Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masterpiece / Masterpiece compatible Discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

Now that I have Quakewave in hand it's very hard to not call him a Masterpiece. Everything about him is quality. His plastic, his weight from his diecast, the almighty posability (squiggly red line!?), the little electric features and the classic G1 look all tick the boxes for a Masterpiece. He feels better and more solid than Soundwave and he's WAY more stable on his feet than almost all the other MP decepticons.

On another note; I better start saving
    Masterpiece Ultra Magnus with Trailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

AxlF wrote: »
    Now that I have Quakewave in hand it's very hard to not call him a Masterpiece. Everything about him is quality. His plastic, his weight from his diecast, the almighty posability (squiggly red line!?), the little electric features and the classic G1 look all tick the boxes for a Masterpiece. He feels better and more solid than Soundwave and he's WAY more stable on his feet than almost all the other MP decepticons.

Wow. Thanks for that brief review. I've been thinking of getting him.
    On another note; I better start saving
    Masterpiece Ultra Magnus with Trailer

WOW. Hopefully the figure will look great. I can't wait to see pics. So August release? So Wheel-Jack, BB and Magnus are going to be really spread out then. I wonder if Magnus will be the only "Big Guy" release for 2014. The designer can check Magnus off his priority list. I wonder how long until MP-Bruticus and other Combiners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

JohnMc1 wrote: »

WOW. Hopefully the figure will look great. I can't wait to see pics. So August release? So Wheel-Jack, BB and Magnus are going to be really spread out then. I wonder if Magnus will be the only "Big Guy" release for 2014. .

My sometimes wrong, sometimes right, source sent me a msg after Magnus was solicited, saying that if preorders for Magnus work out the way TT hope, we'll be getting purple faustbot for Xmas next year, adn that Hasbro Asia are looking at a reissue of Rodimus to go with it.

This should ALL be taken with a pinch of salt of course.

..and even if true, it still leaves a smaller Megatron not dealt with, and it's time for a new Skywarp too.

Actually, i want a cartoon accurate Thundercracker as well thanks.

wernstrom! wrote: »
    My sometimes wrong, sometimes right, source sent me a msg after Magnus was solicited, saying that if preorders for Magnus work out the way TT hope, we'll be getting purple faustbot for Xmas next year, adn that Hasbro Asia are looking at a reissue of Rodimus to go with it.

This should ALL be taken with a pinch of salt of course.

..and even if true, it still leaves a smaller Megatron not dealt with, and it's time for a new Skywarp too.

Actually, i want a cartoon accurate Thundercracker as well thanks.

Thanks Wernstrom. An MP-Galvatron is long overdue. As I said previously I've been expecting since Rodimus came out. I don't think we'll ever get a new MP-Megatron. Atleast not a G-1 Walter P-38 alt mode.

A more toon accurate Seekers mold would be nice, but I'm not sure people will want to buy them all over again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Dublin City Comics have MP Prowl for 85 euro if anyone is interested.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Dublin City Comics have MP Prowl for 85 euro if anyone is interested.

Or if you have a bit if patience, you can get it for about 50 like i did.

Or if you have a bit if patience, you can get it for about 50 like i did.

How?

How?

HLJ

Also i accidentally hit the edit button instead of the quote button.

(dur!)

HLJ

Also i accidentally hit the edit button instead of the quote button.

(dur!)

How can they sell them so cheap. I presume you wait to get a few together to save shipping but you are surely hit by customs?

How can they sell them so cheap. I presume you wait to get a few together to save shipping but you are surely hit by customs?

Because the SRP for a Masterpiece car in Japan is about 40 euro, plus plenty of Japanese stores/sites take another 20% off.

Shipping from Japan is often cheaper than the same shipping service from the US.

No combined shipping on my part, no customs form fiddling, and i've never been charged on a box from HLJ yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Just checked my cc and I paid 65euro from Robotkingdom delivered. Prowl on his own, nothing else. No customs on plastic toys under 150euro I think as long as it's marked as plastic toys.

Because the SRP for a Masterpiece car in Japan is about 40 euro, plus plenty of Japanese stores/sites take another 20% off.

Shipping from Japan is often cheaper than the same shipping service from the US.

No combined shipping on my part, no customs form fiddling, and i've never been charged on a box from HLJ yet.
    DBK wrote: »
    Just checked my cc and I paid 65euro from Robotkingdom delivered. Prowl on his own, nothing else. No customs on plastic toys under 150euro I think as long as it's marked as plastic toys.

Thanks lads, good to know in future. Wheeljack, Bumblebee and Ultra Magnus are all buys for me.

Hrrrrm I know a few people who've been stung on items clearly marked as toys in the last few months, and in each case the declared (and actual) value of the goods was 60 euro or less.

