Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

koth wrote: »
    Charming, Ireland says GTFO to Irish same-sex couples and extended family. :rolleyes:

I can't believe you could suggest such a facile answer to social policy.

The Status Quo works for me...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Not for me though ;)

Let's vote on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,000 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Bannasidhe wrote:
    What kind of hat are liberalistas meant to wear? I would be horrified if I inadvertently wore the wrong one.

A fedora

What operating system are liberalistas supposed to use?

Fedora = Red Hat :eek:

Ubuntu = Canonical :eek: :eek:

OSX has Darwin so that should be safer

Or openSUSE, with motto 'Have a lot of fun' and posthumous patron Frank Zappa sounds pretty atheistic to me :)

Whatever you do, avoid sparking off holy wars.

EMACS is just evil though :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

Down down, deeper and down...

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Could you answer this question please?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83126723&postcount=205

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »

I've not used a religous context on this one...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

That's not an answer. Without bringing any religion into it, explain why marriage should only be between a man and a woman. Imagine this is a court, and you have to battle this out properly, so no one-liners either. A properly structured argument. Or admit that you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nomdeplume8_ie

As a 'charitable' organisation, is it allowed to make political donations? In their financial reports, it mentions that in 2011, €500 was paid in political donations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I didn't say you did. You're fully aware of this, and are just engaging in another bout of low level trollery.

I asked you to justify your opposition without using religous arguments. Would you do so please.

That's not an answer. Without bringing any religion into it, explain why marriage should only be between a man and a woman. Imagine this is a court, and you have to battle this out properly, so no one-liners either. A properly structured argument. Or admit that you're wrong.

Hilarious but on the other hand a scary glimpse into a Liberal Utopia where people who don't toe the Liberal, child killing line are subject to show trials to appease the rabbid self loathing of the Irish Times/Cafe en Seinne Brigade...:(

Marriage in Ireland and indeed the vast majority of the Western World has always between a Man and a Woman. As a traditional social Conservative I see the small but shrill Gay 'Marriage' Lobby as wishing to completely dismantle this core tradition in a fit of pique. They are from a generation of privilege and excess.

They want it all and want it now while not giving damn for the cost to society.

While the arch Atheist, Gilmore is flying their rainbow flag in Leinster House.

Yes folks, Ireland is under attack from the Liberal Stormtroopers. Are we going to lie down and just let it happen..?

Time will tell...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Hilarious but on the other hand a scary glimpse into a Liberal Utopia where people who don't toe the Liberal, child killing line are subject to show trials to appease the rabbid self loathing of the Irish Times/Cafe en Seinne Brigade...:(

Marriage in Ireland and indeed the vast majority of the Western World has always between a Man and a Woman. As a traditional social Conservative I see the small but shrill Gay 'Marriage' Lobby as wishing to completely dismantle this core tradition in a fit of pique. They are from a generation of privilege and excess.

Yes folks, Ireland is under attack from the Liberal Stormtroopers. Are we going to lie down and just let it happen..?

Time will tell...;)

Ah poor ol' Silvio, gone into persecution mode have we? For the record, allowing gay marriage here will not impact on traditional marriage whatsoever. You've made an amazing twist in logic by comparing "privilege and excess" with wanting equality. Any reason they should be denied?

As for the numerous comments on Liberal Stormtroopers and Liberista Extremists, Stephen Colbert sums it up nicely - "reality has a well known liberal bias".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Time will tell...;)
    Do liberals, atheists and gay people not deserve parliamentary representatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Marriage in Ireland and indeed the vast majority of the Western World has always between a Man and a Woman.

No it hasn't:

http://www.kavanaghfamily.com/articles/2005/20050714.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamy#Celtic_traditions

Wiki is included to make sure we have something for all levels of reading comprehension amongst the audience.

Do you have anythig else or will you be conceding the debate as good manners demands?

RedXIV, and many of the other poster here that had two Mammies or two Daddies have exceptional manners. If you show worse manners than them, you're just proving that two Daddies are better.

