Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

have you looked at their website? and i don't think any of the camcorders they have allow you to change the aperture or any of the features you'd want, why not buy a slr like the 1100d? only around €450. it has fairly decent video and would allow you to change the aperture, plus shutter speed. its 720p recording

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Any recommendations on a DSLR? I have a budget of €500-€600, really interested in macro and food photography. Any help would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a DSLR? I have a budget of €500-€600, really interested in macro and food photography. Any help would be appreciated!

Imho Tamron 90mm macro + any crop body will do.
    Also consider some strobes if you're looking for good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Any recommendations on brands / models? Nikon , Canon? Thank you for your reply also!

cocococo wrote: »
    Ok im a complete amateur but have a keen interest in learning about Photography. Touched briefly on it in college but that is about 20 years ago. I want digital thinking along the lines of Canon EOS 550D . Can you experts help me. I don't want anything too technical but want a challenge and something i can build up on as i get better without having to get a new one. Thank you in advance.

550d is a brilliant camera i have the 600d and theyre pretty much identical, besides the swivel screen,
    which i use for movies or getting photos in ackward angles. its very easy to use with the auto features which
    i used at the very start for seeing what settings the camera used and eventually ive moved on to full manual.
    only going back to auto when i'm in a hurry to get a picture or taking lots in quick succession. there is the
    nikon alternative of the d5100, my friend has one and its good as well. but me being a canon fanboy
    i would personally recommend the 550d

hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Any recommendations on brands / models? Nikon , Canon? Thank you for your reply also!

You want to go cheap or semi-pro?
    I'd say go for Canon xxD models instead of xxxD. For example i'm sure you can get 30d in good shape or even 40d. Most important factor is photographer and good solution for light. Especially for macro and food shots.
    Imho spend more for better lens rather than 'better' body.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bavib

Hi there,

I am looking to buy a bridge camera a present for herself, shes into the photography scene. I personally take the worst photographs in the world, no matter what I try, and have no clue whatsoever about photography or cameras.

I was looking around some photo blogs and camera review sites last night and the Sony DSC-HX100 seems like it has great bang for it's buck.:confused: I was just wondering if any boardsies have this one, and if so what do you think of it? Also is it worth waiting until I go to Spain in July to pick one up, price wise, or will it be six of one and a half dozen of the other? The camera in question is here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00506E398/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE I know she'll use it primarily for long distance shots, with a lot of indoor shooting as well, thats why I focused in on this one. There are so many cameras. I'd love a dslr myself for the sake of changing the lenses, but as I said I'm an awful photographer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Looking for some suggestions with regards the purchase of a digital SLR.

I've a sony NEX 5 at the moment and it's a great little camera, we've a baby on the way and I'm thinking about upgrading to a SLR (any excuse!). Now the thing is I rarely use manual settings on the camera, it stays in auto near enough all of the time. I do use some of the presets on the camera, ie. panorama, sunset, sport etc. but other than that I generally let the camera do all the thinking. What I'm looking for is a decent SLR that I can leave in auto for the bulk of the time, that has quick autofocus and takes cracking shots...

Anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

unklerosco wrote: »

I've a sony NEX 5 at the moment and it's a great little camera, we've a baby on the way and I'm thinking about upgrading to a SLR (any excuse!). Now the thing is I rarely use manual settings on the camera, it stays in auto near enough all of the time. I do use some of the presets on the camera, ie. panorama, sunset, sport etc. but other than that I generally let the camera do all the thinking. What I'm looking for is a decent SLR that I can leave in auto for the bulk of the time, that has quick autofocus and takes cracking shots...

Anyone any suggestions?

Doesn't sound like you need/want a DSLR. What's wrong with the Nex 5? Where is it lacking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

LWhat I'm looking for is a decent SLR that I can leave in auto for the bulk of the time, that has quick autofocus and takes cracking shots...

