Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue US soldier went on rampage in Afghanistan, 10 civilians dead, five wounded!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

maybe he was sleep walking and thought he was playing battlefield 3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Kolido wrote: »
    ...and before anyone says that they just want to help people, there are many charities that help people who really want help.

Who do you think protect charities from militias?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Seachmall wrote: »
    Who do you think protect charities from militias?

Are there militia targeting local charities?

If yes I stand corrected.

Yes.

Also, do you believe local charities are the only ones worth supporting?

Yes.

Also, do you believe local charities are the only ones worth supporting?

There are many worthwhile charities, of course not just local. When I say local charities, I mean those in their home town or city in America.

The point I was trying to make in my first post is that if these guys want to become soldiers, they should realise it won't be all pretty and some of the horrors they do witness can be attributed to themselves.

• Advertisement

The point I was trying to make in my first post is that if these guys want to become soldiers, they should realise it won't be all pretty

The same could be said for firefighters, doctors, police officers and charity workers.
    and some of the horrors they do witness can be attributed to themselves.
    "Themselves" personally?

The same could be said for firefighters, doctors, police officers and charity workers.

I agree absolutely, but firefighters, doctors and charity workers are not trained with firearms to kill people, even if they are the enemy.
    "Themselves" personally?

See topic of this tread.

feckin hell the Taliban behead teachers & murder girls who go to school nevermind westerners working for charities so yes the western military forces are an important part of security for both education and charities in Afghanistan. They just need the ANA and ANP to hurry up and stand on their own two feet

http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/docid/4b7aa9e6c.html
    Between January 2006 and December 2008, 1,153 attacks on education targets were reported, including the damaging or destruction of schools by arson, grenades, mines and rockets; threats to teachers and officials delivered by "night letters" or verbally; the killing of students, teachers and other education staff; and looting. The number of incidents stayed stable at 241 and 242 respectively in 2006 and 2007, but then almost tripled to 670 in 2008.

In 2006 and 2007, 230 people died from attacks on schools, students and education personnel, according to Ministry of Education (MoE) figures. In one incident, dozens of schoolchildren and five teachers were killed when they lined up to meet an MP in Baghlan Province in November 2007
    http://tribune.com.pk/story/251406/school-bus-attack-in-peshawar-kills-four-children-police/
    Taliban insurgents ambushed a school bus on Tuesday, killing four pupils and the driver in a hail of bullets and rocket fire in Peshawar’s suburban Mattani area. Another 18 people, including four children, two of them seven-year-old girls, were also wounded in the attack.

feckin hell the Taliban behead teachers nevermind westerners working for charities so yes the western military forces are an important part of security for both education and charities in Afghanistan. They just need the ANA and ANP to hurry up and stand on their own two feet

Just to clear this up, when I mentioned charities in my first post, I meant charities in America not afghanistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

feckin hell the Taliban behead teachers & murder girls who go to school nevermind westerners working for charities

And American forces drop bombs on kids.

Look at what they've done to Iraq and Vietnam.

Huge numbers of kids born with defects (missing eyes, ears, etc.) from all the depleted uranium the Americans dropped on Iraq.

Agent Orange (a chemical weapon basically) sprayed over civilian areas in Vietnam.

There is no moral difference between the Taliban and American forces.

They are both pure evil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm going home to watch full metal jacket!

I agree absolutely, but firefighters, doctors and charity workers are not trained with firearms to kill people, even if they are the enemy.

See topic of this tread.

So, people who engage in horrendous acts are responsible for viewing horrendous acts?

I'm not really sure if that's your point, but that's all I could extract from this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Seeing Obama apologising in the back of his transport vehicle. I think the Yankee Army need to get the picture and know they aren't wanted. Leave Afghanistan and the middle east.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

So, people who engage in horrendous acts are responsible for viewing horrendous acts?

Are they not?

If I decide to join the army I know that I may be asked to fight, to kill, to wound, to commit acts that I would never as a civilian commit, and also would be subject to viewing the most awful things. I also know I run a huge risk of being killed, mutilated, disfigured and tortured if captured. I've watched war movies. I know what's involved. Therefore when I sign on the dotted l know intellectually what I am letting myself in for. It might come as a shock when I actually have to see and do these horrors but I signed up for it.

Same with anybody who has to deal with gory **** and danger in their jobs. I don't become a nurse thinking I am never going to see blood, become a doctor without knowing that I may have to make life or death decisions, become a police officer without knowing that I may be killed in the line of duty or a fireman without knowing that I could end up burned to a crisp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Why can't the US army chain this rogue gun happy nutter to a post in Kabul town center and let the locals deal with him. This would also help save a few lives on revenge killings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The Taliban as we are all aware of, are always planning to kill British and American soldiers but this will only raise the anti for them to prove a point to the world again ( even if they themselfs are guilty of terrible atrocities )and their revenge might not just be the deaths of more soldiers in Afghanistan ( which will be buisness as usual anyway ) but may show up in the deaths of soldiers /civillians elsewhere .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Why can't the US army chain this rogue gun happy nutter to a post in Kabul town center and let the locals deal with him.

Because that would be barbaric?

Why do people always call for more barbarism and depravity with these types of situations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

It would remind you of Bloody Sunday, these events only serve to fuel extremism. I can't see the US ever handing him over to the local justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Why can't the US army chain this rogue gun happy nutter to a post in Kabul town center and let the locals deal with him.

Why do people always call for more barbarism and depravity with these types of situations?

As horrific as it sounds, I can see the value in this. I'm sick of individuals - soldiers, politicians, bankers - acting ultra vires and then hiding behind someone else. Why is no one accountable for their actions?

Aside from the tragedy of 16 deaths, the soldier's killing spree could have a devastating affect on the conflict, leading to countless retaliatory and counter-retaliatory deaths. For some insane reason, there seem to be some people who can do whatever they want with impunity. It's madness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The alleged gunman, who apparently returned to the base and turned himself in, is a 38-year-old staff sergeant who is married with two children, a US official told ABC News.

He is believed to have deployed to Afghanistan for what was his first tour in the country from the US army and air force's Joint Base Lewis-McChord near Tacoma in Washington state and had previously served on three tours of Iraq.
    He wasn't some green horn ,off the wall rookie either and be interesting to see what part ( if any ) alcohol or drugs had in him totally loosing the plot and his mindset to make him to carry out and commit such an terrible act .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Of course, it had to be Ft. Lewis.

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/rogue-us-solider-suffered-traumatic-brain-injury-in-iraq-4773049
    a US official said the accused staff sergeant previously had suffered traumatic brain injury.

So he was previously blown up and got a brain injury.
    I think if he has a brain injury that has affected his mental health then it changes things and has implications

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/rogue-us-solider-suffered-traumatic-brain-injury-in-iraq-4773049

So he was previously blown up and got a brain injury.
    I think if he has a brain injury that has affected his mental health then it changes things and has implications

What implications?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Once again, this was not a lone gunman with " a brain injury". It was a group of drunken soldiers going on a rampage.

"Witnesses told Reuters they saw a group of U.S. soldiers arrive at their village in Kandahar's Panjwayi district at around 2 am, enter homes and open fire.
    Haji Samad said 11 of his relatives were killed in one house, including his children. Pictures showed blood-splattered walls where the children were killed.

"They (Americans) poured chemicals over their dead bodies and burned them," a weeping Samad told Reuters at the scene.

"I saw that all 11 of my relatives were killed, including my children and grandchildren," said Samad, who had left the home a day earlier.

Neighbours said they awoke to crackling gunfire from American soldiers, whom they described as laughing and drunk.

"They were all drunk and shooting all over the place," said neighbour Agha Lala, who visited one of the homes where the incident took place. "Their bodies were riddled with bullets."

He wasn't acting under orders, he didn't have permission to leave the base. As soon as he did leave the base he became a tourist.

If I went to America and went on a shooting spree I'd be trialed under US law. He killed their people in their country, he should be punished by their justice system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Once again, this was not a lone gunman with " a brain injury". It was a group of drunken soldiers going on a rampage.

"Witnesses told Reuters they saw a group of U.S. soldiers arrive at their village in Kandahar's Panjwayi district at around 2 am, enter homes and open fire.
    Haji Samad said 11 of his relatives were killed in one house, including his children. Pictures showed blood-splattered walls where the children were killed.

"They (Americans) poured chemicals over their dead bodies and burned them," a weeping Samad told Reuters at the scene.

"I saw that all 11 of my relatives were killed, including my children and grandchildren," said Samad, who had left the home a day earlier.

Neighbours said they awoke to crackling gunfire from American soldiers, whom they described as laughing and drunk.

"They were all drunk and shooting all over the place," said neighbour Agha Lala, who visited one of the homes where the incident took place. "Their bodies were riddled with bullets."

Every report I've seen points to one man carrying out this act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

If it was a group of soldiers involved rather than one individual who snapped that arguably makes it look even worse for the US military.

gatecrash wrote: »
    Every report I've seen points to one man carrying out this act.

I guess someone in the US military forgot to give Reuters their press kit.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/11/us-afghanistan-civilians-idUSBRE82A02V20120311

"Neighbors said they had awoken to crackling gunfire from American soldiers, who they described as laughing and drunk.

"They were all drunk and shooting all over the place," said neighbor Agha Lala, who visited one of the homes where killings took place."

"Afghan officials also gave varying accounts of the number of shooters involved. Karzai's office released a statement quoting a villager as saying "American soldiers woke my family up and shot them in the face."

Wattle wrote: »
    If it was a group of soldiers involved rather than one individual who snapped that arguably makes it look even worse for the US military.

That's why US military and Washington are pushing the lone gun man theory. They 're trying to cover this up just like they did at My Lai http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

• Advertisement

I'm sceptical as to how many there were.

Where's Bradley Manning when you need him?

Advertisement