Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Friendlies Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Raoul wrote: »
    Thought you weren't going to play Madden 13? Or was that a heat of the moment outburst?

I don't know if I'm buying it. I've been swinging between buying it and not. I don't know. I only played this game because the NFL season was done so I'll see if I still want to play when the NFL season starts. Knowing myself I'll probably end up buying it. If anything yesterday's game swung me towards buying it because I have unfinished business, and I was getting bored of crushing teams offensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

matthew8 wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm buying it. I've been swinging between buying it and not. I don't know. I only played this game because the NFL season was done so I'll see if I still want to play when the NFL season starts. Knowing myself I'll probably end up buying it.

I think you should. Its good craic on here. Plus you can't watch the NFL 24/7 (well you can but you know what I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

If anything yesterday's game swung me towards buying it because I have unfinished business, and I was getting bored of crushing teams offensively.

Crushing CPU teams does not count. When you start crushing human teams you might be entitled to get bored.......only nobody I know is capable of that. Play games against better players - best way to improve.

Get the game Matthew and more importantly get involved in chatting during the games. As Raoul says the craic is really good, mostly because of the banter that goes on during the games. When you get to chat to guys you discover some very interesting things about the game, different strategies etc and that improves you as a player. Some of the guys have incredible knowledge and are willing to share what they have learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Berty44 wrote: »
    Get the game Matthew and more importantly get involved in chatting during the games. As Raoul says the craic is really good, mostly because of the banter that goes on during the games. When you get to chat to guys you discover some very interesting things about the game, different strategies etc and that improves you as a player. Some of the guys have incredible knowledge and are willing to share what they have learned.

Would definitely second this. Chatting to Berty and Dave definitely gave me a few thoughts to takeaway from the game.
    Always good chatting to your opponent. As good as the banter is in the forum, much better craic chatting to someone during the game. Just feels like you're playing the CPU if there's no chatter.
    Would encourage anyone who doesn't have a mic to get one for M13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Would definitely second this. Chatting to Berty and Dave definitely gave me a few thoughts to takeaway from the game.
    Always good chatting to your opponent. As good as the banter is in the forum, much better craic chatting to someone during the game. Just feels like you're playing the CPU if there's no chatter.
    Would encourage anyone who doesn't have a mic to get one for M13.

Agree with what rob says over on maddenpfl you have to use the headset for all games I wasn't to keen on it to start with but getting used to it now I much prefer using it so much better when you have someone to talk to when your playing.

• Advertisement

I have chatted in game a few times but I think it sucks. Look at it this way. If it's a close game you want to be focused on the game. If I was losing a game badly (like against the Bills yesterday) the last thing I want to hear is my opponent speaking, no matter what they're saying. And if I'm winning well I imagine my opponent wouldn't be too keen to hear what I have to say. As for tactical discussion, the game isn't the right time for that. There's enough to think about in the game without a conversation, especially because on offense you get only like 15 seconds to adjust your play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

You don't have a meaningful "chat" during the game as such. Most guys are concentrating too much as you say. But what happens is you have a good laugh at things like terrible QB throws, sure picks that are dropped, fumble recoveries, insane tackles, great trucking stuff like that.

Also someone gets a great defensive stop / sack its often discussed....in seconds. By discussed I mean something like - "wow great stop, what D was that?" reply something like "it was a sugar blitz out of 245".

Someone gets a great offensive play and I often ask what play was that. They might just reply "PA Pass out of I-Form Pro". I might reply I used a Cover 2 and it did not defend it very well. So we both learn something from the discussion.

These take seconds AND we are both learning about the game, concentration not disturbed. Thats what its all about.

Usually at the end of the game I will have a longer chat talking about stuff that gave me trouble, maybe even look at some plays together, thats the tactical discussion as such. That is how I have learned over the years, thats why the standard of the league is improving, because guys talk like this.

I played a guy last week, we had a long discussion about a particular defence that caused him trouble during another franchise game. Next night we got on and spent and hour just playing a game working on seeing what this defence was good at. We found some glaring weaknesses but found certain stuff it did well. Next game he played he used it 1st play got a pick 6. No talking and neither of us learn anything.

If the game is close, nobody is going to be talking. You might hear a comment from me something like "you dodged a bullet there" when a DB drops a sure pick, usually followed by both of us laughing!

The moral of the story is.....if you want to improve..........talk.

Berty - well put

Matthew - obviously up to you, but think you're missing out if not chatting

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

If I was losing a game badly (like against the Bills yesterday) the last thing I want to hear is my opponent speaking, no matter what they're saying. And if I'm winning well I imagine my opponent wouldn't be too keen to hear what I have to say. As for tactical discussion, the game isn't the right time for that

I have to disagree with this. Last night my "undefeated" season came crashing down in flames in the first 2 offensive plays that Raoul had. I would have had every right to sit and sulk, but myself and Raoul chatted the whole game.

The score ended up 30-9 and I didn't even feel bad at the end because I had been talking to a nice guy through out who had been cracking jokes about screw ups that happened for both teams.

I have played Dave before once or twice and he has been very helpful and the times you get your arse handed to you is the time you learn most.

My defence has been soild for the whole season and alot of that is down to advice from Dave and Berty. That is enough sucking up now, back to normal business.

You're both cheaters...fix...down with this sort of thing...etc...:D

Anyone else have the game and want a friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Friendly any1?
    Gamertag is the same as boards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No game here either ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

I've had it all week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

On now for a few games if anyone wants one?

Paully D wrote: »
    On now for a few games if anyone wants one?

I'll play,I'm here to learn

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    I'll play,I'm here to learn

What's your Gamer Tag mate? I'm not the best myself so you weren't learn much from me apart from how to throw interceptions :pac:

What's your Gamer Tag mate? I'm not the best myself so you weren't learn much from me apart from how to throw interceptions :pac:

I haven't played a madden in years,barely remember the positions,steep learing curve I think lol
    GT: Perrinv2

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭NekoChan

anyone around for a game later?

I want to try some teams on for size before draft

I'll be on...but if your looking for a competitve match I may not be the best option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭NekoChan

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    I'll be on...but if your looking for a competitve match I may not be the best option

Im no great shakes myself - reason I am drafting 7!

Any game would be great! I find it harder to get a beat on a team against just the CPU

My gamertag Qkitten83 - send me a PM when u about

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm up for a game if anyone is around.

Heading on now for a game or two if anyone's on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Heading on now for a game or two if anyone's on?

XBL : SendMoreCorpses

Should be around tomorrow night (after 10) for a game or two ? I am rubbish .. fyi :)

Any guys who are new to the league and looking for friendlies, check out this forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056607446

Should have most or all of our Gamertags, so add everyone there'll usually be a few on for friendlies.

And SantryRed will be setting up a Community today which is the best place to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Anyone want a game?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Anyone want a game?

Yep, just logging on now mate.

Anyone want a game?

Yep, just logging on now mate.

My connection keeps dropping, sorry about that.

No problem mate.

• Advertisement

No problem mate.

Sorry about that, bloody Vodafone! No point trying again now, I'll play you again some other time.

Advertisement