Cameras don't take cracking shots, people do

all dslr cameras have fast autofocus and great auto modes.

why do you want to upgrade, just for faster autofocus or do you have other things you want to use the camera for.

canon 600D would be the best basic camera body and then just decide if you want to spend more money on a better lens than the standard kit lens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I find the autofocus on it at times can be a bit slow (no where near as slow as a point and shoot but I've had an slr before and can see the difference) and adding extra lenses is a pricey practice.. around €400 for a 55-200 lens which is something I've wanted for a while...

I'm not madly pushed to change cameras, if I could get a decent SLR at a good price I'd go for it but I don't intend on spending big $$$$ for a small upgrade in pic quality..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

if I could get a decent SLR at a good price I'd go for it but I don't intend on spending big $$$$ for a small upgrade in pic quality..

buy second hand then, something like: http://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/canon-xsi-450-d-great-condition/1405500

would be really fast, and not too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Bavib wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am looking to buy a bridge camera a present for herself, shes into the photography scene. I personally take the worst photographs in the world, no matter what I try, and have no clue whatsoever about photography or cameras.

I was looking around some photo blogs and camera review sites last night and the Sony DSC-HX100 seems like it has great bang for it's buck.:confused: I was just wondering if any boardsies have this one, and if so what do you think of it? Also is it worth waiting until I go to Spain in July to pick one up, price wise, or will it be six of one and a half dozen of the other? The camera in question is here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00506E398/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE I know she'll use it primarily for long distance shots, with a lot of indoor shooting as well, thats why I focused in on this one. There are so many cameras. I'd love a dslr myself for the sake of changing the lenses, but as I said I'm an awful photographer!

Bridge cameras tend not to have very good sensors in them. They also have zooms that are overly ambitious which results in compromised image quality.

Much better to get her an advanced compact like a Canon S95, Panasonic LX-5 or Olympus XZ-1. If she is going to do much low light indoor shooting, the Olympus is probably the better choice as it has a fast lens. Get her the white one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I have had two good Fuji Bridge digital cameras, and before digital I developed & printed my own film, so I have a fairly good knowledge of cameras and photography.

I want in the first instance, a compact camera to bring to the O2 in June to take a few shots of my all-time favourite performer Tom Petty; I believe the crew get a bit unhappy if you're swinging a serious-looking camera in there (is this correct - are you OK with a compact camera for personal use?). Camera also for general use thereafter, of course.

I also want
    - Form factor that'll fit into a man-size pocket; it doesn't have to be tiny but
    no SLR-type lens sticking out
    - full manual control option, incuding manual control of the flash
    - Good performance at high ISO, for that concert
    - a good, sharp lens; image quality is more important high zoomability
    - Wide angle lens for indoor shots
    - If possible, a PC flash socket or a flash shoe, but this is probably asking too much from a compact camera!
    - I would pay good money for the right camera, is a budget around
    €300 enough? I am flexible
    - Not too worried about HD video and the likes.
    - Prefer to buy locally, in Dublin.

Your recommendations appreciated!
    deandean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

Hi There,

So the story is i've wanted to get try out photography and was considering the Canon EOS 450 a few years ago.

I'm back at that stage again but not willing to spend as much money as before. Reason being I only want a decent camera now that will allow to get a feel for photography i.e. exposure times, focal lengths, ISO settings etc.

I won't be attending any classes on photography or anything.. just doing a small bit of reading online and some trial and error with settings etc. I would like a full manual override.

So my question is will the Fujifilm s 2950 provide the above for me?

I have been looking at the Canon EOS 1100D and 550D models also. They are much higher priced. I know they offer everything I would require and then some. Along with better image quality (possibly?). But they are much more expensive.

I guess the big question is, am I absolutely wasting my money with the Finepix and should I just jump in and get a DSLR or is the bridge enough for me to tip my toes into the photography?

Also, any thoughts on the second hand market? Should I go for an older DSLR model that may only be a bit more expensive than the bridge camera above?

