Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

Hey guys, I want to buy a camera for some casual use of taking pictures of friends and family, nothing too major. I really like the style of the pentax K1000, I've read reviews and I heard it's really decent.

Can anybody tell me where I can buy one in Ireland?... or recommend another SLR camera like the Pentax K1000?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Can anybody tell me where I can buy one in Ireland?

Try eBay or Adverts.ie
    or recommend another SLR camera like the Pentax K1000?

There's loads...

Olympus OM10, OM20, OM30, OM40, OM-2n etc
    Nikon FM2N
    Canon AE-1
    Minolta X-700

Have a look around eBay.

BTW: Just so we're all clear - the K1000 is a 35mm film SLR... and not one of one of those digital retro cams e.g. Fuji X-100

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TeddyRO1

I would love to purchase a camera now for regular use; such as family occasions, sports events with children, holidays, wedding etc

I am willing to invest good money on good quality and am looking at something maybe next up from digital family but not hugely bulky.

I enjoy putting little albums together or video clips so it would have to be very compatible with laptop....

Could really do with a bit of advice on where to start looking

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

If you don't want to go down the route of getting a bulky DSLR

The canon powershot G1X is an excellent alternative
    It shoot in raw
    also shoots full HD movies 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nukin_futs

Hi folks,
    (Hope this is the right place!)
    We ordered and received this camera the other day.

My question is I can hear an intermittent buzzing noise while it is on. Does anyone have one (or similar) and can confirm that this is normal? Would like to try and get a quick answer so I can return it if necessary.

Thanks.

PS - Is it possible it is the image stabilisation function which I am hearing. I've been looking around to see if anyone else reported this but couldn't find much information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

I bought the Fuji FinePix HS20EXR as present for my girlfriend 2 months ago, she wants something a little less professional. She was looking for something easier to use with fast shutter speed (i think), basically she wants a good digital camera that can take extremely fast photograps without blur, as she says, a camera that I can go "click click click".

She likes the add of the Sony Nex 5N.

But that would be out of my price range, any other suggestions of similar products?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

You can get a camera that can take 10 pics a second.....it doesn't mean they'll not be blurry.

A fast shutter speed needs lots of light or a high ISO combined with a wide aperture. Having a "zoomy" lens zoomed in wont help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The bigger aperture(f stop) the camera has will allow better low light/indoor shots.
    The faster shutter speed you use, the bigger aperture the camera needs (to allow in more light).
    On most cameras the more you zoom in the smaller the aperture available so camera selects a slower shutter speed. Hence blur.
    Also- ISO; high ISO helps in dark situations. But too high and picture gets noisy/bad.

Learn about light, aperture, shutter speed and ISO and she's 3/4 way there.

Does she want a pocketable camera, budget, main use?
    Any camera that has a 'shutter' setting will be able to take quick pics. Some do more frames per second but I don't think thTs important for her.

Canon S100 is very pocketable, has full manual settings. Panasonic LX3 slightly bigger, also very good loads of choice

Fuji X10 is extremelly good and has a viewfinder which helps to frame
    the pic and reduce shake. But it's bigger, more expensive.
    Good luck,
    Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Androl@

Most photos are blurred because the person holding the camera doesn't hold it steady enough while taking the photo. No matter what camera she uses, your girlfriend should try and be aware of this and concentrate on holding the camera steady while taking the photo.

That said - to freeze the motion of people moving about, you need a fast shutter speed. If the people are in a pub, indoors or anywhere where lighting is low, she should either use a flash to provide more light or the lens needs to have a wider aperture so it lets in more light. A 'fast' lens is one with a wide aperture and it is called 'fast' because it allows a fast shutter speed compared to a 'slow' lens.

The only fairly simple compact camera that has a 'fast' lens is the Olympus XZ-1, which has an aperture of F1.8., which is faster than the Finepix.

If she hasn't been using the flash, she should first try that before getting a new camera. If photos taken with flash are blurred, then the problem is likely to do with auto-focus. If she doesn't want to use flash, then a faster lens is the best solution.

dinneenp wrote: »
    The bigger aperture(f stop) the camera has will allow better low light/indoor shots.
    The faster shutter speed you use, the bigger aperture the camera needs (to allow in more light).
    On most cameras the more you zoom in the smaller the aperture available so camera selects a slower shutter speed. Hence blur.
    Also- ISO; high ISO helps in dark situations. But too high and picture gets noisy/bad.

