Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 years jail for garlic scam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Because then you would be punishing the company instead of the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

florawest wrote: »
    I totally disagree with him being jailed, he employs alot of people, why not have an alternative, say supply Simon Community or some other needy group of people with fresh fruit and veg for a year as well as paying back what he defrauded, the law is strange, seems to be a bit laxy on some and extremely tough on others, why not the same across the board

He is paying back money that was not his to begin with, where is the penalty in that. Steal then return sure the crime remains unpunished. Supply the Simon community with fruit and veg :eek: thats a real deterrent. The law is fairly clear cut, knowingly defraud the revenue commisioners over a period of years get caught go on trial and enjoy your sentence. What is strange is your approach. If we apply your twisted logic then all criminals could donate fruit and veg to the Simon community and walk free. Or are you suggesting that Begley's case is different on the basis that he is an employer and a pillar of the community.Maybe in your community he is and I hope you embrace all criminals in such a way. The law is tough on some for a reason, to discourage employers/businessmen employing "hundreds", pillars of the community, donors to charity etc from allowing their greed to defraud us the normal decent hardworking people of this country. His is where all chancers end up when their facade slips. Prison... With all like minded criminals. Donate fruit and veg FFS get real. Where do you live? fairystory avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Maybe if you read it again, you will see i said as well as giving to a worthy cause, Pay Back What He Defrauded the System

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I totally disagree with him being jailed, he employs alot of people, why not have an alternative, say supply Simon Community or some other needy group of people with fresh fruit and veg for a year as well as paying back what he defrauded, the law is strange, seems to be a bit laxy on some and extremely tough on others, why not the same across the board
    It is a bit lax.
    And you want his only punishment for a €1.6 fraud to be to have to supply the Simon Community with fresh fruit and veg for a year. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Maybe if you read it again, you will see i said as well as giving to a worthy cause, Pay Back What He Defrauded the System

Read it again why? Will it seem less like bullsh1t. Paying back money he stole, explain how that or donating to charity is a punishment for fraud. I think to be honest it is you who needs to read again as I referred to both your fairytale suggestions in my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublinwon

Scammers and liars should be jailed. You can't compare crimes he deserves every bit of the sentence he got. He must have got his family to write all the do gooder posts. He was probably up to a lot more and is the type that has the country in the mess it's in. Why should we celebrate a thief liar and scammer just because he employed people. Sure he can still sell his apples and oranges from his cell in prison and continue to not pay any taxes unlike the rest of us that actually do obey the law

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mconigol wrote: »
    Heres a dentist who just seteled a 1.7million euro tax bill...as well as a bunch of other people
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0313/revenue-business.html

I suppose all these people need to be locked away too???
    from that link
    Mr Brooke Tyrrell, a former assistant manager at FÁS, was last year sentenced to four years in prison, with the last two suspended, for defrauding the agency of over €600,000 between 2003 and 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

@Dublinwon, it is pretty inflamatory to suggest that he is up to a lot more. Any proof on that one? Nope?

I used to know Paul Begley, when I ran a fruit and veg in the 90s. He was far nicer to deal with than most of the larger groups. They were always struggling under the pressure of Keelings in particular, who have the large supermarkets mostly sewn up.

Absolutely, he made a mistake and deliberately too a short-cut to make money for the business, and in turn for himself (as it is family run). But to suggest he deserves a 6 year custodial sentance is preposterous, in light of how sentencing is typically imposed in this country -

A man convicted of sexual assault on 2 boys got 12 years. Chance of reoffending - yes.
    Rape sentances are typically 8 years
    And our Donegal friend who's been recaptured today in Derry gets 7 years for killing a Garda, on top of all his earlier convictions. Chance of reoffending - very much so.

So your idea of fairness, or getting what he deserved, is very different from mine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Dickerty wrote: »
    Absolutely, he made a mistake and deliberately too a short-cut to make money for the business

He didn't "make a mistake" or "take a short cut", he knowingly and deliberately committed a serious revenue offence over a period of years. If he knew it was an offence then presumably he also knew the potential consequences if he was caught, up to and including imprisonment. The business was his and his family's, so the money it made was also his.
    Dickerty wrote: »
    But to suggest he deserves a 6 year custodial sentance is preposterous, in light of how sentencing is typically imposed in this country -

He has the right to appeal the severity of the sentence and no doubt he'll exercise it. But whatever the appeal court decides, their previous judgement referenced earlier in this thread, in particular this passage:

significant and systematic frauds directed upon the public revenue . . . should generally meet with an immediate and appreciable custodial sentence.

- would hardly give him grounds for much optimism that he'll escape a significant prison term.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I think it is a disgrace the Paul Begley has been jailed for 6 years. Ever since I heard, it has stuck in my mind. This is not justice. Is there a petition or some other way to show the powers that be that the majority of people do not agree with this.

His crime was financial and so should be his punishment. He was paying the money back. Now he is in jail at the countries expense.

I also think a 232% tax on garlic is ridiculous. What happened to let the market decide.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

6 years in jail for a garlic tax dodge.

Yet no banker has been prossecuted or jailed for all the millions of euro going missing and fcuking up this country

Oh and a garda only get a 2k euro fine and 6 months to pay for sexual harrassment and sexual assault.

What a country we live in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Someone on the radio today mentioned a comparison between this case and the man who got 12 years for a Social Welfare fraud which resulted in much less loss of state money. Given the amount of deliberation and planning involved in both cases it is probably a fair comparison.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0721/murrayp.html

Mits wrote: »
    What happened to let the market decide.
    Do you want to 'let the market decide'? do you really want a fully free market where goods and labour can cross borders with no restrictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

So let me get this.. You don't agree with this guy going to jail??

Funny as it sound the guy scammed the tax system.

If he was let go what is stopping other chef, hotels doing the same?

It may have a high tax rate but it does give the guy the right to try and scam his way to lower tax

Cork24 wrote: »
    So let me get this.. You don't agree with this guy going to jail??

Funny as it sound the guy scammed the tax system.

If he was let go what is stopping other chef, hotels doing the same?

It may have a high tax rate but it does give the guy the right to try and scam his way to lower tax

Its the severity of the jail sentence and the fact that he had allready agreed a payment plan with revenue and paid back the money owed to revenue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Someone on the radio today mentioned a comparison between this case and the man who got 12 years for a Social Welfare fraud which resulted in much less loss of state money. Given the amount of deliberation and planning involved in both cases it is probably a fair comparison.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0721/murrayp.html

There's a lot more planning and deliberation in that in fairness, identity theft of 7 different people for one thing. I would consider that a lot more serious than mislabeling his own imported vegetables to avoid an absurd tax percentage.
    dvpower wrote: »
    Do you want to 'let the market decide'? do you really want a fully free market where goods and labour can cross borders with no restrictions?

It's not "no restrictions", he was paying the standard tax rate from what I can tell - if I can source a vegetable at a good price I want to be able to import it without the tax man ludicrously taxing my goods out of the universe. It's not our problem if the EU can't compete in the garlic stakes with China.

Do you support VRT here btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Do the. Crime pay the price..

If he got away with this what will stop any one else following his foot steps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Cork24 wrote: »
    If he got away with this what will stop any one else following his foot steps

A rational punishment, one that fits the crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Never has a criminal gotten such much support on boards.ie

Stealing cars and breaking them to sell for parts is not a violent crime either but if some lad was going around estates at night stealing cars over a number of years he'd get less sympathy then this other crook

Irelands love of the cute hoor who fiddles the system continues
    The same people who were blasting Tipp North and Kerry are now supporting Begley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

You only get 7 years for killing a Garda. In a minimum security prison.

And this garlic guy is paying back the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

This is off the topic of Paul Begley. The excuse we hear for stocks, shares, interest rates etc is that the market decides. I do not believe in protectionism, the butter and grain mountains of the past. Farmers being paid not to plant crops. Fishermen put out of business due to EU limits and this an island.
    If a product or service can be produced somewhere else cheaper, with the same quality and conditions and people want to buy it and not support local, then yes the market should decide. If the conditions of production are not equal or fair then there should be other ways to deal with it, maybe a total ban.

How long of a jail sentence did Ivor Callily get for all his criminal behavour??

Same with Ray Burke???

He only got 6 monts in jail.

I wonder why??

Oh and read the very last line about Burke being made a "SCAPEGOAT".

Unbelievebale eh??

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0124/burker.html

Former Fianna Fáil Minister Ray Burke has been transferred to Arbour Hill Prison where he has begun his six-month sentence.

Burke was earlier photographed and finger-printed at Mountjoy Prison before being transferred to Arbour Hill.

This afternoon, the former minister was jailed by the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court for tax offences.

The Tánaiste Mary Harney described the sentence as a watershed in Irish life. Speaking in Limerick, Ms Harney said the imprisonment of the former Government minister vindicated the work of the tribunals and inquiries that had been set up.

She said it was a huge fall from grace for somebody who held several Cabinet portfolios.

Imposing the sentence, Judge Desmond Hogan said that Burke, who had held a number of senior Government portfolios including Environment, Justice, and Foreign Affairs, had abused his special position.

The judge said that as a member of the Dáil, Burke took part in the legislative process that affects the lives of everybody in Ireland.

Judge Hogan said Burke's offences were premeditated acts to minimise his taxes, and that he had committed a breach of trust.

The 61-year-old was a minister when the 1983 Finance Act, under which he was prosecuted, was passed into law.

Guilty plea

The former politician pleaded guilty last July to knowingly or wilfully furnishing incorrect information during the Government's tax amnesty of 1993 by failing to declare an income of £91,980.

He also admitted knowingly or wilfully furnishing incorrect information to the Inspector of Taxes on or after December 1993 by failing to declare income of £24,038.

The investigation by the Criminal Assets Bureau that led to Burke's arrest began in 2000, and in a search at his home a folder of information showed he had failed to fully declare his income over a nine-year period.

He had declared income from deposit accounts at just over £5,000 for the period 1982 to 1991. Actual earnings were over £97,000.

In mitigation, Judge Hogan considered Burke's early guilty plea, his co-operation and the fact that he is now tax compliant. But he said he had abused his special position and a jail sentence was warranted.

The judge then imposed a six-month sentence and refused leave to appeal.

Burke's lawyer, Patrick Hunt, earlier urged Judge Hogan not to jail his client, adding his previous position was no reason to scapegoat him

This is off the topic of Paul Begley. The excuse we hear for stocks, shares, interest rates etc is that the market decides. I do not believe in protectionism, the butter and grain mountains of the past. Farmers being paid not to plant crops. Fishermen put out of business due to EU limits and this an island.
    If a product or service can be produced somewhere else cheaper, with the same quality and conditions and people want to buy it and not support local, then yes the market should decide. If the conditions of production are not equal or fair then there should be other ways to deal with it, maybe a total ban.
    Or an large import duty perhaps?

paddy147 wrote: »
    He only got 6 monts in jail.

I wonder why??

Oh and read the very last line about Burke being made a "SCAPEGOAT".

Unbelievebale eh??
    What's unbelievable is that someone would try and mix Ray Burke into this case.

You do know that its possible to start new threads for different topics?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think it is a disgrace the Paul Begley has been jailed for 6 years. Ever since I heard, it has stuck in my mind. This is not justice. Is there a petition or some other way to show the powers that be that the majority of people do not agree with this.

His crime was financial and so should be his punishment. He was paying the money back. Now he is in jail at the countries expense.

I also think a 232% tax on garlic is ridiculous. What happened to let the market decide.

Are you running a bit scared because of your own tax dodging?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69189757&postcount=13

What's unbelievable is that someone would try and mix Ray Burke into this case.

You do know that its possible to start new threads for different topics?

So Im not allowed to show or highlight how other people (tds and senators) do the same illegal thing,but only get very minor jail terms??

Im not allowed to do that here,just becuse you dont like it??.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Why is it that we hear of tax evaders many a time with their names published in newspapers and they just get a big fine?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Are you running a bit scared because of your own tax dodging?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69189757&postcount=13

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    So Im not allowed to show or highlight how other people (tds and senators) do the same illegal thing,but only get very minor jail terms??

Im not allowed to do that here,just becuse you dont like it??.
    Ray Burke was smuggling garlic too? I always suspected it:rolleyes:

Advertisement