Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Scotland -Aviva Stadium - Saturday 10th March 5pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Geno1111 wrote: »
    Scotland to win by between 6 to 10 points in Ladbrokes are 14/1... First time I've ever placed a bet with Ireland to lose but I have an awful feeling that Scotland will win tomorrow.

Shame on you Declan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Scotland to win by between 6 to 10 points in Ladbrokes are 14/1... First time I've ever placed a bet with Ireland to lose but I have an awful feeling that Scotland will win tomorrow.

I think you might be throwing your money away there. I don't see us losing, but if Wales can only win by 2 and France can't win at all, and Italy get thumped, I don't see how Scotland would beat us by almost a score or more in our own back yard. IF we did lose, it wouldn't be by more than a couple of points, but as I said, I can't see that happening. You'd be better off taking a handicap bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

marco_polo wrote: »
    I am guessing those couple of games weren't the two HEC pool games where he went home with the MOTM awards tucked safely away under his belt.

He is only 22, in his first full season and despite only 15 odd professional starts under his belt has already captained his Province on a few occasions. Sounds like all hype and no substance alright.

I have no confidence in man of the match awards. How many professional starts had Murray before he went to the world cup? Not all hype and no substance but certainly an even split and has yet to live up to the hype.

I don't blame the player. The fans unrealistic expectations must put huge pressure on him. Its a little like the English football team - player is world class before he even plays.

However, i will be happy to have my initial view proven wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

MLC61 wrote: »
    I have no confidence in man of the match awards. How many professional starts had Murray before he went to the world cup? Not all hype and no substance but certainly an even split and has yet to live up to the hype.

I don't blame the player. The fans unrealistic expectations must put huge pressure on him. Its a little like the English football team - player is world class before he even plays.

However, i will be happy to have my initial view proven wrong.

Sure the best player may not always get the MOTM, but they are certainly a reliable indicator that he has played very well and is most comfortable at HEC level.

Not sure exactly what else you would you want a young player to do before giving him a shot at international level. What would you suggest in the absence of SOB?, sticking one of the old, 'tried, tested and not up to scratch' alternatives like Jennings or Leamy starting instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I think the only positive from the injuries to O'Connell and O'Brien is that Kidney has to try new players. This is a great opportunity for O'Mahony, who I have not seen a lot of. We are going to be weak in the lineout against the Scots so keeping the ball in play will be vital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Geno1111

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I think you might be throwing your money away there. I don't see us losing, but if Wales can only win by 2 and France can't win at all, and Italy get thumped, I don't see how Scotland would beat us by almost a score or more in our own back yard. IF we did lose, it wouldn't be by more than a couple of points, but as I said, I can't see that happening. You'd be better off taking a handicap bet.

If I'm wrong I'll be happy to see Ireland win, if I'm right it pays towards my car getting fixed earlier this week..
    Que sera sera..

marco_polo wrote: »
    Sure the best player may not always get the MOTM, but they are certainly a reliable indicator that he has played very well and is most comfortable at HEC level.

Not sure exactly what else you would you want a young player to do before giving him a shot at international level. What would you suggest in the absence of SOB?, sticking one of the old, 'tried, tested and not up to scratch' alternatives like Jennings or Leamy starting instead?

You are missing my point.

I have no issue with his selection following O'Brien's injury.
    What I have an issue with is that prior to O'Brien's injury, the incessant clamour to have him selected ahead of the existing backrow, all of whom have played well.
    I also have an issue with the tripe trotted out of poor balance in the backrow that will only be sorted by the ascendancy of another number 6 (albeit one with limited experience).
    And lastly, the trumpeting of him as a future Irish captain and Lions tourist before he has played a match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

All those players would start for Connacht, have to disagree there. :D

Eh, you can keep TOL, thanks anyway! ;)

And I'd have JOC over Jennings any day...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

What I have an issue with is that prior to O'Brien's injury, the incessant clamour to have him selected ahead of the existing backrow, all of whom have played well.
    I also have an issue with the tripe trotted out of poor balance in the backrow that will only be sorted by the ascendancy of another number 6 (albeit one with limited experience).
    And lastly, the trumpeting of him as a future Irish captain and Lions tourist before he has played a match.

+1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Fair enough I see wheer you are coming from now. I never subscribed to the view that he would have changed the balance of the backrow, however I would have liked to have seen him rotated in for a game or two regardless of injuries or how well the other three were playing. Wishful thinking in a DK world I suppose.

Agree on that score.