Learn about light, aperture, shutter speed and ISO and she's 3/4 way there.

Does she want a pocketable camera, budget, main use?
    Any camera that has a 'shutter' setting will be able to take quick pics. Some do more frames per second but I don't think thTs important for her.

Canon S100 is very pocketable, has full manual settings. Panasonic LX3 slightly bigger, also very good loads of choice

Fuji X10 is extremelly good and has a viewfinder which helps to frame
    the pic and reduce shake. But it's bigger, more expensive.
    Good luck,
    Pa

She really doesnt want to learn about anything TBH, she see's the adverts of these small cameras that are taking flawless pictures of fast moving objects and thats what she wants. I try to tell her that adverts are exageratted but she insits surely there must be something out there that can achieve this.

The cannon s100 is that the newer or older version of the Canon powershot sx210, that camera seems decent enough for what she wants, would you agree.

She wrote down 2 cameras she likes from adverts, Sony NEX5N and Nikon J1, but both are out of my budget.

• Advertisement

She really doesnt want to learn about anything TBH, she see's the adverts of these small cameras that are taking flawless pictures of fast moving objects and thats what she wants. I try to tell her that adverts are exageratted but she insits surely there must be something out there that can achieve this.

The cannon s100 is that the newer or older version of the Canon powershot sx210, that camera seems decent enough for what she wants, would you agree.

She wrote down 2 cameras she likes from adverts, Sony NEX5N and Nikon J1, but both are out of my budget.

No, the S100 is newer model of the S90 & 95.
    The 2 ones she likes aren't for her. Too advanced & use interchangable lenses, are a bit advanced.
    The Olympus XZ-1 is very good too.
    I know she doens't want to learn but tell her 30 minutes (or less) and she'll be able to take the pictures she wants.

dinneenp wrote: »
    No, the S100 is newer model of the S90 & 95.
    The 2 ones she likes aren't for her. Too advanced & use interchangable lenses, are a bit advanced.
    The Olympus XZ-1 is very good too.
    I know she doens't want to learn but tell her 30 minutes (or less) and she'll be able to take the pictures she wants.

I was looking into the Canon S100 and Olympus XZ-1 there, both very suitable candidtates, great reviews and within budget.

One last question before making a decision, the Nikon J1 claims to take pictures before the shutter is fully pressed. This she loved the idea of. Is this a gimic? If not, is there any other on the market that can do this to that would be a suitable candidate? Thanks for the advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jpb1974 wrote: »
    There's loads...

Olympus OM10, OM20, OM30, OM40, OM-2n etc
    Nikon FM2N
    Canon AE-1
    Minolta X-700
    if you're looking for an olympus OM, i would strongly suggest going for an OM1 or OM2 rather than an OM10 or OM20. there won't be a huge difference in price, but the OM1 is a much nicer camera to use than the OM10.

One last question before making a decision, the Nikon J1 claims to take pictures before the shutter is fully pressed. This she loved the idea of. Is this a gimic? If not, is there any other on the market that can do this to that would be a suitable candidate? Thanks for the advice.

No idea to be honest. It's an expensive camera and very different than the others though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Smart Photo Selector is an evolution of Nikon Best Shot Selector. In this new mode, depressing the shutter release half-way triggers recording and saving images to the buffer memory. An icon displays in the LCD that lets you know that recording has begun. Pressing the shutter release home also captures the desired shot, and the camera then compares it with the frames captured before the shutter button was fully depressed.

