Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Scotland -Aviva Stadium - Saturday 10th March 5pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭cityman 18

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Forgot about him although I was annoyed with that ha! John kelly was another one I was annoyed to miss, as well as two of my own clubmen Mike McCarthy and John Muldoon! I will admit that there is three names on the list that I never heard of- Peter McKenna, Paul Shields and David Quinlan. Interestingly I remember the Ireland England match in 2000 very well (first of 6 nations)-despite the fact that I was only 8 at the time- and would I be correct in saying that a few players never played for Ireland again after that game (disaster)?

Wasn't McKenna a scrum half? (could be wrong) played around the 1999, 2000 time. Don't remember Paul Shields at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Forgot about him although I was annoyed with that ha! John kelly was another one I was annoyed to miss, as well as two of my own clubmen Mike McCarthy and John Muldoon! I will admit that there is three names on the list that I never heard of- Peter McKenna, Paul Shields and David Quinlan. Interestingly I remember the Ireland England match in 2000 very well (first of 6 nations)-despite the fact that I was only 8 at the time- and would I be correct in saying that a few players never played for Ireland again after that game (disaster)?

Well I forgot a load of obvious ones too- Mushy Buckley, Healy, Cronin, Elwood...And Shane Byrne, Jackman and Reggie Corrigan.

I don't remember McKenna or Shields at all, but I vaguely remember Quinlan. i think there was 1 or 2 others I hadn't heard of too.
    Got 71, but never even heard of Shields, Topping or Tierney.

Also couldn't spell O'Cuinneagain :o

When I was young, I used to really like Topping for some inexplicable reason. And Tom Tierney- legend! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Got 71, but never even heard of Shields, Topping or Tierney.

Also couldn't spell O'Cuinneagain :o

I think Tom Tierney was one that never saw much action after that first six nations game in 2000. Played in all RWC 99 games iirc. Johnny Bell was one I had in mind whilst typing another name in and then I forgot it:D

For an added challenge (and this is how I did it) try and type in first names as well as typing in surname (for example just typing "Wallace" will automatically make the three Wallaces come up). Admittedly I forgot Paddy Wallace and didn't know that David Quinlan lad as well as spelling Emmett Byrne with two 't's. Just makes it better, I'dve got mid 90's otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

cityman 18 wrote: »
    Wasn't McKenna a scrum half? (could be wrong) played around the 1999, 2000 time. Don't remember Paul Shields at all.

Gee I don't remember him it was only recently I was trying to recall the 99 RWC squad and don't remember him in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭cityman 18

Gee I don't remember him it was only recently I was trying to recall the 99 RWC squad and don't remember him in it.

Maybe I'm confusing him with the hypnosis guy actually !!! :D. It was all an illusion of the mind !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Superbus wrote: »
    Mandatory completion of this to allow posting.

Mike Ross isn't there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I got minus 4 :confused:

Any way I'm really looking forward to the match. I think Scotland, playing like they did against France, and our 6 day turn around after what must have been an emotionally and physically draining match against the French, and an anti-climax, as well as some of our injuries may bode well for the Scots. The way they played against the French was some of the(ir) best rugby of the 6 N.

I do think though the intensity that POM may bring, with his youthful exuberance, and Ferris if he keeps up that attitude from last week, and Reddan's quick ball, will be vital.

We shade them everywhere but the backrow. But I'm still reasonably confident. The French were poor enough against them and their only threat is Hogg, the lineout and their backrow which while not individually superior to ours has been consistently dynamic.

And good luck to POM, his attitude is refreshing. The intensity he brings reminds me of Roy Keane, you could place a herd of Bison, the Cliffs of Moher and the second level of the Special Area of Super Mario World in front of him and he'd have to be restrained as he'd still be rearin' to go.

Would love to see a huge performance from him. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Superbus wrote: »
    Mandatory completion of this to allow posting.

My spelling is brutal of names so bit of a pain!!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

cityman 18 wrote: »

Nah, McKenna was a full back for Leinster, sort of pre-dated the Celtic League so would have played most of his rugby at Ail level. Might have got two caps but no more than that.

Think he wrote a book on explaining the rules of rugby for people new to the game actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

The big worry here is that we have a captain who is simply not having a good six nations.

While he has been good at the breakdown and scrum, he has her poor at a hookers main job, throwing.

Matt Williams listed the overthrows by Best that occurre at crucial times in games and it was simply staggering how many times he messed up.

The overthrow in the world cup against wales and six nations led directly to a try. The over throw against france last week. I mean I could go on and on.

This is not what you what for your captain. Our line out is the worst statistically in the six nations.

If a captain is to lead by example , especially at crucial times , how can Best do that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

When Nothampton got promoted a few seasons back Paul Shields started the first couple of games at hooker ahead of Hartley.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭JRant

NickDrake wrote: »
    The big worry here is that we have a captain who is simply not having a good six nations.

