Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

jenno86 wrote: »
    Hey,

Bought a 2nd hand Canon 400d during the week to get me started with DSLRs! It came with an 18-55 kit lense. Want to get something with a zoom!

Any suggestions for me? I was looking at this one!

Going to a wedding next week and want to try it out!

Also need to get another battery! The one I got with it is shíte! What are battery grips like? Any good?

Get 50mm 1.8 instead long and slow zoom lense, so it'll be perfect for your first wedding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

sebphoto wrote: »
    Get 50mm 1.8 instead long and slow zoom lense, so it'll be perfect for your first wedding :)
    I second that

the 55-250 is grand in daylight conditions but terrible in low light situations
    I picked up a spare battery for my 450d a few week ago for €12 on ebay
    it's not Canon but work fine as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Cool, cheers for the fast reply!

How about this one?

Do use a battery grip? Was thinking of getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Cool, cheers for the fast reply!

How about this one?

Do use a battery grip? Was thinking of getting one.

Battery grip? You're pro or you'll be shooting over 800 photos per day? If not then it is not worth it. Get another battery and you'll have more free space in your backpack/bag.
    Yep the URL you give is correct, but you could get it cheaper second hand.
    Regarding battery, if you want to save some money go for hahnel battery instead of original one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Battery grip? You're pro or you'll be shooting over 800 photos per day? If not then it is not worth it. Get another battery and you'll have more free space in your backpack/bag.
    Yep the URL you give is correct, but you could get it cheaper second hand.
    Regarding battery, if you want to save some money go for hahnel battery instead of original one.

No, I'm as far from pro as they come!

Just the battery I got with it was terrible and only lasted about 50 photos! I'll get another one and see how it goes! Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Just a bit of advice
    If you are ordering online
    try and do it as soon as possible

it can take a while for delivery sometimes
    I was waiting over ten days for the battery:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Hi Again,

I'm going to buy one of these two today, as they are the same price I would really like if someone could tell me which is the better option

Sony DT 75-300mm 4.5-5.6 (€129)
    Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Apo Sony fit Lens (€129)

I've heard that sigma is a cheaper alternative to 'own brand' lenses but it does have f4-5.6, and I've read that I'm better with APO

As said I'm a complete newbie to this so any help would be appreciated, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Hey,

Bought a 2nd hand Canon 400d during the week to get me started with DSLRs! It came with an 18-55 kit lense. Want to get something with a zoom!

Any suggestions for me? I was looking at this one!

Going to a wedding next week and want to try it out!

Also need to get another battery! The one I got with it is shíte! What are battery grips like? Any good?

Or better yet, buy that and the 50mm 1.8. The 55-250 is available for €124 from these guys:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-CANON-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-5-6-ZOOM-LENS-55-250-mm-/110723532114?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item19c7a30552#ht_4293wt_1185

I suspect these are dodgy Hong Kong sellers using a UK office (possibly to get around VAT?), but in my experience dodgy Hong Kong sellers are pretty great.

Grab the nifty fifty with the money you save. Should be able to get it for €90 if you shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I've bought from that seller before, no issues and quick postage. Came from the Uk so no import tax.

Well there you have it.

• Advertisement

dacogawa wrote: »
    Hi Again,

I'm going to buy one of these two today, as they are the same price I would really like if someone could tell me which is the better option

Sony DT 75-300mm 4.5-5.6 (€129)
    Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Apo Sony fit Lens (€129)

I've heard that sigma is a cheaper alternative to 'own brand' lenses but it does have f4-5.6, and I've read that I'm better with APO

As said I'm a complete newbie to this so any help would be appreciated, Thanks

I've used the Canon fit version of the sigma and it seemed pretty good for the price. Not image stabilised on the Canon though which is an issue (but I think Sony has in-camera IS?). You won't find a whole lot of Sony users around that can give you definitive advice though. They make great cameras but they don't sell anywhere near as many as Nikon and Canon.

You might get a better (and quicker) answer on a Sony dslr forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Thanks for the advice djgaillimh, very much appreciated :) I'll try a Sony forum

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Jacob81

I'd 3rd this:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kevn

Hi ,
    I was wondering which is the better Camera;
    the Nikon-Coolpix-S6300 or the Panasonic-Lumix-TZ20.
    I'd just be taking some holiday Pictures nothing too fancy.

Nikon-Coolpix-S6300:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Coolpix-S6300-Digital-Camera/dp/B0071L3SBE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2

Panasonic-Lumix-TZ20:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-TZ20-Digital-Camera/dp/B004I1KOIK/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336329243&sr=1-5

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm hoping that this isn't a stupid question :o

Here goes, I used to really be into photography a few years but with one thing and another I gave it up. I have an old Canon EOS (can't remember the exact model at the moment) with a nice range of Canon and Carl Zeiss lens for it.

I now want to go digital and I'm wondering if any of my old lens would work on a digital Canon EOS? Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

kevn wrote: »
    Hi ,
    I was wondering which is the better Camera;
    the Nikon-Coolpix-S6300 or the Panasonic-Lumix-TZ20.
    I'd just be taking some holiday Pictures nothing too fancy.

