Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is diesel/petrol costing you per week?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 11:05am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As above, we seem to be spending more and more money each week on fuel for car, jeep and tractor. I reckon it's on average about a 100e per week. Where is it going to end? I'm trying to post a poll on this, so mods if it doesn't work the quetions are 0-50, 50-100, >100 euro per week.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

How much is fuel (excluding heating oil) costing you per week 48 votes

0-50euro
    0% 0 votes
    51-100euro
    41% 20 votes
    more than 100 euro
    58% 28 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

2 cars (economical diesels), a jeep and 3 tractors. 1000km each in both cars every week. 150 - 200km in the jeep per week. Depends on the time of year for extra diesel uses for the tractors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

just filled the d-max and its the first time it cost 80euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

leg wax wrote: »
    just filled the d-max and its the first time it cost 80euro.

what? thats nothing for a 4x4, pajero if rightly empty would could cost 120 to fill :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Get in with the local chipper and make your own Bio diesel for ~30c/Litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Muckit wrote: »
    Get in with the local chipper and make your own Bio diesel for ~30c/Litre.

Where do you buy the injectors :

Spending something around €750 a week on the business

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Diesel is mad expensive, BUT, you wouldn't want to skimp too much, and fill up at those particular fuel stations who always seem to be a good beit cheaper than the main brand stations:(
    Mechanic in my local Toyota, garage telling me, they are seeing new cars less than two years old, and small mileage, with blown injectors and pumps, due to bad fuel. Expensive to fix. Costing up to €2.5k depending on extent of the damage. NOT covered by warranty!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭epfff

I put abt 130 into jeep and my good wife puts another 80 into a 1.6diesal car.oh ya I nearly forgot I burn another 30 liters of green a week or 1500 per yr in tractor and I get contractor to do most of my work

Where do you buy the injectors :

Spending something around €750 a week on the business

Biodiesel eats rubber. Change any rubber hoses and seals in older machines and your laughing. I'm only learning. The bro-in-law to be makes it in his shed and is running it in his jeep, car and tractor with NO engine mods. He's actually making better quality bio diesel than the stuff you buy. You need to be a bit of a scientist though to make it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Biodiesel eats rubber. Change any rubber hoses and seals in older machines and your laughing. I'm only learning. The bro-in-law to be makes it in his shed and is running it in his jeep, car and tractor with NO engine mods. He's actually making better quality bio diesel than the stuff you buy. You need to be a bit of a scientist though to make it ;)

You see the biodiesel kits for sale on uk machinery magazines ~ €1000 for the equipment needed. You'd also want to have a good supply of chippers to keep you going in oil. Biggest problem is that it isn't great stuff for running in Common Rail engines. We used to have an old farm jeep (1995 Hilux) for the fields and used to buy cooking oil from lidl to keep it going. Lovely smell of chips from the back of her when you'd be racing around the tracks. :D

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BIOBUDDY-125L-BIODIESEL-PROCESSOR-MACHINE-KIT-/270929177847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f14a32cf7

reilig wrote: »
    You see the biodiesel kits for sale on uk machinery magazines ~ €1000 for the equipment needed. You'd also want to have a good supply of chippers to keep you going in oil. Biggest problem is that it isn't great stuff for running in Common Rail engines. We used to have an old farm jeep (1995 Hilux) for the fields and used to buy cooking oil from lidl to keep it going. Lovely smell of chips from the back of her when you'd be racing around the tracks. :D

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BIOBUDDY-125L-BIODIESEL-PROCESSOR-MACHINE-KIT-/270929177847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f14a32cf7

[/QUOTE
    ]

Those bio diesel kits don't work. He made his own 'plant'. Bio diesel isn't vegetable oil. The oil ungoes a chemical reaction when mixed with the catalyst chemicals. Bio diesel smells nothing like chipper oil and is a very clean fuel.

Glycerin is a by product from which you can make ethanol which you can use to make your next batch ;)

The lad that figures out how to turn polyethene into a usable fuel will be laughing :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

reilig wrote: »

[/QUOTE
    ]

Those bio diesel kits don't work. He made his own 'plant'. Bio diesel isn't vegetable oil. The oil ungoes a chemical reaction when mixed with the catalyst chemicals. Bio diesel smells nothing like chipper oil and is a very clean fuel.

Glycerin is a by product from which you can make ethanol which you can use to make your next batch ;)

The lad that figures out how to turn polyethene into a usable fuel will be laughing :D

Imagine bringing your new John Deere, back to the garage with a warranty issue on the engine or fuel system, and they find a couple of soggy chips, and a deep fried Mars bar stuck in the system:D
    You would only want to put the home made fuel, in the auld 35X or David Brown or something like that:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

About €77 a week into the x-trail and another €80 every 10 days into the C4 G-picasso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

what? thats nothing for a 4x4, pajero if rightly empty would could cost 120 to fill :eek:
    thats a d-max for ya,a very small tank and the fuel light was on:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

I spend about €70 a month, but if the price was more realistic I would spend far more i.e. high prices drive down sales

I think we should discuss doing something about the cost.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Choose one particular fuel retailer e.g. Topaz and boycott them. The government are more likely to listen to the captains of industry when the revenue drys up.

