Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 dara.obriain

would really appreciate it if anyone could recommend a surveyor and how much, the house is in North County Dublin and am in the middle of the process- any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

flintash wrote: »
    Probably on the South side so ;)
    Obviously you asking for discount. Or will you surprise us saying going over the asking price. :confused:

Actually no it's not the southside;) - Jesus what is wrong with me - this is the third time I've edited this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

would really appreciate it if anyone could recommend a surveyor and how much, the house is in North County Dublin and am in the middle of the process- any help appreciated.

I'd recommend Sean Oragano. He's based in Malahide: http://www.surv.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I'd recommend Sean Oragano. He's based in Malahide: http://www.surv.ie/

Used him ourselves and would also recommend him in a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭orlaanne

Well we are exchanged and the closing date is set for just over 3 weeks from now. Emailed my landlord to give them the bad/good news and have a replacement tenant lined up now too. I think I deserve a drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Kristinew

thats great news orlaanne :D, you'll be in and settled in plenty of time for xmas.
    I had a slight delay with my mortgage application due to the ordnace map from the valuer but i got it corrected and a new map posted to the bank yesterday. Fingers crossed there will be no further delays!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

ABL Surveryors, efficent quick and gave a very detailed report

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Not signing tomorrow- their sol hasn't got redemption figures yet :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cheque issued and still no sodding probate. Vendor solicitor is 'confident' it'll grant tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 dara.obriain

thanks for the replies, will check both of those out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Get our keys on Tuesday. Never wanted a bank holiday weekend to go by so quick in all my life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hi folks,

All nearly ready to go with a house. Got life insurance, loan approved and valuer done. Then I got our own structural survey done...

Looks to be some problems with the attic conversion and a couple of alterations to the house. Surveyor recommends we request certs of compliance along with a few other things. He said it's not how he would do a conversion but it might be okay.

The brickwork on the front of the house has been repaired below the first floor window, he said this is down to the steel girders that hold the brickwork to the solid structure rusting and causing the facade to crack. House was prolly built in the mid seventies.

Not sure what to do now. I've asked the surveyor for a rough estimate on costs to bring the house up to scratch and have forwarded the report to our solicitor.

Anxious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GaaMad23

Hi All, Just wondering if you apply for mortgage wit boi and you recieve a letter of offer,can you reapply for a small amount more??Also what would be the chances of getting it and how long would it take bank to get back to you? (i.e if the house is more than you had expected 10,000 more, also everything would be in this house which would not have been in the house for 10,000 less??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Had the structural survey done of the house, no major issues. So offer went in yesterday morning and now begins the impatient wait!

Just under 3 weeks until we get the keys, called over to the house on Saturday to measure the front room to go out and buy a suite and the vendors told us someone else (it's happened before with people we were in a bidding war with) doorstepped them and offered them more than us because they were desperate to get in before the MIR deadline even though there is a Sale Agreed sign in the garden! I can't believe the gall of some people! Thankfully our vendors are very nice people and told them no, everything is signed now so I'm not worried about it happening again but the rest of you should watch out for these type of shenanigans from other buyers!

Fcuking ulster bank!!!!
    Still no redemption figures!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FixYa

Hi all.
    I am in Limerick and have been renting for 7 years.
    Now finally have funds to afford a modest house in a nice Raheen estate.
    House was built in late 80s and we did not have building regulations back then.

There are couple of things that needs to be done in the hose:
    Windows need to be replaced
    Central heating needs to be installed
    And it needs to be renovated as well. (it had been rented for at least 10 years)

I am also curious if there is still a chance to get MIR as a first time buyer or it is a bit too late ?

Another concern - is it really that good time to buy this year? Prices are lower than during the boom but this MIR cut down seems to be causing another mini-boom and price rise?

This is the second house that I was bidding. Previous house that I was looking into had another buyer , who was offering better price. As a result that house was gone for the price that was higher than asking price.

With this house - the same story. There was another buyer who was placing a higher bid and now I am buying house for price that is higher than asking price.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

FixYa wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I am in Limerick and have been renting for 7 years.
    Now finally have funds to afford a modest house in a nice Raheen estate.
    House was built in late 80s and we did not have building regulations back then.

There are couple of things that needs to be done in the hose:
    Windows need to be replaced
    Central heating needs to be installed
    And it needs to be renovated as well. (it had been rented for at least 10 years)

I am also curious if there is still a chance to get MIR as a first time buyer or it is a bit too late ?

Another concern - is it really that good time to buy this year? Prices are lower than during the boom but this MIR cut down seems to be causing another mini-boom and price rise?

This is the second house that I was bidding. Previous house that I was looking into had another buyer , who was offering better price. As a result that house was gone for the price that was higher than asking price.

With this house - the same story. There was another buyer who was placing a higher bid and now I am buying house for price that is higher than asking price.

What do you think?

I think your concerns are legitimate. I believe mir is flushing out the few that qualify for a mortage. This is causing bidding wars driving up prices. I also was looking n raheen, and had my eye on a nama sale. Nama have increased the asking price by 25%. That was enough for me to pull out.

The hunt is over till this time next year, by then, much of the competition will be gone having been suckered in by the mir.

By that time the property tax and guidance for future austerity budgets will be known and my offers can be negotiated downwards to minimise its impact.

Subsidys for buyers are always hovered up by higher prices. It is the main reason this country is bankrupt

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

efb wrote: »
    Fcuking ulster bank!!!!
    Still no redemption figures!!!

Mortgage department quite busy at this time- so I was told :)
    I went to Ulster since BOI struggled to give me mortgage for 100k, and surprise surprise- Ulster wrote 200k in principal. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    went on my shopping spree !! :D
    Still waiting for New Year bells ringing- hopefully the market will crash and nobody snap the shack I have an eye on :D

In my house tonight - thanks to my sol!

Loving it!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Got our keys yesterday afternoon. Signed, sealed and delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

In my house tonight - thanks to my sol!

Loving it!!!!

Congrats on getting your keys. I finally signed contracts 10 days ago now waiting for the vendor to sign and pay off the remaining balance of his mortgage for the property... its been a very long wait- house went sale agreed on the 16th April.
    So looking forward to the day i turn my key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

So much to-ing and fro-ing in this house buying business. Nearly have all documents with the banks. They sent out our loan offer based on a price 5k more than what we paid for some reason so they have to re issue that which means we'll have less to spend than we thought Grrr! Also solicitor told us the house is with the registry of deeds and needs to be changed over to the land registry. At the moment it costs 85 euro. From Decemer 1st on, it costs 500 euro! Nothing can be done until the house is ours so it's a race against time!!

First night in my gaff last night! Bliss! Bit hungover now!

Thanks a mill guys best thread ever!!!

Well done efb, very jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

First night in my gaff last night! Bliss! Bit hungover now!

Thanks a mill guys best thread ever!!!

Congrats & best luck in your new home!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Probate granted. This now sets a closing date for next Wednesday. Getting closer

Good luck to all those still in the hunt. Bid accepted July 31. Moved in Oct 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FixYa

So it took you 3 months to complete?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

So just got notice today that the vendor has signed the contracts today and his money is in the bank for the mortgage- my solictor will have completed contracts tomorrow on his desk, all insurance + protection in place & drawdown the mortgage last friday so when would be a realistic time to expect my keys I am so excited now

Advertisement