That said I don't know how you could have watched him play for Munster this season and not understand at least what some of the fuss is about, as he has played very impressively for the most part.

• Advertisement

The games I watched, the Munster pack played very well with Ryan and O'Connell to the fore. I subscribe fully to the view that Ryan should be starting instead of O'Callaghan.
    The back row were good. However the two other players, Coughlan and Ronan were as good as O'Mahoney. I am not saying he played badly, he played as well as the remainder of the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm really tempted by those odds I have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭phog

Was there more than one poster that posted that and even then it was probably in jest.

I was one in favour of dropping one of the backrow but it was more around adding a bit of freshness than saying any of them deserved to be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Almost match day so it's time to log off boards for a couple of days. The match thread went completely nuts last weekend so I'll log off until the fair-weather fans clear off and saner voices prevail next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I'm tempted to do the same. Is there no way to avoid it happening? I don't want to sound precious, but it was a little ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Tox56 wrote: »
    Is there no way to avoid it happening?

Mandatory completion of this to allow posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Superbus wrote: »

Interesting :D

Sad thing is I bet I'd only get about 60%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Interesting :D

Sad thing is I bet I'd only get about 60%
    The provincial ones are harder. il post up links if i find them
    http://www.sporcle.com/games/123ucg/munster-rugby-players-2000-2011
    http://www.sporcle.com/games/123ucg/leinster-rugby-players-2000-2011

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

ambid wrote: »
    Almost match day so it's time to log off boards for a couple of days. The match thread went completely nuts last weekend so I'll log off until the fair-weather fans clear off and saner voices prevail next week.

I'll post up a few player reviews for tomorrow's game to save the fair weather fans the bother....

Heaslip 3/10...didn't smash anyone in a 45 metre lung bursting run. Lazy and needs to stay out of the papers. Should be dropped to give him a kick up the arse.

D'Arcy 2/10...didn't make any yards...needs to be dropped

Earls 3/10...isn't a centre...should be dropped

Healy 3/10...isn't a great prop

Sexton 1/10...missed a penalty from 75 metres. Refused to go for drop goal when we won a 5 metre scrum on our on line. Needs to be replaced by ROG

That should help a few posters with their posts come tomorrow evening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Superbus wrote: »

69/117

That good enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

decisions wrote: »
    69/117

That good enough?

102 :cool:

Missed out on recent ones as well - McLaughlin, Toner, Cronin, Muldoon, Ruddock

Flincher wrote: »
    102 :cool:

Missed out on recent ones as well - McLaughlin, Toner, Cronin, Muldoon, Ruddock

I forgot Healy :o Got 92. Missing around 14 I'd consider easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I forgot Healy :o Got 92. Missing around 14 I'd consider easy.

Spent about a minute trying to remember who from the 99 RWC Squad got capped in 2000, instead of thinking of who was capped recently.

Gonna have a go at the provincial ones linked above. I suspect I might do slightly better on the Munster one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

decisions wrote: »
    69/117

That good enough?

I got 70, so I hope so.

Forgot O Connel, and by forgot I mean I think I just typed in his name wrong or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

errlloyd wrote: »
    I got 70, so I hope so.

Forgot O Connel, and by forgot I mean I think I just typed in his name wrong or something.

Yes. I think you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

Im immensely locked but I still managed 67. the old spelling let me down. and forgot keith earls.whoops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Ha, that's brilliant got 89 and left out Sexton :o proudest moment doing it was successfully spelling o'cuinneagain in the first attempt :D

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Ha, that's brilliant got 89 and left out Sexton :o proudest moment doing it was successfully spelling o'cuinneagain in the first attempt :D

Took me 3 goes :D

I spent ages trying to remember James Topping, in the end I gave up. I could picture him but I couldn't remember his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Took me 3 goes :D

I spent ages trying to remember James Topping, in the end I gave up. I could picture him but I couldn't remember his name.

Forgot about him although I was annoyed with that ha! John kelly was another one I was annoyed to miss, as well as two of my own clubmen Mike McCarthy and John Muldoon! I will admit that there is three names on the list that I never heard of- Peter McKenna, Paul Shields and David Quinlan. Interestingly I remember the Ireland England match in 2000 very well (first of 6 nations)-despite the fact that I was only 8 at the time- and would I be correct in saying that a few players never played for Ireland again after that game (disaster)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Got 71, but never even heard of Shields, Topping or Tierney.

Also couldn't spell O'Cuinneagain :o

Advertisement