Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is diesel/petrol costing you per week?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Just pulled into a country pub for a sandwich, was on the phone in the car park. Seperately Both a MIT Pajero and a large New Holland with a hedge cutter came in , parked up and off in to have lunch leaving the engines running, obviously not starting.
    For some I think Diesel isnt too dear just yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Just saw 1.65 tonight down at the local garage, wtf????

Costing me at least 80 quid a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Cut down on fuel consumption by getting rid of the 4x4 guzzlers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

yourpics wrote: »
    and can you please tell me how am i going to get the kids to school :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

leg wax wrote: »
    car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

leg wax wrote: »
    have 3 kids , two go to school up the road and youngest goes to playschool 2 miles away, i used to drop 2 eldest to school and my husband would drop youngest to school. Now my husband drops them all.... we also do a run between my sister and i in the evening i pick her daughter up 3 days a week and she gets mine the other 2.... when i am not as busy in the mornings i will walk older 2 to school... really think their is an opening for a walking bus type of thing at alot of rural schools. I think its the football games miles away that need to be cut down also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Been on a farm much have you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

And i will carry the cows to the mart with a donkey and cart:D. You really need to get out more and actually see reality rather than chat to cyber warriors in your bedroom;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

When I lived in Dublin, you'd see these top of the range Landrovers, worth over 100K, with no tow hitch.:D
    Ah, the days of the Celtic Tiger.

PMU wrote: »
    car
    whelan1 wrote: »
    have 3 kids , two go to school up the road and youngest goes to playschool 2 miles away, i used to drop 2 eldest to school and my husband would drop youngest to school. Now my husband drops them all.... we also do a run between my sister and i in the evening i pick her daughter up 3 days a week and she gets mine the other 2.... when i am not as busy in the mornings i will walk older 2 to school... really think their is an opening for a walking bus type of thing at alot of rural schools. I think its the football games miles away that need to be cut down also
    jesus i was only jokeing:D

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »
    And i will carry the cows to the mart with a donkey and cart:D. You really need to get out more and actually see reality rather than chat to cyber warriors in your bedroom;)
    no we will all walk the cattle to the marts and hold up the traffic so they then burn extra fuel.

5live wrote: »

How do you think farmers went to the mart before the explosion in 4x4 ownership?

In the early 90's every farmer went to the mart with a tractor. People used a normal car for everyday transport. Although it costs more to go to the mart with a tractor, the savings are made on everyday commuting.

I think you should face up to the reality that the celtic tiger is over.

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Been on a farm much have you???

Yes and I don't remember many jeeps in the 60's 70's 80's or early 90's on Irish farms. How did we ever manage without them?

Yes and I don't remember many jeeps in the 60's 70's 80's or early 90's on Irish farms. How did we ever manage without them?

Yeah and they milked cows by hand in the 60's as well

I think that you are out of touch i'm afraid

Yeah and they milked cows by hand in the 60's as well

I think that you are out of touch i'm afraid

But seriously, what is wrong in using a tractor for the mart?

It is rare now to see a tractor at the mart, nearly all jeeps.
    Not so long ago since it was the other way around.

But seriously, what is wrong in using a tractor for the mart?

It is rare now to see a tractor at the mart, nearly all jeeps.
    Not so long ago since it was the other way around.

A jeep is so much more than a means to get to the mart

We would see the jeep as important as the second tractor - which is kind of the role that it is filling

A jeep is so much more than a means to get to the mart

We would see the jeep as important as the second tractor - which is kind of the role that it is filling

Fair enough. I myself use the tractor for tractor work and a 2L TDI car for lighter work. The car is the jeep around here!

Fair enough. I myself use the tractor for tractor work and a 2L TDI car for lighter work. The car is the jeep around here!

And you won't be long wrecking the car if you are throwing bags of nuts or fertiliser in it, taking it into fields for fencing, pulling trailers with it

And you won't be long wrecking the car if you are throwing bags of nuts or fertiliser in it, taking it into fields for fencing, pulling trailers with it

I am a very very careful owner, you would think to look at my car that it was used for town driving only!

I am a very very careful owner, you would think to look at my car that it was used for town driving only!

You can be as careful as you want but the suspensions and drive systems of cars are not meant to be driven in fields or have bags of nuts or fertiliser put in them - which is fair enough that is not what they are designed for - that is what jeeps are designed for which is why farmers have them

• Advertisement

You can be as careful as you want but the suspensions and drive systems of cars are not meant to be driven in fields or have bags of nuts or fertiliser put in them - which is fair enough that is not what they are designed for - that is what jeeps are designed for which is why farmers have them

Well I can't afford one and have to make do with the car for now.

Well I can't afford one and have to make do with the car for now.

Thats fair enough - but no need to be jealous of those who can afford one

Thats fair enough - but no need to be jealous of those who can afford one

No i'm not jealous, just pointing out a possible method of reducing fuel consumption

No i'm not jealous, just pointing out a possible method of reducing fuel consumption

What you might save on fuel costs you spend on repairs to cars - trust me we have been there done that and have the repair bills to prove it

The fact is that like a lot of business fuel is a major cost for farmers - a cost which is ever increasing due to government interference

What you might save on fuel costs you spend on repairs to cars - trust me we have been there done that and have the repair bills to prove it

The fact is that like a lot of business fuel is a major cost for farmers - a cost which is ever increasing due to government interference

Yes the government are taking approx 80c a litre from clear diesel. A ridiculous unsustainable situation. If they halved their take, the price would be more realistic.
    Also the fuel retailers are pushing the price up, especially in towns. Diesel is cheaper in remote areas despite the longer tranport distance for the tankers, so it is obvious the retailers are pushing the price up.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Forget the 4x4's and the cars and even the tractors, this is the dieseless future :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i just had a major meltdown at the lad that works here, had a bord bia inspection this morning and while i was in the house with the bord bia man i counted the digger going by the house 20 times:eek: now in my book 3 times would be enough for the job that was being done... as soon as the bord bia man was gone i flipped:o told the lad when he pays for the diesel round here then he can drive the digger where he wants, amazing that the days he is not here the digger is barely used to do the same jobs:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Yes the government are taking approx 80c a litre from clear diesel. A ridiculous unsustainable situation. If they halved their take, the price would be more realistic.
    Also the fuel retailers are pushing the price up, especially in towns. Diesel is cheaper in remote areas despite the longer tranport distance for the tankers, so it is obvious the retailers are pushing the price up.

A very good point, it looks to me from the poll that a rough average spend per week is 100e. That's about 5200e per year. Giving the gov roughly 2,000 euro a year in tax off rural ppl, many of whom do not have a taxable income.
    I think there is scope for increasing the vat rebate to farmers.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    A very good point, it looks to me from the poll that a rough average spend per week is 100e. That's about 5200e per year. Giving the gov roughly 2,000 euro a year in tax off rural ppl, many of whom do not have a taxable income.
    I think there is scope for increasing the vat rebate to farmers.

Apparently the hauliers are in negotiations to get a rebate, I have my doubts that they will get one, I think the government is just stringing them along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Last 2 days

we had 2 tractors on slurry long draw

had an 18 ton digger on hire and tractor with dump trailer

patrol was at ashbourne meats last night with a load of heifers and done ennis mart twice to day with bullocks for a neighbour

daughter had to be in dublin this morning @ 7.30 and took the skoda

Diesel ?? 800 to 900€ quick calculation

Advertisement