Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicolas Sarkozy says France has too many foreigners

Options
  • 06-03-2012 11:37pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17280647
    French President Nicolas Sarkozy has said there are too many foreigners in France and the system for integrating them is "working more and more badly".
    In a TV debate, Mr Sarkozy defended his plan to cut the number of new arrivals in half if he is re-elected next month.
    A sure sign that he thinks that he thinks that growth in the future is going to be weak or non-existent!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

is he including the old french colonies of north africa in that? or REAL foreigners?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I'm assuming he means the French themselves are working "more badly"

Any fecking excuse for a strike!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Just election pandering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

This seems to be a trend I remember it was a British election issue as well. When there is a recession imigrants are seen as competition to the lowly and semi skilled. So I would say he is just answering Frances electorates concern.

MS.ing wrote: »
    is he including the old french colonies of north africa in that? or REAL foreigners?
    I suspect that he means all of them, it's the North Africans that have caused the biggest headache in France recently

• Advertisement

Just election pandering.
    Yes, the far right have been making some headway recently, especially in the north near Lille.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

is "working more and more badly" - His English is Terrible.

Hes right France is Full of Foreigners - most of whom are French. I was there last year and I couldn't understand a word they were saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I suspect that he means all of them, it's the North Africans that have caused the biggest headache in France recently

In fairness that's not just isolated to France, it just seems to get more attention in the media both nationally and worldwide!

RachaelVO wrote: »
    In fairness that's not just isolated to France, it just seems to get more attention in the media both nationally and worldwide!
    I agree,it's more of an economic issue, lack of growth means that there is no reason to "welcome" foreigners to do the shit jobs any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Damn right. All those Frenchies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

A sure sign that he thinks that he thinks that growth in the future is going to be weak or non-existent!

so has ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Would that be the same Nicholas Sarkozy with Hungarian parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

France seems to have got all the ****e immigrants, we're lucky, we seem to have got all the great immigrants who just narrowly missed being Ms Poland and have 6 degrees each, yet fit 18 hours works into a 8 hour day and are the nicest people you'd ever meet.

On the rare 4 hour break they take on a Sunday morning, they also heal the sick and raise the dead.

Unlike those lazy bastard Irish, I've never met one who has raised anyone from the grave, even when we had full employment.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Would that be the same Nicholas Sarkozy with Hungarian parents?

His Father is Hungarian but I'm fairly sure his Mother is Lacertilian.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

His Father is Hungarian but I'm fairly sure his Mother is Lacertilian.

Learnt a new word.

Learnt a new word.

Mee too. :)

I had to look up a the word for 'lizard like'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭inagoodway

he looks like mr bean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Oddjob wrote: »
    Unlike those lazy bastard Irish, I've never met one who has raised anyone from the grave, even when we had full employment.

Nah, they'd just have cemented over it, then built on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What a little racist prick of a man.

I'm sure Hitler said the exact same thing about Germany in the run up to the war.

That stupid man has put his foot in it once too often.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I don't know Lloyd the French are assholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I think he's trying to show a strong front and appeal to other right wing voters in the wake of the rising popularity of Le Pen's more extreme views in the upcoming Presidential elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Oddjob wrote: »
    Unlike those lazy bastard Irish, I've never met one who has raised anyone from the grave
    No, tried that once. Don't recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

I'm sure Hitler said the exact same thing about Germany in the run up to the war.

What? I'm sure Hitler probably forgot to pay his phone bill in the run up to the war, he was fairly busy, but what's your point?

In fairness immigration isn't necessarily a racist issue. It often has racist undertones but people do have legitimate concerns about pressure on services and increases competition for low skilled jobs.

The free market for the proletariat and and not so much for other more protected professions and all that jazz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Wasn't Hitler trying to annex regions and bring in more citizens to a greater Germany

And for your first point, unemployment is high and citizens are concerned. So politicians follow the trend

This post explains it:
    44leto wrote: »
    When there is a recession imigrants are seen as competition to the lowly and semi skilled. So I would say he is just answering Frances electorates concern.

And it's true, immigrants provide competition for the unemployed.
    Hotels, shops, areas like that have wages driven down by immigration. You might get minimum wage, hard to get a good salary out of it

Some areas like highly skilled jobs have a lot more protection and less danger of you getting worse conditions

So anyway, where is the racist part? This is an economic issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

In fairness immigration isn't necessarily a racist issue. It often has racist undertones but people do have legitimate concerns about pressure on services and increases competition for low skilled jobs.

The free market for the proletariat and and not so much for other more protected professions and all that jazz.
    It would have been the Likes of Sarkozy himself (Little EU man) that would have been promoting the free movement of people across the EU, now he has the cheek to give out about it.

It wasn't long ago when posters were placed on trains across France warning people of Romanians.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8534030.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Really? You reckon they made all those economic decisions that has caused so many problems in France? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

It wasn't long ago when posters were placed on trains across France warning people of Romanians.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8534030.stm

Hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

This is very interesting to me. I was in Paris and the weekend. First thing that struck me was the amount of Muslims. I thought I was in Algeria or Saudi Arabia or somewhere. Not that thats a bad thing.

Advertisement