And for that, we thank you!

(See; more good manners!)

lazygal wrote: »
    Do liberals, atheists and gay people not deserve parliamentary representatives?

Who said otherwise..?

Popinjay wrote: »
    No it hasn't:

http://www.kavanaghfamily.com/articles/2005/20050714.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamy#Celtic_traditions

Wiki is included to make sure we have something for all levels of reading comprehension amongst the audience.

Do you have anythig else or will you be conceding the debate as good manners demands?

RedXIV, and many of the other poster here that had two Mammies or two Daddies have exceptional manners. If you show worse manners than them, you're just proving that two Daddies are better.

And for that, we thank you!

(See; more good manners!)

Western World I cited. As is since the concept of the West, on a global scale, has existed. Here to help...:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sounds like you get a memo each morning titled 'blame the liberals' and just dump it back into whatever posts you can.

Who said otherwise..?
    You said an arch atheist was flying the flag. You don't mention any other faith politicians may hold. Why does faith or no faith affect legislation?

Western World I cited. As is since the concept of the West, on a global scale, has existed. Here to help...:)

You said marriage in Ireland, and the Western World.

You were wrong. It's no big thing, just be polite and admit it.

Or concede.

That would be polite too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

To paraphrase Ben Goldacre, interestingly you're wrong. Actually it's not interesting that you're wrong, when you're wrong it's a case of dog bites man.

Anyway, one man one woman marriage is not the most common family form throughout the western world in history. In fact, only about 20% of societies have been based on monogamy. The most common family form has been polygyny as this graph demonstrates:

600px-POLYGYNY.JPG

Source data: Ethnographic Atlas Codebook

The human male tendency is towards as many mates as possible and so, heavily patriarchal societies as has been the norm for most of human history has tended to swing towards polygyny. (As far as Ireland in particular is concerned, I'm sure Bannasidhe is much better positioned to destroy this misconception).

Also, even if your point about one man one woman marriage had been valid, I'm sure at some point that someone has pointed out to you that an appeal to tradition and an appeal to common practice are both poor foundations on which to build an argument.

Now, you've already been asked to justify your position without reference to religion. Can you please do so?

What is this supposed cost to society?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    I'm sure at some point that someone has pointed out to you that an appeal to tradition and an appeal to common practice are both poor foundations on which to build an argument.

Sorry, I was too busy focusing on his appeal to outright lies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

To paraphrase Ben Goldacre, interestingly you're wrong. Actually it's not interesting that you're wrong, when you're wrong it's a case of dog bites man.

Anyway, one man one woman marriage is not the most common family form throughout the western world in history. In fact, only about 20% of societies have been based on monogamy. The most common family form has been polygyny as this graph demonstrates:

600px-POLYGYNY.JPG

The human male tendency is towards as many mates as possible and so, heavily patriarchal societies as has been the norm for most of human history has tended to swing towards polygyny. (As far as Ireland in particular is concerned, I'm sure Bannasidhe is much better positioned to destroy this misconception).

Also, even if your point about one man one woman marriage had been valid, I'm sure at some point that someone has pointed out to you that an appeal to tradition and an appeal to common practice are both poor foundations on which to build an argument.

Now, you've already been asked to justify your position without reference to religion. Can you please do so?

Indeed. Prior to the Conquest (completed in the mid 17th century) Gaelic Ireland was a highly secular society where marriage was seen as a one of several options to ensure allies. It was political.

The concept of the family was vastly different to the current nuclear model which arrived with the Normans and never really caught on until the Tudors killed anyone who tried to live by the Gaelic model.
    In fact most of the Normans adopted Gaelic concepts of the family within 2 generations of their arrival.

The family was extended not nuclear- the Clann - and sought to increase it's status/protect itself by seeking alliances with other clanns.
    Marriage was an important tactic, but not the only one.

The other two were fosterage and gossiprid.

