Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon / Duathlon / Messing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dpop stay away from tri athlone if u want to avoid fun runners. god help if your over 30 in one of the later waves...6 abreast along the road they jog. one of my clubmates summed it up perfectly one year. he said it was like the womens mini marathon of triathlon. :)

You posted this just after I entered. Do yee not tell them to get out of the f*cking way? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

You posted this just after I entered. Do yee not tell them to get out of the f*cking way? :confused:

Vitruvian, Joey Hannan, Tri-Athlone, Beast of the East. How many others have you entered? And how many must one do before they accept that they are indeed a triathlete?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Enduro wrote: »
    Yup, I have to respond to this one alright! Well pre-empted!

I both strongly agree and disagree with the quotes above, depending on how they're interpreted.

As nerraw1111 says, a large majority of the races that are labeled as "adventure races" in Ireland are nothing of the kind. It's a more extreme mis-naming than calling a sprint triathlon an ironman, as they don't even have the right sports to be considered a true AR, even before distances etc are considered.

The races which are being referred to are I presume are the likes of Gael Force (the originator of the trend), the Roars, the races who's name cannot be mentioned, etc etc are just short runs up and down a hill or two, a road cycle or two, and a pathetically short or non-existant kayak, often on s(h)it-on-top kayaks (why not give everyone Dublin bikes for the cycle legs while you're at it :rolleyes:). They are most definitely much closer to being off road duathlons than to being adventure races. In reality they're a step or two below that, since the cycling is on-road. The only other country that has these mongrel races that I know of is New Zealand. Over there they are called multi-sports races, which distinguishes them from triathlons on one side, and adventure races on the other.

An adventure race is usually done in mixed teams of 4, will generally have a minimum of hill-running/trekking, mountain biking, and kayaking/canoeing (proper big stages), and most importantly a massive underlying emphasis on self navigation and self reliance. That's probably the biggest thing that the multi-sport races are missing. Adventure Race durations can range from short sprint events of half a day or so duration, to multi-day expedition races. I did 3 expeditions last year, and their maximum allowed durations were 4 days, 6 days, and 9 days. And believe me, no-one is doing these because they can't swim! (But having said that, I'll happily admit to being a crap swimmer!). The multi-sports races are much closer to being triathlons than to being true ARs. Perhaps they are just an opportunity for non-simmers (and non-team players and non-navigators) to do a triple sport event.

There are several adventure races in Ireland, such as the CCAR race, the Beast of Ballyhoura, the Raid etc. They tend to get less discussion in here though. Pity, as they are far far far better events, and much more enjoyable.

Soometimes we even get people coming over from triathalon to give AR a go... I had a good conversation on a beach on a small island in the arabian gulf with this lad (we were overnight camping between kayak stages, and we offered his team our surplus food). As it happens his team didn't make it to the finish of that particular race, between crashes on mountain bikes and finding the kayaking to be pretty hard going. It was good to race against them though.

So basically my assessment of the board as Triathlon/Duathlon/Messing would be something you'd agree with in the context of Gael Force, ROAR, Voldemort races being Adventure Racing? Cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

incidentally, the forum you are all too cool for that kicked you out that no-one reads any more has a poll on how many people take part in different events. I asked because of this thread - I was wondering how many 'messers' there were, and what the overlap was between them and tri/dua...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

RayCun wrote: »
    incidentally, the forum you are all too cool for that kicked you out that no-one reads any more has a poll on how many people take part in different events. I asked because of this thread - I was wondering how many 'messers' there were, and what the overlap was between them and tri/dua...

Can we get a copy of the poll on this board please? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Dpop stay away from tri athlone if u want to avoid fun runners. god help if your over 30 in one of the later waves...6 abreast along the road they jog. one of my clubmates summed it up perfectly one year. he said it was like the womens mini marathon of triathlon. :)

Key is finding a nice way to say. .MOVE!

Can we get a copy of the poll on this board please?

Slightly different version perhaps

Why did you take up triathlon anyway?
    • I was too slow at running/swimming/cycling
    • Tri-suit more slimming than a singlet and shorts
    • I just like spending money

:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Vitruvian, Joey Hannan, Tri-Athlone, Beast of the East. How many others have you entered? And how many must one do before they accept that they are indeed a triathlete?

