Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mooring a boat

Options
  • 01-02-2012 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey everyone

Can anyone give me advice on mooring a boat in Galway.
    I mean how do you actually put the mooring in place, what weight of mooring relative to the boat, whats the best type of mooring.
    can i put a mooring anywhere. What regulations are there.
    The boat in question is a 22foot sailing boat and i live in Galway city.

Thanks to anyone who has advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi gaerjukie your best bet will be to talk to the local sailing club or fishermen as there are a lot of factors that come into play like the tide and the swing of the mooring. The basic set up is a weight like a mushroom anchor, train wheels or a fishboxes filled with concrete connected to a swivel shackle and then a heavy bottom chain about 1.5 times the maximum depth of the water then connect that to a lighter chain equal to the max depth and up to a buoy with another shackle, next you have a rope to another pickup buoy. The amount of weight you need will depend on the pull of the tide and how sheltered it is so the local guy's will know this from experience and may even help bring the weight out for you if you can't do it at low tide.

Hope this helps a bit best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gaerjunkie

Thanks Fergal

Do you know how much it costs to moor a boat at renville in oranmore or can you recommend a good place close ish to the city.
    Kind of new to boating have sailed dingys when i was young but nothing for a while. My aunt has a boat which she doesnt use anymore and said i could use it for the summer so i'm just trying to put a plan together.

Thanks again for any advice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

In truth it should be free, I don't know much about Oranmore but I know in Skerries if you just come down and dropped a mooring the guy's in the local sailing club would not be very happy with you :eek: so best to join up the plus of this is now the guy's/girls might keep an eye on your boat for you.
    Like a lot of places now skerries is full and the only place to get a mooring is out of the protection of the harbour "not a good idea" so the only way to get one is if it's passed on to you.
    Is there any way you can trailer the boat or put it a marina .

• Registered Users Posts: 46 orion50

gaerjunkie wrote: »
    Hey everyone

Can anyone give me advice on mooring a boat in Galway.
    I mean how do you actually put the mooring in place, what weight of mooring relative to the boat, whats the best type of mooring.
    can i put a mooring anywhere. What regulations are there.
    The boat in question is a 22foot sailing boat and i live in Galway city.

Thanks to anyone who has advice.
    what does she draw and what kind of keel has she? if she is shallow draft and she can dry out ok you have lots of options

Thanks for your replies.

The boat is a twin keel and has a trailer but i would like to moor it for convenience.
    Its a newbridge ventura type boat.
    Really i am a pure amatuer and i have no experience with launching the boat from a trailer i have only seen it being pulled out of the water by a crane.

• Advertisement

Orion 50

Thanks for the interest, im not sure about the draft on her excuse my ignorance, is that how far into the water the boat sits? or how far out of it?

Orion 50

I'm affraid i dont know the answers to any of your questions:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

A bildge keeler of over 1200kg, draft of over 2ft.
    VenP5.jpg

It won't be easy to haul out on a trailer so it's best to moor her and only haul at the end of the season.

Thanks pigeon

Orion 50

Thanks for the interest, im not sure about the draft on her excuse my ignorance, is that how far into the water the boat sits? or how far out of it?

How far she sits in - at 2 foot and with bilge keels you can moor anywhere ideal boat for Galway Bay! Call into Purcell Marine in Clarinbridge and he will organise all tackle for you and assist with the concrete block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Alternatively, drop/contact in the Galway Bay Sailing Club. I am sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
    www.gbsc.ie

Hope this helps.
    Valerie

Thanks orion

So you think a dead weight will do the job, how much weight do you think i need?

Thanks valerie.

You will still need the chains they act as a shock absorber against the sudden pull of the waves. If your mooring ends up where you cant get at it at low tide to keep check of it it would be worth your while getting stainless steal or galavanised chain and shackles not cheep:eek: but worth it in the end.:)
    Weight if using concrete will be about.

300 lbs for a 14-16 foot boat

500 lbs for a 17-20 foot boat

1000 lbs for a 21-24 foot boat

2000 lbs for a 25-27 " "

Thanks orion

So you think a dead weight will do the job, how much weight do you think i need?

Where are you planning to put her and how exposed is it? It is a combination of weight, length of mooring warp ( cabin & Rope) and swing room with tide going in and out. Have you ever anchored this boat?

Advertisement