Fosterage - where a child aged around 7 left their biological family and were raised by a family who usually had no blood connection was the norm. As part of the fosterage agreement this child always inherited a portion from their foster parents but not necessarily from their biological parents. On leaving fosterage aged approx 14 these children were considered fully fledged adults and were usually married off to political advantage.

Gossiprid - where unrelated adults made a blood bond and became 'legally' related - it was considered more heinous for the bond of gossiprid to be broken then for biologically related people to kill each other.

There was no concept of illegitimacy and female virginity was not considered particularly important (it was a sexually permissive society). As marriage was about politics not romantic love or sexual attraction it was understood that both partners were free to seek sexual satisfaction outside that marriage should they wish.

It was the norm for men to have many children with a variety of women - all of these children were equal under the law with absolutely no distinction being made between legitimate and illegitimate.

Women 'named' the father of their child - this did not have to be their husband and quite often wasn't.
    There is no extant record of any man denying fatherhood having been thus 'named' nor any record of a divorce due to a woman baring the child of a man who wasn't her husband.
    The child was considered a member named father's clann not the mother's husband's. The named father would arrange fosterage and on reaching 14 years the child would be a considered fully fledged member of their biological father's clann. (Hugh O Neill was the son of Ferdoragh who was named Con Bacach O'Neill's son at the age of 12.)

Multiple sexual partners was the norm and it was so rare for husband and wife to be 'faithful' that when it did occur it was remarked upon - I have only found two entries in the Irish Annals (which cover a 1000 year period) praising a man for being faithful to his wife- the most recent dating to the 12th century (An Uí Conchobhair king was faithful to his Ní Bhrian wife - she wasn't to him :p)

Divorce was widespread (Hugh O'Neill had 6 wives). Men did not need any grounds, the law allowed 11 legal grounds for women - these 11 grounds pretty much covered everything and were primarily concerned with ensuring that women were sexually satisfied and not abused in anyway plus whether she got to hang onto some of his property - her property always remained hers and hers alone.

Homosexuality was accepted although it was grounds for a woman to divorce her husband if it meant he couldn't sexually satisfy her.

So Silvio - if you want us to embrace genuine 'traditional' Irish values, as opposed to the ones violently imposed on us by a foreign power, I'm all for a secular society where women have a great deal of personal power, where sex is guilt free, where homosexuality is considered a fact of life and all born children up to the age of 7 are considered not only equal but in value equivalent to a cleric and abortion was available- oh, by the way tansy was the most common way of aborting fetus' but I don't know if that was what (St.) Bridget used as there were other methods available and the sources do not tell us what specific method she used - just that she aborted a pregnancy.

But then you do believe foreign powers have the right to tell us how to live so I guess you don't think much of genuinely traditional Irish values.

lazygal wrote: »
    You said an arch atheist was flying the flag. You don't mention any other faith politicians may hold. Why does faith or no faith affect legislation?

He wears his atheism as a badge of honour. I have no problem with using it in this context...

600px-POLYGYNY.JPG

All irrelevant.

Marriage in our society is between a man and a woman. Relationships outside of marriage are of course made up of many varying styles...:)

ninja900 wrote: »
    What is this supposed cost to society?

The devaluation of the special position marriage has in our society...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Marriage in our society is between a man and a woman. Relationships outside of marriage are of course made up of many varying styles...:)

Not for much longer.

Nothing to say about 'Traditional' Irish values Silvio now that it has been shown that those values were very, very liberal?

Forgot to mention - all those Gaelic laws I referred to can be read in Fergus Kelly's Guide to Early Irish Law.

What special position?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Ah Silvio - those bloody liberals ruining YOUR "traditional view" of society.

How dare they?
    How bloody dare they? :)

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

All irrelevant.

Not irrelevant at all as you you stated that marriage is an institution between a man and woman with no additional qualifiers. You've been shown to be wrong with both modern and historical evidence to the contrary.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

You'll need to explain both what you mean by a special position, and how it supposedly devalues it.

But you won't.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement