Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age did you become a Right Wing Nutter ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

bullpost wrote: »
    Reminds me of the Tommy Saxondale episode:

How punchable is that fucker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

blackwhite wrote: »
    I can't imagine anything more patronising than this post.

You're right, your post was amazingly patronising.
    I don't think it could be topped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭as125634do

Lefty mostly even left handed footed even my left side of my brain is bigger than me right. But i took it too far in letting the community know i was into young teen girls. It got difficult with the lads after a few cans. So now socially im on my own ha ha ha ha h suites u ya litle piece of ****...! I love u people ur hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

as125634do wrote: »
    Lefty mostly even left handed footed even my left side of my brain is bigger than me right. But i took it too far in letting the community know i was into young teen girls. It got difficult with the lads after a few cans. So now socially im on my own ha ha ha ha h suites u ya litle piece of ****...! I love u people ur hilarious

The **** did I just read C:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

What I don't understand is the sheer lack of thought that goes into statements calling for abolition of most social welfare, removing minimum wage, extremely harsh prison sentences for minor offences, mass privatization of critical services etc..

Sure there is some fraud, waste of taxpayers money, unpunished crime etc. and general room for improvement, but most of the simplistic solutions basically throw the baby out with the bathwater, or harshly punish a whole swathe of people to hit back at a tiny minority.

It's easy to see that all of these things are boneheaded ideas once you put more than 2 seconds of thought into them; how can people have such simplistic views? (NOTE: Am not applying that to 'right wing' views in general, just these specific simplistic points of view)

• Advertisement

token101 wrote: »
    Yeah but unless you are utterly leftist and devoted to the cause of 'social justice' then you're classified as right wing conservative regardless.

These folks usually claim to economically right wing and socially liberal.

People from the 'right-wing' who want to use taxes for war and locking peaceful people up or stopping them from pursuing their goals because they don't like their lifestyles (gay marriage/adoption, drug user, prostitution, gambling etc) are truly evil scum.

You're right though. If you are pro personal freedom the right-wing want to paint you as a naive liberal (unless its about gun ownership).

If you are pro free market the left say 'why do you want people to be poor and die in the street'.

The straw manning and false dichotomy 'choices' ensures that **** all changes and that suits the privileged (both 'right' and 'left') most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

You're right, your post was amazingly patronising.
    I don't think it could be topped.

Why don't you do a social experiment, move in beside them, bring your car, your nice stuff and your sense of security, then a month or a week later post your views in this thread.

44leto wrote: »
    Why don't you do a social experiment, move in beside them, bring your car, your nice stuff and your sense of security, then a month or a week later post your views in this thread.

Is your argument really predicated on the notion that anyone who doesn't subscribe to your "hang 'em high" mindset is living a cloistered life?
    Or that having ever been wronged by someone else the only possible response is a full on dedication to the kind of collective punishment you advocate?
    The simplicity you use to approach things is almost admirable.

Unsurprisingly, it's possible to defy your convenient stereotype of a "lefty" and it's also possible not to turn into a short-sighted reactionary simply because you've been the victim of crime.

Granted your way is easier, so there is that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

I'd say when I turned 20 (I'm 21 in under 2 months). I'm an economically right wing libertarian anarchist - I follow the writings of Von Mises, Rothbard, Hayek, Adam Smith, etc.. On social issues, however, I'm extremely left wing - I support gay marriage/adoption, abortion, secularisation, removing the Roman Catholic Church from education and all other facets of society, promoting agnosticism/atheism, etc.. The only think I'm right wing about when it comes to society is art/architecture - I prefer artistic realism to contemporary art/architecture.

Is your argument really predicated on the notion that anyone who doesn't subscribe to your "hang 'em high" mindset is living a cloistered life?
    Or that having ever been wronged by someone else the only possible response is a full on dedication to the kind of collective punishment you advocate?
    The simplicity you use to approach things is almost admirable.

Unsurprisingly, it's possible to defy your convenient stereotype of a "lefty" and it's also possible not to turn into a short-sighted reactionary simply because you've been the victim of crime.

Granted your way is easier, so there is that.

So you see my point and you would never move in beside them, but you expect their neighbours all to have your attitude which is incredibly hypocritical.

• Advertisement

So you see my point and you would never move in beside them, but you expect their neighbours all to have your attitude which is incredibly hypocritical.

I don't see your point.
    This is because you don't have one, you have a series of assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I had a good run as a young hippy liberal.
    Save the whales, no US troops through Shannon, feed the world, reliable healthcare for all, no to Sellafield & all that.
    Since I've been married, bought a house & had kids I've become much more conservative.
    Liberal issues now do nothing for me, I see welfare state spongers as the lowest rung of society, if you can't afford that expensive operation will you just hurry up & die quickly, I don't care where my energy comes from as long as it's cheap, blow up half the middle-east if it keeps petrol below €2 a litre, I can't wait to shot a burglar.
    It's getting worse the older I get & I'm only 39, what am I going to be like when I'm 70.
    There's a chance I could vote FF again in my lifetime.

At what age did you flip to the darkside ?.

It sounds like your political views have never changed; when you were young, you supported policies that made you feel good without ever really thinking about them in any depth; now that you're older, you support policies that make you feel good without ever really thinking about them in any depth.