I didn't enter Joey :p

I did enter Athy. Slippery slope. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

If I come in to this board and repeatedly see the first page full of triathlon posts after a while I'll get the message.
    So if you want this board to be for triathletes keep posting new threads all about triathlons.
    simple?

Enduro has the misfortune to be an adventure racer live in one of the very few countries that calls multisport racing Adventure Racing, eventually he'll come to terms with that too.

A month before Gaelforce is the time to be extra vigilant with the flooding of the front page with triathlon related threads by the way;)

With three disiplines, nine sessions and countless ways to spend money it has to be feasible to keep talking triathlon only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

More important than anything mentioned above, if you need a dj for your triathlon where do you look............cough............cough...........cough:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

More important than anything mentioned above, if you need a dj for your triathlon where do you look............cough............cough...........cough:D

in the Golden Pages??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

in the Golden Pages??

Need a DJ? That'll require some research. I'll be in coppers if anyones looking!

in the Golden Pages??

Yeah its a good place to find shops that do running gear as well;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I guess that some people must like them, but there's nothing I hate more than loud music blasting at a finish area, drowning out any conversation between finishers. Is the idea that they want runners not to congregate, and so move off quickly out of earshot?

I guess that some people must like them, but there's nothing I hate more than loud music blasting at a finish area, drowning out any conversation between finishers. Is the idea that they want runners not to congregate, and so move off quickly out of earshot?

What a stereotype.

A lot of my work is MC to announce things during the day and to congratulate people as they cross the line. Its good with smaller ones as its good for people doing their 1st tri for family members to give them a mention etc.

Before the race its important for the correct information to be given out ( many times ) and to make sure all are ready for the start and that equipment is cleared away.

Also music during the race can create some atmosphere for people standing around waiting for those involved.

But i do see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Also music during the race can create some atmosphere for people standing around waiting for those involved.

And destroy it for those taking part as they finish. I would strongly agree with DNHOP. Stereoptypes are often stereotypes precisely because it applies to vast numbers of people.

tunney wrote: »
    So basically my assessment of the board as Triathlon/Duathlon/Messing would be something you'd agree with in the context of Gael Force, ROAR, Voldemort races being Adventure Racing? Cool :)

Well, if I agreed with that definition/context of adventure racing then yes, absolutely, I'd 100% agree. But, obviously enough at this stage, I don't regard those races as being adventure races (and neither would most of the world).

RayCun wrote: »

Actually Ray, WTF are the AR options on about? They don't make any sense. Are you trying to distinguish between multisports races and AR?

And destroy it for those taking part as they finish. I would strongly agree with DNHOP. Stereoptypes are often stereotypes precisely because it applies to vast numbers of people.

So music at the end line and someone saying your name and well done destroys the race for you :confused: If your doing a race i'm MC at i'll turn it down and tell everyone to sssshhhhh just before you cross the line;)

But a stereotype doesn't apply to everyone.............

Peterx wrote: »
    Enduro has the misfortune to be an adventure racer live in one of the very few countries that calls multisport racing Adventure Racing, eventually he'll come to terms with that too.

Not one of the few countries... the ONLY country, AFAIK. And no, I don't think I'll "come to terms" with it. No more than coming to terms with all 10km races being marathons, or all triathlons being ironmen. In fact my AR experience from the last year in particular has made me realise that they far less related to AR than I had previously given them credit for.

• Advertisement

So music at the end line and someone saying your name and well done destroys the race for you :confused: If your doing a race i'm MC at i'll turn it down and tell everyone to sssshhhhh just before you cross the line;)

But a stereotype doesn't apply to everyone.............

I didn't say EVERYONE. I said "vast numbers". And I didn't say it would destroy my race. I quoted your post about atmosphere. The "it" referred to atmosphere. Sorry if that wasn't clear. And yes, I agree with DNHOP that loud crap music blaring out over PA, with a DJ waffling inanities every now and again most definitely destroys the atmosphere. I've no problem with a race announcer calling finishers out as they cross the line. That's totally different.

I didn't say EVERYONE. I said "vast numbers". And I didn't say it would destroy my race. I quoted your post about atmosphere. The "it" referred to atmosphere. Sorry if that wasn't clear. And yes, I agree with DNHOP that loud crap music blaring out over PA, with a DJ waffling inanities every now and again most definitely destroys the atmosphere. I've no problem with a race announcer calling finishers out as they cross the line. That's totally different.