Nikon-Coolpix-S6300:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Coolpix-S6300-Digital-Camera/dp/B0071L3SBE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2

Panasonic-Lumix-TZ20:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-TZ20-Digital-Camera/dp/B004I1KOIK/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336329243&sr=1-5

Thanks

Going by this website I used for getting a camera, the lumix is the better choice, and from hearing from friends experiences of lumix they seem to be great cameras.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-S6300-vs-Panasonic-TZ20

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'm hoping that this isn't a stupid question :o

Here goes, I used to really be into photography a few years but with one thing and another I gave it up. I have an old Canon EOS (can't remember the exact model at the moment) with a nice range of Canon and Carl Zeiss lens for it.

I now want to go digital and I'm wondering if any of my old lens would work on a digital Canon EOS? Thanks in advance :)

I believe the Canon ones will. Not so sure about the Zeiss.
    Introduced in 1987, the EF lens mount is the standard lens mount on the Canon EOS family of SLR film and digital cameras. EF stands for "Electro-Focus": automatic focusing on EF lenses is handled by a dedicated electric motor built into the lens. Mechanically, it is a bayonet-style mount, and all communication between camera and lens takes place through electrical contacts; there are no mechanical levers or plungers.
    In 2003, Canon introduced the EF-S lens mount, a derivative of the EF mount that is strictly for digital EOS cameras with APS-C sensors released after 2003. EF lenses can be mounted on EF-S bodies but EF-S lenses cannot be mounted on EF bodies.
    Third-party lenses

Compatible third-party lenses with the EF lens mount are manufactured by Samyang, Schneider, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, and Carl Zeiss. The manufacturers of these lenses have reverse engineered the EOS electronics. The use of these lenses is not supported by Canon. Sometimes compatibility problems arise, as no third party has access to Canon's specifications for camera to body communication.[3] These compatibility issues mostly occur when using a newer body with an older third-party lens. Over time, most of these issues have been resolved by the major third-party brands.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount

The lenses may not have the same effective focal length when used on a digital body with a APS-C sensor.:

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/lens/EFLensChart.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Yeah the old ef mounts will work, the fd mounts won't unless you buy an adapter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Eugbug

I'm thinking of buying a Canon 550D from Simplyelectronics.net. They are currently offering the best deal on this camera. Has anyone dealt with this company and bought equipment from them?

Bought a 24-105 L off them. No issues so far (about 6 months ago).

Apparently if/when things go wrong they can be difficult as their warranty isn't with Canon. I bought off them via eBay.

Make sure you're checking the German Amazon for pricing, too, though. Bit daunting buying from a non-english site, but the prices can be close enough (less than €100 in the difference when I bought my 70-200 f/4 IS a couple of months ago).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I bought a 600D from them. They ended up shipping 4 of them to me and they didn't bill my credit card at all. True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Eugbug wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying a Canon 550D from Simplyelectronics.net. They are currently offering the best deal on this camera. Has anyone dealt with this company and bought equipment from them?

http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=Simply+Electronics

My own experience:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74286264&postcount=1414

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Eugbug

Probably a good idea to stay away from them so! What about Pixmania? They are the next least expensive with this model camera. Has anyone had experience with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Eugbug wrote: »
    Probably a good idea to stay away from them so! What about Pixmania? They are the next least expensive with this model camera. Has anyone had experience with them?

I buy a fair amount of stuff from them and i find them ecellent. The ink and photo paper i buy comes from a partner site in england and they say allow 5/7 days for delivery (usually arrives on the 7th day) which is grand.
    The most expensive item that i bought off them is a nikor 55/300mm vr lens for €320 ( which was about €100 cheaper than anywhere else at the time:)) I ordered it at 6pm on a tuesday evening, it arrived 18 hours later at 12 wednesday morning:confused: ( via, paris, hamburg, dublin, shannon, to my front door:cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Hi,

I have a canon 400d and we have a baby on the way, so I'm looking for a budget potrait lens that would be good for taking pics of the new baby. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hi,

I have a canon 400d and we have a baby on the way, so I'm looking for a budget potrait lens that would be good for taking pics of the new baby. Any recommendations?

50mm f1.8 is excellent and around €120.

EDIT: €125 in Argos - http://www.checkargos.com/index.php?productId=569%2F2901

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

50mm f1.8 is excellent and around €120.

EDIT: €125 in Argos - http://www.checkargos.com/index.php?productId=569%2F2901

Thanks for that, that was the one I'd been thinking of myself so will probably go with that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Thanks for that, that was the one I'd been thinking of myself so will probably go with that

This may help - http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=16

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cocococo

Ok im a complete amateur but have a keen interest in learning about Photography. Touched briefly on it in college but that is about 20 years ago. I want digital thinking along the lines of Canon EOS 550D . Can you experts help me. I don't want anything too technical but want a challenge and something i can build up on as i get better without having to get a new one. Thank you in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 tractorist

Hi folks,

Any idea what would be the cheapest camcorder to buy in Argos that allows you to control the iris of the camera (aperture), shutter speed and bitrate (video quality - compression). Also with a sensor better than a 5 euro webcam (smooth color transitions in good light, no green murk in shadows).

I need to buy something and get used to before Wednesday so I'm thinking of Argos as I can't wait for delivery.

Thanks

Advertisement