I don't see your point.
    This is because you don't have one, you have a series of assumptions.

My so called "assumptions" are based on my experience and that is on the actual, I use to live beside them, I don't anymore and it is the best move I ever made. I am not for increased social policies that feed dependency, I am for more prisons and zero tolerance.

I am for ... zero tolerance.

Of what?

Of what?

Crime and general anti social behaviour, other then that I am totally tolerant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭bullpost

You're right.
    While I am slowly moving away from the left as I get older, I certainly don't think the right have all the solutions.
    When you look at the social deprivation of the poorest communities in countries with very little welfare, I dont think its something most people want to see.
    Also we should try harder to keep people out of jail . I'm not talking about the recidivists , but those who go into the system for the first time.
    Once you get a prison record chances are you will re-offend, not because you want to , but because you are now socially isolated and will most likely be a burden on society for the rest of your life.
    What I don't understand is the sheer lack of thought that goes into statements calling for abolition of most social welfare, removing minimum wage, extremely harsh prison sentences for minor offences, mass privatization of critical services etc..

Sure there is some fraud, waste of taxpayers money, unpunished crime etc. and general room for improvement, but most of the simplistic solutions basically throw the baby out with the bathwater, or harshly punish a whole swathe of people to hit back at a tiny minority.

It's easy to see that all of these things are boneheaded ideas once you put more than 2 seconds of thought into them; how can people have such simplistic views? (NOTE: Am not applying that to 'right wing' views in general, just these specific simplistic points of view)

Jesus are they broad parameters or what?

What would you say is more socially destructive?

The riots in the UK or the banking bailout in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Except the crimes you yourself commit, right?
    I would usually pirate a movie

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77434816&postcount=489

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭as125634do

RichieC wrote: »
    The **** did I just read C:

yeh i forgot a rule; Keep some things to urswlf. But i was an easy target so people cud speculate and assume things so i had to devise a plan

Jesus are they broad parameters or what?

What would you say is more socially destructive?

The riots in the UK or the banking bailout in Ireland?

If it is levels of scale I believe if there was not a banking bailout that would have been a lot more destructive, but we will never know that. As for the mess they got us into, I believe we were all culpable, politicians, the regulators, the bank shareholders and us the crazy borrowers. But that is another thread.

But I believe there should have been some prosecutions the banking regulator was very negligent to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

as125634do wrote: »
    yeh i forgot a rule; Keep some things to urswlf. But i was an easy target so people cud speculate and assume things so i had to devise a plan

English, do you speak it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Some of us go in for lifelong learning and do not easily allow ourselves to be pigeonholed, especially if we have the chance to gain experience of other cultures and learn to understand that there are different strokes for different folks.:)

I believe strongly in social solidarity, believe that people who are, temporarily or permanently, in need of help should be given it and allowed to lead a life of dignity and to develop themselves to the extent that their capabilities permit.:D

The kind of neo-liberal policies espoused by despicable people like Thatcher, Reagan, Harney and McDowell - to name just a few of the worst creeps - are really just an excuse for the strong "haves" to evade their social responsibility and grow even wealthier relative to the "have-nots". Ultimately, that approach only weakens society as a whole, and is generally compounded by inefficient and inconsistent governance as well.:rolleyes:

I'll never become a right-winger, although I'm 68, I have never been unemployed for a day in my life and have been comfortably off for decades. I vote for Sinn Fein in Ireland and for the Greens (a member of the governing coalition) in Finland. A couple of weeks ago, I voted for the gay Green candidate in the Finnish presidential election. He didn't win. but I recognise that the man who won, a moderate conservative, is also a decent person and will make a good president.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

The Shinners??!?

Love that phrase. Something spectre-like about it. Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I started leaning to the right in my mid 20s. I was an awful leftie ****ebag in my late teens and early 20s. It quite unbelievable just how many different groups of people I hate these days.

My so called "assumptions" are based on my experience and that is on the actual, I use to live beside them, I don't anymore and it is the best move I ever made.

That's great for you, what does that have to do with anything?
    Do you even know what you're complaining about any more?
    I am not for increased social policies that feed dependency, I am for more prisons and zero tolerance.

yes, yes, yes, treat the symptom. That's been your line consistently except of course, when it isn't.

As Ikky Poo2 helpfully dug up.
    44leto wrote:
    I would usually pirate a movie

So, when are you turning yourself in?
    Let's see how strong your zero tolerance convictions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Whatever about right-wing adults, right-wing/socially conservative young people depress me. They're going to turn out as awfully dull adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Whatever about right-wing adults, right-wing/socially conservative young people depress me. They're going to turn out as awfully dull adults.

how so ? Id myself very right wing, I have been since I was 15-16 , Id consider myself rather interesting, as do my friends.

Oh gawd yes. Any responsible government would force these young'uns to smoke weed or get pissed and allow him/herself to be pushed down a hill in a shopping trolley.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Sometime during my Leaving Cert, when my history teacher showed us the bull**** behind most of modern 'history'.

And then also when I started coming across Roma gypsies. ;)

• Advertisement

You say that, but as the American GOP and the Tories have shown us, they tend to have the more deviant sexual scandals.

Sure, they say they're for traditional values, but I missed the part where traditional values contained a greased Filipino boy, a Saint Andrew's Cross and a safe word.

Advertisement