2. Protest at TD's private houses, make their lives miserable.

3. Encourage fuel retailers not to sell fuel to any government minister, TD, Senator, supporter etc

4. Blocade the ports and Dublin with tractors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

yourpics wrote: »
    I spend about €70 a month, but if the price was more realistic I would spend far more i.e. high prices drive down sales

I think we should discuss doing something about the cost.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Choose one particular fuel retailer e.g. Topaz and boycott them. The government are more likely to listen to the captains of industry when the revenue drys up.

2. Protest at TD's private houses, make their lives miserable.

3. Encourage fuel retailers not to sell fuel to any government minister, TD, Senator, supporter etc

4. Blocade the ports and Dublin with tractors

Brilliant, brilliant plan!

I especially, like the bit about blockading the ports. I mean, it's not as if we need to export our own agri products or anything like that.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

BeeDI wrote: »
    Brilliant, brilliant plan!

I especially, like the bit about blockading the ports. I mean, it's not as if we need to export our own agri products or anything like that.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Export agri products??

On Saturday, I drove through an area of outstanding agri land, there was fields full of round bales of straw sitting there in the same place since they were baled last August/September.
    I think it is a crying out shame. Why have these farmers left these bales there? If they don't need them, they could donate them.
    With waste like this going on and being grant aided, is it any wonder the government are taking advantage of us and ripping us off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

yourpics wrote: »
    Export agri products??

On Saturday, I drove through an area of outstanding agri land, there was fields full of round bales of straw sitting there in the same place since they were baled last August/September.
    I think it is a crying out shame. Why have these farmers left these bales there? If they don't need them, they could donate them.
    With waste like this going on and being grant aided, is it any wonder the government are taking advantage of us and ripping us off.

They are probably going to be used as fuel in a power station:D

As for a boycott, the only filling stations that should be boycotted are the ones selling the laundered stuff, that ruins injectors, pumps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I put €105 in the frontera on saturday night. a personal best :(

I dont actually know what it's costing me per week, as I dont refill it every week, and I always fill it to the brim, but I'm spending around €50-€60 per week doing small enough mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

About 130 a week in the cruiser and at least another 50 in the tractor, gives me a shiver thinking about it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

€60 a week for 300 miles in a 1.4L almera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Around €65-70 a week.

Grumbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Missus has a 50 mile round trip to work
    I have a 20 mile round trip
    + lot of weekend mileage at the minute...

About 100euro / week... :(

Thanks a bunch Blue... :(;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

leg wax wrote: »
    thats a d-max for ya,a very small tank and the fuel light was on:rolleyes:

I'll back this up. I put €90 in mine and I was getting worried about the three miles to the petrol station before filling it. I think the tank is plenty plenty big at the moment though:p.

Between the jeep and the car at the moment we would be burning about €80 per week, car is a honda accord diesel but we both work within 10 miles of home:confused:

Tractors are a different kettle of fish, I think theres a hole in all the tanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

About 100 in the patrol p/w and another 50 in the herselfs car and the tractors probably burn about 50 a week averaged out over the year .
    When you write it down you would wonder how you manage to pay it at all , not to mention running costs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

bugger me.
    just worked it out on a weekly basis
    2 jeeps, 2 cars, 3 tractors, and a quad.
    €400:(
    quad costs about same as farm jeep
    better start walking more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just wondering have people cut down the amount they are driving? i walk all the time for the cows... have an old jeep that goes on green for going round the field but tbh by the time i get it started i would be well on the way for the cows

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

dar31 wrote: »
    bugger me.
    just worked it out on a weekly basis
    2 jeeps, 2 cars, 3 tractors, and a quad.
    €400:(
    quad costs about same as farm jeep
    better start walking more

Sorry dar I should have put a few more options on the poll, thats around 20k a year. I reckon the jeep is getting to be a luxury at this stage on my place, a small van might be worth looking at:(

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

its feckin shocking i added up the fuel bill since xmas :eek::eek::eek::eek: ouch wouldnt begin to describe it....... paid 167 in dub a few weeks ago i cant see prices stopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

whelan1 wrote: »
    just wondering have people cut down the amount they are driving?

No, I was down to the bare bones of what I could get away with in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Got a very painful fill up yesterday

2 tanks of white - €3600
    1 green - €1500
    1 Kero - €1300

Previous fill was in Nov.
    Dont want to think about it anymore

Edit: Just after re-reading the first line - in another forum that could have so many other meanings:eek:

Advertisement