Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] DART's 30th anniversary and classic train runs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Niles wrote: »
    Insurance is a big factor when it comes to operating preserved rolling stock. With steam this can at least be offset to an extent by the fact that the general public will buy tickets for as many steam runs as you can supply... hence it easier (I wouldn't say 'easy'!) for the RPSI to pay for such insurance than it is for a diesel only group like the ITG. The ITG tried running A class tours back in the late 90s but apparently passenger numbers dwindled to the point it the insurance was not sustainable. Don't forget that diesels also attract chasers who don't bring any revenue (which they're entitled to do of course but it doesn't pay the bills).

To add to this the RPSI had their insurance before 1989 and the Claremorris derailment and subsequent court case that followed. Basically CIE challenged the Civil Liabilities act and lost, the insurance companies forked out millions and took fright as a result to anyone wanting a similar policy to the RPSI. At the time there was a survey done on ITG tours to see if people would pay an extra £10 per ticket for A class haulage, the answer was yes, yet patronage fell away over the 4 tours that were run that year. Your damned if you do and your damned if you dont

The jungle telegraph also periodically states that the RPSI made the offer to run A39 under their umbrella, but since it would have meant signing the loco over to RPSI ownership this did not happen. ITG's long term loss, but by then their reputation with the CIE group was in ribbons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Brilliant, but thats poor C201 after being bombed at Meigh on the Northern line.

I'm dead if I say the next line, but I just cannot resist.

Thats one annoyed Metrosexual.

Or is it a Metrovick.

"You killed Kenny loco****er"

Or is it Barry Kenny. Mind, back when B201 got bombed he was in the sperm bank while the 101 Class where in the sound bank. Now amidst the soundbites, we could do well with a new soundbank.

Don't think so. You have to know your railway history to unravel the satire here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

To give a clue on railtour costs, I believe one was staged in 2004 from Rosslare to Waterford to celebrate the end of the 121's, and the organiser, an Iarnrod Eireann employee at the time allegedly lost 4,000 Euro on the deal.

Yeah Topnotch,grand bloke,loved by loads..............:D

cbl593h wrote: »
    Yeah Topnotch,grand bloke,loved by loads..............:D

He is toast, no worries there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

He is toast, no worries there

Am I missing something - who/what is Topnotch? :confused:

• Advertisement

Am I missing something - who/what is Topnotch? :confused:

Someone who was once highly thought of and has now faded into obscurity