The camera selects what it calculates are the best five shots, based on composition and sharpness, and writes them to the memory card. While this can be useful, the camera is tied up processing and comparing the images for a couple of seconds after shooting.
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/nikon-j1-1036622/review/page:2#articleContent

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Just wondering has anyone had any experience or can they recommend the Canon S95?
    I'm looking for a new point and shoot and it's going for a great price over on amazon at the moment
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Sensitivity-Megapixel/dp/B00400OK52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340637356&sr=8-1

Or should I stretch for the considerably more expensive but newer s100?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerShot-S100-Digital-Camera/dp/B005N5NF6I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340640162&sr=1-1

(If i'm in the wrong forum, mods please move)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I am going interailing and never had a digital camera before, im on a bit of a budget but was wondering if there was any suggestions on where to get a decent camera in the dublin area?
    Any model suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Im looking for a point and shoot camera for general use. Id mainly be looking for something simple that takes photos quickly, no delay. Also something pretty durable that I can throw in my pocket without worrying about it.

The above camera is currently reduced from 300 to 200 euro. Reviews seem mixed on it. Can anyone advise if its a goid choice? Or any alternatives in the same price range?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 danigirl

I am new to the world of SLR camera's and would like to know about users suggestions about which SLR camera is a good entry level camera to begin with?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There is no "best". It's the one that suits YOU best.

Browse online, read reviews (amazon, dpreview, etc).

But, before you buy anything, go to a shop and hold the cameras in your hand. Get to feel them.

You may be surprised, but if you shoot a lot, you want something that fits you right. Something that is comfortable enough to hold and shoot with. Something that you can carry around.

Then go back, think about it again, before you buy.

When buying a camera, you are buying in to a brand, not buying a single item. Remember that. The obvious choices (by popularity) are Canon and Nikon. Canon shooters will recommend Canon, Nikon shooters will recommend Nikon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Hi ,
    I am joining a photography club in university , I am thinking of buying a camera on adverts.ie
    it's a Nikon D40 , Very good condition, 2 Yrs old, moderate usage. comes with 18-55mm lense, 4GB memory card & charger.

I am wondering if this sounds like a fair deal , i will be using it for landscapes,wildlife etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

How much is it? Bear in mind a zoom lens would be better for wildlife.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    How much is it? Bear in mind a zoom lens would be better for wildlife.

Hi, 250 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I bought a D40 in Argos about 3-4 years ago on special for €300 new with the 18-55 lens. They probably paid a lot more and are expecting a lot more for it.

I have used a D40 as a backup to my D3 when needed and it was perfect if not a bit more basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Hi, 250 euro

Sounds like a good deal. I'm not familiar with Nikon lenses but you should be able to get a decent zoom cheap enough. The kit lens wouldn't be much good for wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Hi, 250 euro

Sounds like a good deal. I'm not familiar with Nikon lenses but you should be able to get a decent zoom cheap enough. The kit lens wouldn't be much good for wildlife.

Pick up the sigma 70-30 zoom for less than €150 great bang for buck I use it all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Suppose the quality of any digital cameras by now is fairly high now, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Nikon D40

Good camera
    Very good condition

Good, but a more precise description would be useful.
    2 Yrs old

Just about possible, but a bit unlikely. Ask where and when it was
    bought. A copy of the sales receipt would confirm the age of the camera.
    moderate usage.

Again, more detail would be useful. How many shutter activations?
    comes with 18-55mm lense, 4GB memory card & charger.

It would be a nice camera kit for someone starting out. Don't be put off
    by the relatively low MP count. The D40 always produced very high image
    quality. The same is true of 6MP Pentax DSLRs which were based on the
    same Sony CCD image sensor.
    I am wondering if this sounds like a fair deal , i will be using it for landscapes,wildlife etc

I think the price is a little high. As stocks of the D40 were drying up about
    2-3 years ago, you could buy them new for just over €300 even here in Cork.

D40 2006, D40X 2007, D60 2008, D3000 2009, D3100 2010, D3200 2012.

The 18-55mm lens will be ok for most landscape and general photography.
    It is a bit short for wildlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

shanered wrote: »
    Suppose the quality of any digital cameras by now is fairly high now, right?

The state-of-the-art is gradually improving. In most respects, digital cameras
    are better than they were a few years ago.

There is still a huge difference between a basic camera like a €50 compact
    point-&-shoot and a high-end camera like a full-frame DSLR.

• Advertisement

Change of plan , am getting a better deal with a Nikon D3000:cool:

Advertisement