Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Having broken my reliable fuji finepix camera a few months ago and himself breaking a canon a few years ago we are without a camera. While the dream is to have a canon SLR that's not gonna happen just yet.
    So I need a compact camera with a decent zoom, manual features if possible and no delay at taking photos. Was looking at the canon SX150 IS yesterday and it seems good apart from the size. Need to buy today or tomorrow.
    Any tips greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sammyb

Howdy all,
    Just wondering if you of you have any suggestions. I am looking to purchase a Canon entry level SLR. I am between the Canon EOS 1100D or the Canon 600D. Though am a bit unsure. It will be used for hobby / interest and I am beginning a 25 week fectac level 5 course course in Photography in autumn. Any suggestions welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Blingy

My 'decent' might not be the same as yours, so my recommendation would be an Olympus X-Z1

If your decent means a zoom with a huge range like 10X, then you will want something else.

You can have good image quality or a huge zoom range, but not both. 4.5x or less is the norm for high quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

Hey, i recently picked up one of these of a friend for €50... looking for a lens to go with it. Just something cheap to go with the D70 on which to learn the fundamentals of digital street photography...

Also, just out of interest can i attach a prime lens to the D70?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Many questions in this forum, very few answers:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

dharn wrote: »
    Many questions in this forum, very few answers:(

what was your question? most over the past few pages have gotten answers

ya as i look back there have been some replies but a week ago or so there seemed to be a run of questions and no answers, i follow many of the motoring threads and the response rate there is really great every question will get tons of replies

• Registered Users Posts: 9 butterycup

Hi all,
    I am thinking about buying a DSLR camera and have done some research on these cameras-Canon 550d/600d and the Nikon d90. The Nikon D90 is at the very upper limit of the budget but it has a bigger lens. I had it narrowed down to the 600d and the d90 but then heard that the 550d is superior in sensor quality to the 600d?? Have looked at plenty of reviews online and am just more confused:confused:
    Was just wondering if you experts could steer me in the right direction or if there are any other cameras that I may have overlooked in my search. The camera would mainly be for family photos and maybe some landscape shots aswell.
    Thanking you all very much in advance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Hi butterycup,

I was in your shoes up to April 2011 when I purchased my first DSLR. Therefor only a beginner so if any of the experts here want to correct me, rap me on the knuckles, etc, feel free.
    I spent many hours reading reviews, blogs, specs. until I was totally confused.
    I talked to a professional photographer who had Canon gear. He told me that if someone gave him the money he would change over to Nikon. (he was talking of over 50K worth of gear.)
    Another piece of wisdom I found somewhere was: Get a low end camera and save your money to buy better glass.

I finally purchased a Nikon D3100 with the kit 18-55mm lens. Added a 35mm 1.8G lens recently. (That's the cropped equivalent of the classic 50mm lens.)

While you're at it buy this book: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera. Bryan Peterson (Author)
    http://tinyurl.com/8nxoohh Best twenty euros you'll ever spend on photography!

Cheers,
    Vic.
    butterycup wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am thinking about buying a DSLR camera and have done some research on these cameras-Canon 550d/600d and the Nikon d90. The Nikon D90 is at the <snip>
    Thanking you all very much in advance ;)

butterycup

It does not sound as if you really 'need' a DSLR. There are cameras you could get for less that are, smaller, more portable and yet can produce great results. Something like a Panasonic GF3 could be had for half the price of a D90. The GF3 is a Micro 4/3 camera for which there are quite a few lenses available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=panasonic+gf3&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apanasonic+gf3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 daz2003

Im looking at getting a new DSLR, im looking at either the nikon D3100 or D3200, depending on how much patience i have to save lol, any advice on these cameras??? weather they are good or any other suggestions in around the same price???

p.s any good places to buy??

i have being researching the same cameras the biggest gain i can see with the 3200 is better video performance so if photos is your priority then the 3100 is good enough

http://www.denismacsweeny.com/store/
    daz2003 wrote: »
    Im looking at getting a new DSLR, im looking at either the nikon D3100 or D3200, depending on how much patience i have to save lol, any advice on these cameras??? weather they are good or any other suggestions in around the same price???

p.s any good places to buy??

that 3100 sells for 550 in any bricks and mortar shop in ireland, conns cameras etc my local camera shop will match that price when pushed 50 euro less online

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭GhanGee

I am currently looking for a decent dSLR camera, could be 2nd hand as well. My budget is around 300, or up to 400 for a kit (with 2 lenses).