Thanks for any opinions and guidance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

techguy wrote: »
    Hi There,

So the story is i've wanted to get try out photography and was considering the Canon EOS 450 a few years ago.

I'm back at that stage again but not willing to spend as much money as before. Reason being I only want a decent camera now that will allow to get a feel for photography i.e. exposure times, focal lengths, ISO settings etc.

I won't be attending any classes on photography or anything.. just doing a small bit of reading online and some trial and error with settings etc. I would like a full manual override.

So my question is will the Fujifilm s 2950 provide the above for me?

I have been looking at the Canon EOS 1100D and 550D models also. They are much higher priced. I know they offer everything I would require and then some. Along with better image quality (possibly?). But they are much more expensive.

I guess the big question is, am I absolutely wasting my money with the Finepix and should I just jump in and get a DSLR or is the bridge enough for me to tip my toes into the photography?

Also, any thoughts on the second hand market? Should I go for an older DSLR model that may only be a bit more expensive than the bridge camera above?

Thanks for any opinions and guidance.

As I do not know what it is you want to shoot it makes it hard to give advice. All the options above seem reasonable. As for the Finepix you have identified it seems fine, but I would opt for a model which has RAW recording as opposed to just Jpeg. This will allow you more room to grow in the area of Post Production of images.

An option you did not raise would be the cheapest up front. Have you considered getting an SLR Camera as you can buy a lot for very little money. Some kits will also have lenses which you may be able to use later on a DSLR Body. A solid body and a 50mm Prime would be a great way to learn the fundamentals. There are plenty here who shoot film from choice to assist you.

deandean wrote: »
    I have had two good Fuji Bridge digital cameras, and before digital I developed & printed my own film, so I have a fairly good knowledge of cameras and photography.
    Your recommendations appreciated!
    deandean

Olympus XZ-1. I think it ticks all your boxes.

Here's a review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusXZ1/

A step up from that would be one of the micro 4/3 cameras from Olympus and Panasonic like the Pen EP2 & 3 or the Panny DMC GX1 and GF5. Although they have interchangeable lenses, Being mirrorless, they have no pentaprism hump they are so compact they won't be mistaken for a DSLR and could easily be mistaken for being just a P&S. These will cost quite a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

CabanSail wrote: »
    As I do not know what it is you want to shoot it makes it hard to give advice. All the options above seem reasonable. As for the Finepix you have identified it seems fine, but I would opt for a model which has RAW recording as opposed to just Jpeg. This will allow you more room to grow in the area of Post Production of images.

An option you did not raise would be the cheapest up front. Have you considered getting an SLR Camera as you can buy a lot for very little money. Some kits will also have lenses which you may be able to use later on a DSLR Body. A solid body and a 50mm Prime would be a great way to learn the fundamentals. There are plenty here who shoot film from choice to assist you.

Well, I don't plan on shooting anything specific. Just regular stuff like people/things at home and the same outdoors during holidays etc.

To be honest, I hadn't considered a film camera because i'm too much of a geek. It must be digital i'm afraid..

Thats a good point about the RAW format.

Would you advise buying second hand from adverts?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Well, I don't plan on shooting anything specific. Just regular stuff like people/things at home and the same outdoors during holidays etc.

To be honest, I hadn't considered a film camera because i'm too much of a geek. It must be digital i'm afraid..

Just think of Film as being a new Chemical Memory.

It is still a really good and cheap way to learn.

Thats a good point about the RAW format.

Would you advise buying second hand from adverts?

Thanks.

Adverts is fine. You have to apply all the caveats when buying used gear but I have done so a few times and grabbed some bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Anyone any suggestions?

You could go for a Sony Alpha 35 / Alpha 57 / Alpha 65. They have all the features that the NEX-5 has. I'm just about to upgrade from the NEX-5 to the Alpha65 myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Hi i want to sell my camera was looking for second hand camera shops in meath/cavan areas do any of you know anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Guys,

Im looking to pick up a fixed focal lens as i find i am taking more portrait shots these days. And while the kit lens i have (Nikon 18 - 200) is a good all round lens i think the shots are just on the soft side.
    I have a Nikon D7000 and have narrowed it down to the following 3:

Nikon 35mm F:1.8G AF-S DX

Nikon 50mm F:1.4 D (ST)

Nikon 50mm F:1.8 D

Does anyone have any experience of the above ? if so how would you rate them ?

Cheers
    Paul

If your main purpose is portraits, you should perhaps consider fast lenses in the 80-100mm range.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

paulusdu wrote: »
    Guys,

Im looking to pick up a fixed focal lens as i find i am taking more portrait shots these days. And while the kit lens i have (Nikon 18 - 200) is a good all round lens i think the shots are just on the soft side.
    I have a Nikon D7000 and have narrowed it down to the following 3:

Nikon 35mm F:1.8G AF-S DX

Nikon 50mm F:1.4 D (ST)

Nikon 50mm F:1.8 D

Does anyone have any experience of the above ? if so how would you rate them ?

Cheers
    Paul

I have the 50mm f1.8G, great lens, really nice, and very sharp at f4. The 1.8D has the same optics (just no AF motor), and costs a lot less.

The 35mm would be a bit wide for portraits I think... but probably better for general use.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 atwal

Hi group,

Just sold Nikon D3000- thought I can upgrade myself. My budget is between E1000 to E1250 for the camera body and I can spend some for the lenses.

My confusion is for this budget which Nikon model I should be going for. I am interested in both the pictures and video shooting. So wanted to get best out of the money spent. Thought I should get a pro model.

There are so many reviews on youtube and it has confused me more so writing here for the direct communication with the camera users.

Which Nikon model would you recommend for this price? I am open for Canon too if it has something better.

Cheers,
    Atwal.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Just in case I'm reading wrong, is that your budget for JUST the body?

Well, in your price range, I'd imagine the D7000 would be the most obvious by a stretch, or a second hand D300S if you can find one at a decent price.
    On the Canon side, the 7D is awesome (:

A comparison between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Hi there, I would call myself a 'keen amateur' in photography( eg,I know the basics and would use a camera 90%manual). I am now looking to buy a digital SLR. I previously owned an EOS300analogue but this was stolen, and after that I had a Nikon (not too impressed) and a Pentax (both analogue). I really like the Canons though.

Does anyone have any advice on which camera is the better/difference between the 550 and 600 apart from the weight/price? Also, where is a good place to buy one-in Dublin/Wicklow area?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I think the main difference with the 600D is a fold out screen. There may be a few other odds and ends but it's the same sensor, more or less. Ultimately it's the lens that matters most.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

fold out screen is the main diff. If you can push for a 60D it has a better AF system.

• Advertisement

Greystoner wrote: »
    Hi there, I would call myself a 'keen amateur' in photography( eg,I know the basics and would use a camera 90%manual). I am now looking to buy a digital SLR. I previously owned an EOS300analogue but this was stolen, and after that I had a Nikon (not too impressed) and a Pentax (both analogue). I really like the Canons though.

Does anyone have any advice on which camera is the better/difference between the 550 and 600 apart from the weight/price? Also, where is a good place to buy one-in Dublin/Wicklow area?

Thanks.
    If your at any time in the future definitely getthe 600d, the tilt screen is so flexible when filming and can allow you to get shotsyou might not get with the 550d. For still pictures both are identical, the 600d has .1 more megapixels but it's irrelevant no difference whatsoever. It has a really good scene intelligent auto mode, a beefed up version of the feature you'd find on compacts and the auto on dslrs. It also has creative features which I've never used, I do all my processing in Photoshop or Lightroom.

So if you're going to be using it for filming get the 600d if not the 550d is just as good. Also the 600d is comfier to hold with a grip for the thumb, something a friend who has the 550d and really liked the grip. Try both out in the shop, I'm from cork so the only camera places I know in Dublin are conns cameras and camera centre? I think in blanchardstown.

Advertisement