Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launching

Options
  • 09-03-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Do most folks launch and land each time or go for a mooring (mariner parking is out of my budget)
    I hear there are some spots that are unregulated - so u can throw your own mooring down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Depends on a few things really, don't think you could say what "most" people do.
    Depends on the size of your boat, ours is a 38ft cruiser, not something you'd launch and land daily....
    Depends on your distance from home, how far have you got to pull the boat to launch in a river/ lake etc
    Depends on budget.....
    Depends how often you plan on using it, if you try get out every weekend it would make more sense to get a mooring.....

With regards to unregulated spots, I honestly don't know, I don't imagine waterways ireland would be too impressed though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

If you can haul it in and out then do it!! as it reduces the need for barnacle cleaning (P.I.T.A.) and applying antifoul every year or two. Also if it's in an "unregulated" mooring , how are you going to get to it , another boat required + oars at least or another engine which means more up keep and still the need to bring something to the waters edge to get you out to the boat.

IMO there is the peace of mind knowing that you can look out into the yard and know that the boat is ok, you can't do that if it's miles away...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Do most folks launch and land each time or go for a mooring (mariner parking is out of my budget)
    I hear there are some spots that are unregulated - so u can throw your own mooring down

Technically nobody owns the sea and the foreshore.
    the problem is how to you get to the shore? If you are coming and going a lot you need a foreshore licence. But let us say you only launch and recover once or you do it in an easily accessible public slipway not in a harbor.

Yes you can do that for free.

And you can put down a mooring. but that in itself will cost you e;g; a tractor digger at a low spring tide and a half tonne of cement.

so suppose you have these down.
    Are you inside a shelter e.g an island - not on the east coast then
    Of course you could go up an estuary but then you are maybe into a wildlife reserve and that comes under other laws.

Inside a port or harbour wall -under the harbour authority; some yacht clubs -near dublin i wont mention them - get away with this but the moorings are not ideal and even then somewhat exposed and you have to join the club and pay annual fees. i am not referring to my club by the way because our harbour is derelict and not under an authority.

given you put down a mooring you still have the bad weather problem of it slipping off and getting run aground or bounced off boulders or port walls.

If you are on the West coast things are wholly different. Loads of little bays and islands to block the bad weather and swells.
    But then who will keep an eye on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Its just im trying to cut the costs!
    my parking space is 19 foot but the boat trailor is 24...

I can park on the rd parallel to my house on the oppositre side of rd to the houses on the estate but if i do that and they need in addition to their 2 driveways spaces - park on the rd outside their house - no traffic will get by! Anyone have experience with parking boats in this situation?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

ISAW wrote: »
    Technically nobody owns the sea and the foreshore.

Technically the State owns the foreshore and sea bed quite a distance out. ;)

You may also find the local Harbour Authority has jurisdiction in that area and the Harbour Master will simply come along and remove the mooring or drop it with a simple cut of his knife. Speak with the locals and see who gives permission to drop moorings in the area. If there are no moorings there already, there may be a very good reason for that.

Eg. Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

We had a post here a few weeks about mooring http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056535997 it's not just a case of dropping a weight and a bit of chain there are a lot of factors that come into play. I would stick with launch and retrieve, as for parking on the street I don't think your insurance company will like that and your heart will be broken with kids messing on it and the worry of it getting robbed. Put the word out that your looking for a lockup,garage,farm barn or yard space and something might come up or how about one of these it might give you enough room to park in your own space. "folding trailer hitch"

qu26402_800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

My fletcher is parked in a front garden. not out on the road I know but for security I have:
    • Chain at the front connected to a stainless steel ring sunk into concrete
    • Chain at the back connected to a stainless steel ring sunk into concrete
    • Wheel clamp
    • Hitch lock (safety chain locked onto this)
    • Outboard lock
    • Outboard chained to the trailer (tight to it so its not easily raised)
    • Engine backed close to a wall (difficult to work around)
    • Covered fully
    • Gate locked
    • Blocked in by a car most nights and in plain view from the road
    • Keys hidden in a lock box (which is itself hidden)
    So if someone wanted to take it there would be a lot of things they would need to cut. The higher number of measures you can have the better as a deterrent.

fergal.b wrote: »
    We had a post here a few weeks about mooring http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056535997 it's not just a case of dropping a weight and a bit of chain there are a lot of factors that come into play. I would stick with launch and retrieve, as for parking on the street I don't think your insurance company will like that and your heart will be broken with kids messing on it and the worry of it getting robbed. Put the word out that your looking for a lockup,garage,farm barn or yard space and something might come up or how about one of these it might give you enough room to park in your own space. "folding trailer hitch"

qu26402_800.jpg

where can u buy one of these chief?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A company called fulton make one where you cut the trailer where you want it and just bolt it on but there may be limits to how long you can make it. http://accessories.etrailer.com/trailer/Folding%20Trailer%20Coupler I'm not sure if you can get them in Ireland but you could try indespension (01)8081300 or look on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Ned,

Don't want to come off like a P.I.T.A. but surely knowing your parking restrictions would have played a factor in choosing your craft?

Anyway I'd too would also see if I could find a yard or farmer who would let you park it there. mention your problem to people at work you'll never know till you ask.
    Where there's a will.. and all that stuff...;)

• Advertisement

tin79 wrote: »
    My fletcher is parked in a front garden. not out on the road I know but for security I have:
    • Chain at the front connected to a stainless steel ring sunk into concrete
    • Chain at the back connected to a stainless steel ring sunk into concrete
    • Wheel clamp
    • Hitch lock (safety chain locked onto this)
    • Outboard lock
    • Outboard chained to the trailer (tight to it so its not easily raised)
    • Engine backed close to a wall (difficult to work around)
    • Covered fully
    • Gate locked
    • Blocked in by a car most nights and in plain view from the road
    • Keys hidden in a lock box (which is itself hidden)
    So if someone wanted to take it there would be a lot of things they would need to cut. The higher number of measures you can have the better as a deterrent.

That sounds like a right challenge whats your address im sure someone would have a go at it for the sheer challenge! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I would post it but I am afraid the Government will come after me for the household tax as I slept in the boat one night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Its just im trying to cut the costs!

I can park on the rd parallel to my house on the oppositre side of rd to the houses on the estate but if i do that and they need in addition to their 2 driveways spaces - park on the rd outside their house - no traffic will get by! Anyone have experience with parking boats in this situation?

You're asking for trouble or maybe your neighbours never have any family, friends, deliveries or tradesmen arriving by car or van.
    It also sounds like a recipe for tragedy if a fire unit or ambulance had to get in to your estate and imagine what the bin truck will do to it in the early hours.

Got the launching and landing of the boat under ctrl - its surprisingly easy on high tide - can do it within 5 mins - no rollercoaster trailer either - happy enough as you gotta be able to do it all yourself.

Any tips on avoiding burning the clutch though taking it off the water on a steep enough slip way...

just coomon sense or are there tricks:

- tide coming in
    - no rain
    - good tyres
    ??? tis a ballix burning the clutch out & a friend did his clutch on the same slip 2 weeks ago and hes been doing it years!!!

Advertisement