I checked few options and would like to hear opinions: Lumix G1, Nikon D80 (quite old I know, but still solid and price is great) or D3100

Can anyone suggest an alternative within the budget? What's your experience with those cameras?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I own a D80 and I love it. As you said, it's a solid piece of kit. I've had it for 5 years now and by no means have I outgrown it, it offers a lot.
    The good thing about older models like the D80 is that there is more opinion and books/manuals out there on them.

If you do decide on the D80 you should consider getting Thom Hogan's brilliant guide on it, here

I can't speak for other cameras as I've never used them.

I own a D80 and I love it. As you said, it's a solid piece of kit. I've had it for 5 years now and by no means have I outgrown it, it offers a lot.
    The good thing about older models like the D80 is that there is more opinion and books/manuals out there on them.

If you do decide on the D80 you should consider getting Thom Hogan's brilliant guide on it, here

thanks, D80 is my preference as it's older and it's lots of them on 2nd hand market and are available for good money too. Also there are tons of lenses for it and all 'tweaking' can be done with buttons, that's the thing about 3100 they moved some of those hardware buttons to the LCD menu settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 butterycup

Hi , thanks for the advice vic20 and cnocbui. I already have a bridge camera and want to upgrage it mainly for the lens and the better settings available in these. I understand completely where you are coming from cnocbui in saying that a small camera may suit me but think it would be easier to get lens second hand and on the net for a nikon or canon.
    Vic20- I'm thinking about going for either the Nikon 5100d or 3100d, like you Im getting more confused with reviews. Thinking I might go the same route and get one of these cameras and then be able to build on lens quicker than an expensive camera. What do you think of your camera? Have a Nikon at the minute and have to say that I like them, haven't had a chance to use either camera yet-camera shops are not plentiful where I live but going to look tomorrow at them, just wondered what you thought of yours and how you are finding it.
    Thanks again
    Butterycup

so it is D80 I decided for, I am far from being a photographer and am still playing with it trying to figure out what is what, but I love its function buttons and knobs on the body of the camera that allow me to quickly change everything I need when I want to go manual. 2 lenses, 15-55 f3.5-5.6 VR and 70-300 4-5.6 (at least does Autofocus on D80 it wouldn't on D3100 :D) , not the best ones but good for learning.

Looking at the D5100 review http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5100/ the two differences I spot straight away compared to the D3100 is that there's a hinged screen and AE bracketing. (Mind you, I didn't know what AE bracketing was/what it was used for until I read "Understanding Exposure")
    Got one of these http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm secondhand which is a huge difference from the 18-55mm kit lens.
    I'm happy with my D3100 but having said that I'd also be happy to upgrade if I had the spare cash to blow on a hobby.
    butterycup wrote: »
    Hi , thanks for the advice vic20 and cnocbui. I
    <snip>
    Vic20- I'm thinking about going for either the Nikon 5100d or 3100d, like you Im getting more confused with reviews. Thinking I might go the same route and get one of these cameras and then be able to build on lens quicker than an expensive camera. What do you think of your camera? Have a Nikon at the minute and have to say that I like them, haven't had a chance to use either camera yet-camera shops are not plentiful where I live but going to look tomorrow at them, just wondered what you thought of yours and how you are finding it.
    Thanks again
    Butterycup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shadowgirl

could anyone recommend a decent camera?
    have a lumix, but it doesn't take long distance shots,

i would be so grateful if someone, anyone could recommend something, cause i am starting a photography course in September and would like to have something that will do the course work.

thanks
    sg

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Does your course not at least give some basic recommendations?
    "a decent camera" means different things depending on what you want to do with it.

This one is fairly decent to some :D
    http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m_monochrom/
    shadowgirl wrote: »
    could anyone recommend a decent camera?
    have a lumix, but it doesn't take long distance shots,

i would be so grateful if someone, anyone could recommend something, cause i am starting a photography course in September and would like to have something that will do the course work.

thanks
    sg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

what model is your camera? do you know what focal lengths the lens on it covers?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

We've just become new parents and are looking for a camera to take pictures of the little one. We're specifically looking for one that takes pictures of high enough quality that we can print and frame them.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if we really need a dslr or if a bridge or compact digital camera is enough. We would like something that is easy to use and get the hang of. We're not looking to take sports or low light photos (but maybe will have to as bubs grows up). Our budget is approx 300 euros and I see that Argos have the canon Powershot sx40 for 370.

Would this be a decent buy or should I go for a second hand dslr on adverts or a new compact digital? Also, is the dslr tricky to get the hang of?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

We've just become new parents and are looking for a camera to take pictures of the little one. We're specifically looking for one that takes pictures of high enough quality that we can print and frame them.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if we really need a dslr or if a bridge or compact digital camera is enough. We would like something that is easy to use and get the hang of. We're not looking to take sports or low light photos (but maybe will have to as bubs grows up). Our budget is approx 300 euros and I see that Argos have the canon Powershot sx40 for 370.

Would this be a decent buy or should I go for a second hand dslr on adverts or a new compact digital? Also, is the dslr tricky to get the hang of?

You don't need SLR camera. Compact will do. You can easily get Powershot Gxx series for approx €300 and it'll be better idea in my humble opinion, nevertheless question is - are you going to point and shot or you'll use manual mode too?

+1 to that.

my recommendation would be to also look at the Olympus xz-1. It has a fast lens for a compact which can allow for more blurred backgrounds than most compacts can offer as well as having advantages for low light situations. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-XZ-1-Digital-Camera-i-Zuiko/dp/B004G8QSTY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346272495&sr=8-2

sebphoto wrote: »
    You don't need SLR camera. Compact will do. You can easily get Powershot Gxx series for approx €300 and it'll be better idea in my humble opinion, nevertheless question is - are you going to point and shot or you'll use manual mode too?

Excuse the ignorance, but you mean manual mode as in focusing the camera manually, right? Initially we will definitely be using it on a point and shoot basis but maybe over time we will use it manually. However,if we're mainly using it for the baby, I'd say we won't want to mess around focusing the picture.

So, how does the canon gxx series work? I see canon g1 advertised on mazon for 600gbp, g12 for 340; is it a case of the lower the number,the better the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Excuse the ignorance, but you mean manual mode as in focusing the camera manually, right? Initially we will definitely be using it on a point and shoot basis but maybe over time we will use it manually. However,if we're mainly using it for the baby, I'd say we won't want to mess around focusing the picture.

So, how does the canon gxx series work? I see canon g1 advertised on mazon for 600gbp, g12 for 340; is it a case of the lower the number,the better the camera?

Sorry I didn't express myself clear enough. I meant manual mode in terms of shutter and aperture settings. I've seen G11 second hand for approx €300 on adverts.ie recently. G10 is also excellent camera. I believe you won't get brand new G10 or G11, but second hand. G1X was released in this year, so it's expensive - there's different processor (Digic 5) and much more features.

For more info click here or here and here to compare these cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 m1894

Hi, I want to upgrade my point and shoot camera and I am just wondering should I go for a DSLR or would I be better with a bridge camera? I have an interest in photography but I would just be using the camera for personal use and landscape photos. At the moment I am using a canon ixus 130 and I don't find it great for landscape/long distance. I don't have a lot to spend and it is just a hobby. Does anybody have any advice?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies folks. One last thing, the quality of a camera isn't judged solely by the number of megapixels, right? Looking at the g12 it says that it has 10 megapixels but I assume that it takes better pics than a bog standard compact 10 mp camera. Is that correct? Is this determined by the size of the camera's light sensor or something?

Also, if I want to print quality pictures, should I try to get a camera that saves in RAW format? Or is RAW format only for post-processing images?

Advertisement