It's a grey area as things marked as Toys can be hit with customs over 50 quid, but if marked as plastic toys, it goes up to 150 or something. And robot toys are charged different than other type of toys. I think sometimes you are lucky or not with the customs.

My MP-Prowl was shipped out today. Can't wait to get him.

If you missed out on Megs the first time its being re-issued.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11213&mode=retail

Masterpiece Megatron wasn't getting anything like that on the secondary market last i looked.

Prowl arrived this morning. Looks great. Here are some of my pics.

564076_10151753236947684_568460721_n.jpg

1383398_10151753237297684_1302082707_n.jpg

1380621_10151753237532684_1834537030_n.jpg

I've been meaning to do some size comparison pics. So I figured i would do them today.

Some retailers already have Bluestreak and are now shipping them. So if you pre-ordered yours might be on its way.

• Advertisement

Picked up my prowl yesterday. Need more shelf space!

1DAF44D1-2B9D-436D-935B-BE7982A670B5-287-0000002651D69B07_zps54b2f8ac.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

This new wave of MP just make me long for the Binaltech line again.
    I can see Bumblebee there and prowl don't look that big by comparison.

MarkHall wrote: »
    This new wave of MP just make me long for the Binaltech line again.
    I can see Bumblebee there and prowl don't look that big by comparison.

Newer Masterpieces remind me that Binaltech toys were a little clunky, kibbly, often bore only moderate likeness to the characters they were referencing, and sometimes involved very poor repaint/retool choices for the sake of getting extra revenue out of a mold.

Someone defend the Ram mold. Please. Maybe there's something to it that I missed, that saves it from being almost completely devoid of merit.

Whats the Ram Mould?

Whats the Ram Mould?

Optimus.

Your question makes me wonder how qualified you are to suggest the Binaltech line is superior to more recent Masterpiece offerings.

Whats the Ram Mould?

The Dodge Ram pickup truck was Optimus Prime and Nemesis Prime repaint.

With Takara getting licenses again I wish they would bring it back. I would love to see Sideswipe as a present day Lamborghini next to my MP Sideswipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Someone defend the Ram mold. Please. Maybe there's something to it that I missed, that saves it from being almost completely devoid of merit.

Well once you changed it into robot mode it wouldn't change back into a truck for love nor money... Oh wait, that's not a good thing.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well once you changed it into robot mode it wouldn't change back into a truck for love nor money... Oh wait, that's not a good thing.

It could..... it's just I'm not sure I could be bothered.

On the other hand, the BT version has so much diecast, it may have other uses.

It could..... it's just I'm not sure I could be bothered.

On the other hand, the BT version has so much diecast, it may have other uses.

People bought the BT version? I figured they would have bought the Kiss player version.

People bought the BT version? I figured they would have bought the Kiss player version.

Kiss Play: Better paint/deco than the Alternators version, but still in plastic, questionable accessories, packaging, and still at Binaltech prices,.

Binaltech: Diecast. Lots of it. The Ram mold in diecast is heavy.

I've slated the mold, and I've not changed my mind since.....but between the two iterations, I know which I prefer.

Thing is, TT kind of took the choice away from people. Binaltech Convoy and Binaltech Asterisk Black Convoy were solicited by some Asian retailers, then 'cancelled' at which point Kiss Players was revealed.

This was, IIRC, around the time Tomy took a controlling interest in Takara, and a point at which SRPs on Japanese TFs rose sharply.. Smacked heavily of taking the money and doing a runner.

Of course, later on they released a Binaltech Black Convoy as a convention exclusive (no, not SDCC Nemesis Prime) and the afore mentioned Binaltech Convoy anyway.

Kiss Play: Better paint/deco than the Alternators version, but still in plastic, questionable accessories, packaging, and still at Binaltech prices,.

Binaltech: Diecast. Lots of it. The Ram mold in diecast is heavy.

I've slated the mold, and I've not changed my mind since.....but between the two iterations, I know which I prefer.

Thing is, TT kind of took the choice away from people. Binaltech Convoy and Binaltech Asterisk Black Convoy were solicited by some Asian retailers, then 'cancelled' at which point Kiss Players was revealed.

This was, IIRC, around the time Tomy took a controlling interest in Takara, and a point at which SRPs on Japanese TFs rose sharply.. Smacked heavily of taking the money and doing a runner.

Of course, later on they released a Binaltech Black Convoy as a convention exclusive (no, not SDCC Nemesis Prime) and the afore mentioned Binaltech Convoy anyway.

Ahh Kiss players. Nothing says Mature Collector like having a Transformer with a jailbait figurine. Then ofcourse there was tentacle rape Megatron :mad:

• Advertisement

At least that never got an action figure... right?!?!? :eek:

Galvasean wrote: »
    At least that never got an action figure... right?!?!? :eek:

Thank God for small miracles. Can you imagine a Megatron with phallic like ton complete with jailbait Arkeville posed suggestively for the box art? Where's the puke smiley?