Define crap music, believe me its hard to please everyone. I try to keep music louder around transisition and lower music in the finish area so the mic can be heard and understood.

Also notice i use the word MC and not DJ. Its about the mic work and not the music. Perhaps i should have used that in my 1st post and for that my bad.

I do know that in one race coming up i got the booking ( at a higher price ) because i focus on the mic work and not just stand there playing music for 3 hrs.

Just don't tar us all with the same brush:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

What a stereotype.

A lot of my work is MC to announce things during the day and to congratulate people as they cross the line. Its good with smaller ones as its good for people doing their 1st tri for family members to give them a mention etc.

Before the race its important for the correct information to be given out ( many times ) and to make sure all are ready for the start and that equipment is cleared away.

But i do see your point.

My point is against loud music blasting at the finish. You mentioned dj's, I didn't know you were a dj/race announcer, so don't personalize it, I'm not having a pop at you. It's my experience and opinion that dj's blasting music at the finish line annoy far more finishers/spectators than they believe. The RD is the person to give race instructions (I've frequently heard clueless information from dj's). An informed compere calling out names of finishers is a different thing, and adds to a race, but I personally view any event that advertises they have a DJ to be a mickey mouse one.

Races I've ran without music blasting; the previous finishers hang around a bit and give you encouragement at the finish. Races's with music blasting at the finish; everyone feck's off ASAP to get out of earshot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Need a hug Enduro? ;)

I don't think anyone is precious about Gaelforce etc not being called AR and would be happy with the offroad duathlon/multi sport moniker. Suppose makes it easier to attract punters from an organiser point of view.

Re MCs/DJs afterwards. Depends on the person. The lads from Roar are great craic on the mic. Really add to the event, minimum music, maximum piss taking.

My point is against loud music blasting at the finish. You mentioned dj's, I didn't know you were a dj/race announcer, so don't personalize it, I'm not having a pop at you. It's my experience and opinion that dj's blasting music at the finish line annoy far more finishers/spectators than they believe. The RD is the person to give race instructions (I've frequently heard clueless information from dj's). An informed compere calling out names of finishers is a different thing, and adds to a race, but I personally view any event that advertises they have a DJ to be a mickey mouse one.

Races I've ran without music blasting; the previous finishers hang around a bit and give you encouragement at the finish. Races's with music blasting at the finish; everyone feck's off ASAP to get out of earshot.

My bad for not being more clear !

As i've said it all about how you do it and i do agree at the end line you do need to be able to talk and speak without the music drowning you out.

I'm saying that as someone who's done a few races and who wouldn't be a fan of it himself BUT some music at a low volume can actually keep people in the area and help create atmosphere.

Oh and any info i give out comes from the RD. I have a briefing and attend the race briefing as well along with meetings beforehand with the organisng committee.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Need a hug Enduro? ;)

I don't think anyone is precious about Gaelforce etc not being called AR and would be happy with the offroad duathlon/multi sport moniker. Suppose makes it easier to attract punters from an organiser point of view.

Re MCs/DJs afterwards. Depends on the person. The lads from Roar are great craic on the mic. Really add to the event, minimum music, maximum piss taking.

That could describe me:D

Actually Ray, WTF are the AR options on about? They don't make any sense. Are you trying to distinguish between multisports races and AR?

Yes, and obviously failing :)
    I didn't want to just have "Adventure Races" and "Only-pretend-to-be-adventure-races"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

What a stereotype.

But i do see your point.

Jaysus, how hard can it be - stick Eye Of The Tiger and Chariots Of Fire on a loop and off you go :) Maybe add an extra song depending on the event - Fat Bottom Girls for the Mini Marathon, that sort of thing.

The best race announcer ever was Carrick On Suir Tri 2009, he was hilarious. He was about 70, played Daniel O'Donnel on the PA and had huge coughing fits down the mike. I assuming it wasnt Elvis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

griffin100 wrote: »
    The best race announcer ever was Carrick On Suir Tri 2009, he was hilarious. He was about 70, played Daniel O'Donnel on the PA and had huge coughing fits down the mike. I assuming it wasnt Elvis.

That guy was golden. They didnt have him in 2011 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Folks do you use the Buy and Sell approach taken in the Gear forum?

Overall, this subforum is doing ok IMO. The season is just kicking off. The running season is all year round. Give it time.

Anyone spot the triathlete on 'Take me out' on Friday night... ?

Advertisement