Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep meaningful intellectual movie, makes you think on another level??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Solaris (1972) and Crimes And Misdemeanors, on the surface a fine comedy but a very powerful ethical issue running along side it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Arabella

It's not to everybody's tastes, but Tim Blake Nelsons's Leaves of Grass is another worth checking out. It is very funny in places and also very dark. It may not be as philosophically stimulating as some of the other films previously mentioned, but it is a good example of philosophy working through the medium of film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Dark City

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The Butterfly Affect. It's very well put together, and discusses the whole "What If?" scenario, that people tend to think about. But Butterfly Effect I think is great for making you think.

Proberly the only movie that I liked by Ashton Kutcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Riddle101 wrote: »
    The Butterfly Affect. It's very well put together, and discusses the whole "What If?" scenario, that people tend to think about. But Butterfly Effect I think is great for making you think.

Proberly the only movie that I liked by Ashton Kutcher.
    I've highlighted the correct one. You seemed confused.

tumblr_lpe6w7XGSP1qle0jco1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Not sure if its already been mentioned but i think this deserves a mention
    a film i could only watch once but still has me thinking 10 years later..

requiem-for-a-dream.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Wouldn't say deep, but American Beauty always makes me think about life...or, more importantly, how we go about living life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

One that's on T.V. at this very second: Into the Wild

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Man with a Movie Camera dates from 1929 and is a silent Film. Don't let this but you off is it is a documentary on the running of a city from morning to night. Its a Soviet Film so you get to see some Great late 1920s Soviet era stuff as well. Stalin took a dislike to the director Vertov years later and he had to give up film making I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Sinfonia wrote: »
    On top of others mentioned, try some more Charlie Kaufman!

Being John Malkovich
    Adaptation.
    Synecdoche, New York

I'd recommend watching them in that order too: BJM to get you used to his mind, Adaptation.to get you used to his meta-ness (is that a word?); by then the ultra-mega-meta SNY should be less confusing :P

(I haven't yet watched Human Nature or Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, so can't comment on them, maybe someone else can...)

Watched Human Nature recently. Very good film. More a quirky comedy though. Teaching mice table manners, i'll say no more :D

If you want films to make you think presented in a contemporary setting then Kauffman is your man. Love all his work.

Was scrolling down to see if anyone mentioned Synecdoche New York. Have seen it 5 times. The 5th viewing better than the ones before. Far more depressing than his other work though. We are all finite etc. But brilliant all the same

• Advertisement

Not sure if its already been mentioned but i think this deserves a mention
    a film i could only watch once but still has me thinking 10 years later..

Requiem For A Dream: Watched it recently on Netflix, hasn't aged too well imo, that frenetic editing and the noise that accompanies it gets on your tits, also not as daring and edgy as people seem to think it is, having said that Jennifer Connolly in it is probably the most beautiful woman to ever grace the silver screen worth watching again just for her (in the earlier scenes btw, not that unpleasantness later on)!

042809_connelly_300x400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Inception :p

I'd recommend The Squid and the Whale and Pay It Forward

• Registered Users Posts: 19 smashedhat

A couple of people have mentioned "Synecdoche, New York". Now it's a bit of a mess- it's very ambitious and pretentious. However, near the end there is a fantastic speech by the funeral priest. It stopped me with it's power and I've watched the speech so many times now. And the voice-over speech during last few minutes is equally fantastic- depressing, but brilliant. So yeah, definitely a film worth checking out. Being John Malkovich is much more accessible and enjoyable, some fantastic scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I fondly remember back in the day the younger lad
    being a big man while i was at work decided to head down
    to the local video shop for a double bill for the late friday night
    (probably with MY money)...

and later presented his choice of films.

:D

Now the first was ZABRISKE POINT which he proudly
    proclaimed was something of an important film and while there
    watching with the usual suspects and getting increasingly pissed
    off with it was eventually ejected.

Being a bit of a joker and us being half cut only getting the
    videos in after the old dear has gone up after THE LATE LATE,
    the little bollox produces SS EXPERIMENT CAMP.

Which kept us up for hours with mirth and merryment!

:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Okuribito (Departures)

Excellent touching film about the Japanese practice of embalming. Really got me thinking about life.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1069238/

Another would be The Sunset Limited. TV movie adaptation of the Cormac McCarthy play starring Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson. A discussion between two very different people about life and its worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB4xlYKAVCQ&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1

A wonderful, strange and hypnotic movie that sums up the early 90s so well and contains so much food for thought. Amazing too that it only cost 20,000 dollars and is more interesting and creative than most movies 100+ times that budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Barney's version

Very thought provoking, one of my favourite films.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I heard some TOTALLY rubbish 'zine rated Jack Nicholson's performance
    in OFOTCN was the best of ALL TIME today... :rolleyes:

Personally speaking, CHINATOWN was his finest moment.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

The 1972 Solyaris.

One of those films that you just stare at the credits when it ends deep in thought. One of the best films I've ever seen.

Good thread!

The 1972 Solyaris.

One of those films that you just stare at the credits when it ends deep in thought. One of the best films I've ever seen.

Good thread!

Astonishing film, helps if you see it on the big screen, for the first half an hour I thought it was boring then it hits you on a metaphysical level, had me thinking about it for the next month or so, amazing piece of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

For a serious mind warp, watch L'Annee Derniere A Marienbad

I studied it as part of a European Film module in my first year of college and used the same film for an Art History paper in my final year for a critique on the methodology of Jonathan Crary's book Suspensions of Perception: Attention, Spectacle and Modern Culture.

Honestly, writing that paper nearly killed me. The most intellectual endeavour of my whole life. Don't think I could do it again! Great film though.

Advertisement