While he has been good at the breakdown and scrum, he has her poor at a hookers main job, throwing.

Matt Williams listed the overthrows by Best that occurre at crucial times in games and it was simply staggering how many times he messed up.

The overthrow in the world cup against wales and six nations led directly to a try. The over throw against france last week. I mean I could go on and on.

This is not what you what for your captain. Our line out is the worst statistically in the six nations.

If a captain is to lead by example , especially at crucial times , how can Best do that?

Think your being a little harsh on Rory tbh. He was a standout performer in the WC and will make a fine captain.
    He is a little flaky on the clutch throws but the blame doesn't always lie with him. Some of the calls have to be questioned, when you know his throw is under pressure we should have simplfied the calls.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Have a bad feeling about todays match. 6 day turnaround, missing key playes (well-missing O'Connell) and a Scots team with memories of beating us two years ago. Can see them winning 15-13

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cork exile in london

Have awful feeling we going get mashed in scrum and line out. if they can leave out murray they must be feeling confident. scotland are nearly 4 to 1 at bookies which is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Have awful feeling we going get mashed in scrum and line out. if they can leave out murray they must be feeling confident. scotland are nearly 4 to 1 at bookies which is ridiculous.

Murray is injuryed and not available, as mentioned before I need to leave thread to crap and see you all again

Big Nelly wrote: »

Murray is injuryed and not available, as mentioned before I need to leave thread to crap and see you all again

Ummm I think he means Euan Murray who is on the bench today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Ummm I think he means Euan Murray who is on the bench today.

Which makes it even more ridiculous that said poster seems to think they're too good for the thread.

The weather should be perfect for good rugby today, so there'll be no excuses. We need to start making the offloads stick. I reckon it's going to be a quite open game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

JRant wrote: »
    The weather should be perfect for good rugby today, so there'll be no excuses. We need to start making the offloads stick. I reckon it's going to be a quite open game.

Have just been at pitch. There's a swirler blowing in through Northwest tunnel and North end. Temps mild and pitch looking great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Ireland will get killed at the lineout.Scotland have won 33/33 on their own throw and Ireland have the worst[no stats].Its going to be very close as I believe we cannot put two games of high quality together under this management.Scotland with 9pts at 11/10 is hugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

sting60 wrote: »
    Ireland will get killed at the lineout.Scotland have won 33/33 on their own throw and Ireland have the worst[no stats].Its going to be very close as I believe we cannot put two games of high quality together under this management.Scotland with 9pts at 11/10 is hugh.

Maybe we'll consider keeping the ball in hand and not put the ball to touch. We're comfortably the better side with the ball and have our dander up after the last couple of games. 10 points is a fair enough spread. I fancy us to cover it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

GerM wrote: »
    Maybe we'll consider keeping the ball in hand and not put the ball to touch. We're comfortably the better side with the ball and have our dander up after the last couple of games. 10 points is a fair enough spread. I fancy us to cover it.

So do I, as much as the Scots have improved they're still far from the finished article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

GerM wrote: »

I think Scotland have looked the best side of the championship so far as regards keeping hold of the ball, they've made the most line breaks too despite playing strong defences in Wales, England and France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

shuffol wrote: »
    I think Scotland have looked the best side of the championship so far as regards keeping hold of the ball, they've made the most line breaks too despite playing strong defences in Wales, England and France.

England and France are very suspect defensively, don't think we'll afford them the same space if we defend like last week

danthefan wrote: »
    Which makes it even more ridiculous that said poster seems to think they're too good for the thread.

Well what he actually said was he needed "to leave the thread to crap" so maybe he's just been in the jacks for the last hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

or lineouts have being rubbish this year i dont no if its best or what the hell is going on,if we mess up our lineouts like we did in the last few games then i see scotland getting a lot of the ball.

in saying that i still think we are two strong for them and we will beat them.
    hopefully the french game last week woul'nt have taking to much out of them.

JustinDee wrote: »

Have just been at pitch. There's a swirler blowing in through Northwest tunnel and North end. Temps mild and pitch looking great.

Great day for ground hurling as they say! Cheers for that, it always seems to have a swirler blowing in there. Thankfully we have Kearney at FB, what a pair of hands hes got.

Who's gonna take the oppositions restarts with SOB out? Don't think he gets enough credt for this part of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Some very good points[dont keep kicking to touch,no brainer]but will Kidney insist on it ??Scotland keep the ball well but dont score trys,wind swirling ,we are not guaranteed to turn up.Likelihood low scoring game ,Scotland with 9pts is hugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Who's gonna take the oppositions restarts with SOB out? Don't think he gets enough credt for this part of his game.

Heaslip? It is the No.8's job to take them anyway.

Advertisement