Star Saber won the Takara fan choice poll.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/star-saber-wins-the-takara-tomy-masterpiece-fans-choice-poll-178798/

I'm glad Star Saber won. The MP line has enough Prime's already.

Star Saber won the Takara fan choice poll.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/star-saber-wins-the-takara-tomy-masterpiece-fans-choice-poll-178798/

I'm glad Star Saber won. The MP line has enough Prime's already.

The winner was still (another) G1 Autobot leader.

Not esp convinced about how real this poll actually was.

The winner was still (another) G1 Autobot leader.

Not esp convinced about how real this poll actually was.

G-1 is the most iconic version so I'm not surprised that Takara are focusing on it for the MP line. I agree with one of the posters on that TFW page that the molds for all the characters are more than likely already made and we will get them at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

In fairness, Star Saber looks awesome and is pretty much a triple changer too, so I'm hyped to see what we get from a MP mold of SS.

. I agree with one of the posters on that TFW page that the molds for all the characters are more than likely already made and we will get them at some stage.

Molds are expensive to make... that said there's reportedly a lot of concept art for the Masterpiece line stored in Takara's offices.

I'm not necessarily *against* a Masterpiece Star Saber, but some of TT collector focused efforts have smacked of cynicism so i'm sceptical.

Got Bluestreak today. Anybody else having problems with the wing mirror panel? Mine doesn't want to fold all the way so I can bring up the shoulder. Its like it got glued in or something.

Molds are expensive to make... that said there's reportedly a lot of concept art for the Masterpiece line stored in Takara's offices.

True. Even if the didn't get to the molding stage they probably did make up the plans for them. I still have a feeling we'll see the rest at some stage.

I'm not necessarily *against* a Masterpiece Star Saber, but some of TT collector focused efforts have smacked of cynicism so i'm sceptical.

I know how you feel about it. Victory was my least favorite of the Japanese exclusive G-1 extension series. It was just gimmick overload. Star Saber himself had a couple of gimmicks on his own. He was a Brainmaster and combined with his "trailer" to form a Super Mode. Then later on he combined with Victory Leo [a reformatted Ginrai] as well.

Got Bluestreak today. Anybody else having problems with the wing mirror panel? Mine doesn't want to fold all the way so I can bring up the shoulder. Its like it got glued in or something.

Try some Molybdenum grease? It's used on RC car gears, and shouldn't cause any actual damage. Maybe there's just debris lodged in there?

As for Star/Victory Saber... I'm not annoyed at the prospect of a Masterpiece version.. I kinda just don't care very much.

• Advertisement

Try some Molybdenum grease? It's used on RC car gears, and shouldn't cause any actual damage. Maybe there's just debris lodged in there?

Thanks. I'll pick some up and see if that does the trick. It feels its superglued into place.
    As for Star/Victory Saber... I'm not annoyed at the prospect of a Masterpiece version.. I kinda just don't care very much.

I know what you mean. He wasn't my #1 choice. Armada/Energon/Cyberton are IMHO still too new to get the Masterpiece treatment [plus to me Energon Optimus is terrible. He looks more like a Power Rangers Megazord cast-off] So the only other options would be the remaining G-1 characters or Beast wars [I would like it if they added fur for the Gorilla mode and the inevitable Maximals] Plus with Big Convoy we'll get the inevitable Ultra Mammoth repaint [along with the apparently mandatory "Evil" Version. God i wish they do the reverse. I want a Shattered Glass Heroic Soundwave version. Complete with Headband]

I've always liked Starsaber in terms of design/toy, just never really thought much of the character.

Only starsaber I have is from the Robot masters line. And it seems a very basic transformation and figure

Only starsaber I have is from the Robot masters line. And it seems a very basic transformation and figure

Even the original, combined with Victory Leo, (imo) has little going for it other than size.

But there's line art, which may be of a Masterpiece, doing the rounds.. it's got my attention just a little.

But the thing was the poll was aimed mainly at the Japanese audience and they love Star Saber. It was a given he was going to win the poll by a long shot

But the thing was the poll was aimed mainly at the Japanese audience and they love Star Saber. It was a given he was going to win the poll by a long shot

Most likely they had plans to make Star Saber so organised a poll they knew he'd win so they could say they had let the fans decide.

I never really got Victory Saber actually. He essentially just used Victory Leo as a pair of shoes...

Anybody get their MP-Smokescreen yet? Mine should be shipping from TFSource Today or Tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Anybody get their MP-Smokescreen yet?

Yup.

Seriously floppy left arm for some reason.

Advertisement