Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim Workshop

Options
  • 11-03-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone interested, its for all types of swimmers, from beginners to advanced level. Also could help out those doing triatalons.

I recently went to a swim workshop down in Athlone, got wind of it from a fellow swimmer. Basically its a full day down there. First couple of hours is video technique, then followed by a 200 meter swim, which is captured on video, under water and top level as well.

You get tea,scones, mid morning, then sandwiches and soup for lunch. Then after lunch you briefly view your video, talk about it, then another pool session (just over an hour) to work on drills. Then after a week or so, the guys go over their findings and explain where you are going wrong with your overall stroke (this work shop only covers F/C front crawl).

You need a thumb drive so they can transfer over your videos plus drills sessions they advise you on....

I found it very good, especially where I could see where I was not rotating enough in the water and where my entry was wrong in water....

So if anyone is interested drop me a pm and ill pass on the details to you...

The days workshop worked out at €95 for the day, which I thought was great value especially since you got fed also and the video analysis,there is a limit to class size to 10 people

....I'm not affiliated with anyone doing this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Granty71

Just what I have been looking for!

I saw the Total Immersion Workshop going for around £350!

New to this, how do I PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

When you're logged in, there is an icon with a quill ( third one to the left, at the bottom of the text box ).

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

Just in defense of TI workshop prices:
    a) 350 is a price for 2 days workshop
    b) ratio of teachers to students can't go above 1:6
    c) TI coaches are usually top quality ;) and rare I believe there is only 3 of us in Ireland
    d) 95e/day is an excellent price and if mad m was happy with its quality as well, it must be a great value standing behind that price.
    So as much as I hate to say this about the competition, I believe you won't find a better value for that price

*I am not affiliated with anyone who organize these workshops

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Just thought I'd give this a bump in case anyone was interested....actually I must find out if it still going on.

Also anyone who got the info from me, did you actually go? How did you find it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

I didn't go :o but planning on going perhaps in march. I definitely need to go to someone but just haven't a day to spare at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Any plans to have a workshop in Corkcity?

Sergio wrote: »
    Any plans to have a workshop in Corkcity?

Doubt it, the workshop is normally down in Athlone. But I have read that a swim coach from Kilkenny will setup a work shop in your area if there are enough swimmers on the day.

Checkout www.swimcoach.ie

Just in case anyone else is interested. I was talking to fella who runs it and he said one place left for March but places available April if anyone is interested....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

mad m wrote: »
    Just in case anyone else is interested. I was talking to fella who runs it and he said one place left for March but places available April if anyone is interested....
    What dates?

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    What dates?

Actually Im not sure....Can pass on his contact details to you Oryx, if you want to ring/text him?

That would be great. Thanks

Anyone take this up? What did you think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

just signed up for the may class today, sounds like exactly what i was looking for, well able to swim, but not sure i do it as well as i could. will report back after i do the day

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭YouWantWhat

I did the March workshop. Really great day and well worth the money. 2 experienced coaches who work very well together and seem determined to achieve the best technique. Theory first, then a pool session, where you are videoed from several different angles, both over and under the water. Then lunch (included in the price). Afternoon - another pool session where they demonstrate the various drills. Then back to the classrooms where you have a quick look over the videos and comments on each. Then a general discussion/Q&A session. Two coaches to 10 swimmers. A couple of days later they email you the swim videos, plus an analysis of your swim stroke and a set of drills to do, specific to improving your stroke.

Within a couple of weeks I had improved my time per 100 by between 5 and 10 seconds. (Unfortunately it's dropped again now and I can't figure out why!!!!).

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who's looking to improve.

he actually emailed me saying there is a May course coming up, ill post up the attachement later for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

I would like to hear the details on the May course............thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

runwithme wrote: »
    I would like to hear the details on the May course............thanks

if you pm me an email address i'll send them on to you

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

mossym wrote: »
    if you pm me an email address i'll send them on to you

Sent thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭captainkeg

Hi, Id like details of May course too. PMing Email address now. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭aidanor

I would be interested in the may class too, when in may is it?

aidanor wrote: »
    I would be interested in the may class too, when in may is it?

It's next Saturday the 11th, ill pm you details...

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭aidanor

It's next Saturday the 11th, ill pm you details...

Thanks Keith.

Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Carmelkayak

Hi there
    I was hoping to do one of these workshops earlier in the summer but didn't make it. Are there any taking place on August or September?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭YouWantWhat

Hi there
    I was hoping to do one of these workshops earlier in the summer but didn't make it. Are there any taking place on August or September?

As far as I know, they do a workshop every month. Contact the Athlone sports centre and they'll give you the details/contact numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

is there a name for these workshops? I would be interested in doing this

For anyone interested there is a new swim workshop starting up on Sunday 20th October from 11:45am to 7:15pm....I'll upload details later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Carmelkayak

For anyone interested there is a new swim workshop starting up on Sunday 20th October from 11:45am to 7:15pm....I'll upload details later on.

Hi Mad M, I'm hoping to make the October workshop so it would be great to get the details, tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Rang that mobile number and no answer. If you could post up details and another contact number maybe. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Interested in this too, I await the details!

Advertisement