Rochfoca have seemingly registered just to post that? I'd also be interested in seeing say Manuka's anti bacterial properties compared to the likes of garlic and ginger.
    I have researched the health benefits of Manuka Honey Extensively. Manuka Honey is the most powerful natural anti inflammatory, even more powerful than hydro cortisone. When taken orally it can reduce inflammation all over the body, if someone suffered from swelling in any form. Empirical researches have been conducted in this field that will be published in the coming weeks, focusing mainly on the anti inflammatory benefits of this honey, which isolated the substance Methylglyoxal which is solely responsible for these
    Medicinal properties. MG which doesn't exist in any other honey on the planet because of the presence of hydrogen peroxide that is present in other honeys which nullifies any Methylglyoxal. Therefor real Manuka honey is the only honey possessing MG leading to manuka's anti inflammatory and anti bacterial properties.

I'm trying to inform people who want to buy Real active Manuka honey that has so many health benefits as there are so many fraudulent products out there in the market that have little or no activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tall chapy

WARNING: DO NOT CONFUSE ACTIVE MANUKA HONEY UMF 20+ OR MGO 400+ WITH ACTIVE MANUKA HONEY 20+. IF THE HONEY IS NOT LABELED WITH UMF OR MGO, YOU ARE BUYING TABLE HONEY.

Tests conducted proved that after adding a catalase to the samples of Manuka Honey in order to remove the hydrogen peroxide, some samples still had a significant antibacterial activity. Dr. Peter Molan named this non-peroxide element UMF®, Unique Manuka Factor.

He proved that not all Manuka Honey has UMF® and that not all levels of UMF® have antibacterial, antiviral or antiseptic the other was possibly at the university of otago

Thanks for that, so besides Watson and Son, what other brands would you recommend for being the real deal?

so does this mean the aldi one contains feck all useful?

if so what does the 10+ 15+ mean on the label?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

ntlbell wrote: »
    so does this mean the aldi one contains feck all useful?

if so what does the 10+ 15+ mean on the label?

This really is a bit confusing :confused: and i'm sorry for going OT from the original BA.
    The manuka honey in Aldi (Kilcree Gold Active 10+ Manuka Honey) has no UMF / MGO rating or certification. It is produced by Healy's Honey in Cork, who also have their own version of Manuka Honey (which is UMF rated).

So if the Aldi honey is Manuka Honey which doesn't contain any methylglyoxal, is the "10+" on the label just there to try and fool people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Rochfoca wrote: »
    I have researched the health benefits of Manuka Honey Extensively.

Would you please reference your 'research'. You have made an awful lot of claims but you haven't provided a single source for them.

Like Reesy, I am aware of the research relating to the treatment and healing of wounds using Manuka honey but I haven't seen any compelling evidence that simply digesting it has any medicinal effects on the body.

Advertisement