Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blonde bull for heifers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

What would be a decent cross if you wanted Blonde X sucklers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

What do you mean .?? What breed would you cross wit a Blonde to result in a good suckler cow??????????

Richk2012 wrote: »
    What do you mean .?? What breed would you cross wit a Blonde to result in a good suckler cow??????????

Yeah. Limousin maybe. Wonder how they would do on simis. If they were a good cross the simi would bring some milk I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Yeah. Limousin maybe. Wonder how they would do on simis. If they were a good cross the simi would bring some milk I suppose.

if you're going for replacements you would want something with milk. the blondes arent exactly blessed with loads of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Strange the Blondes never took off here as a breed. Anybody that has them has usually good things to say about them. They do seem to have a very fine coat of hair, not exactly ideal for Irish conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Its funny because in the book they said he was suitable for maidens but I checked him up on icbf and he has no reliability on any of his indexes. Would be slow to use him because of that. Better the devil you know!!
    sorry iwas looking at the breeding advice section of the catalogue. (easy calving maiden heifers section)

Yea the simmental cross would be my choice aswell for the milk , although i have bought Belgian Blue heifers bred from strong British Fresians and they produced some of my best calves. They held their condition well rearing calves too , but one of them was from a holstien and got the same treatment as the rest of them and she went to skin on bone on me . Reared a decent calf as a heifer but you'd be ashamed of her if she was grazing fields by the road :rolleyes: ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Yea the simmental cross would be my choice aswell for the milk , although i have bought Belgian Blue heifers bred from strong British Fresians and they produced some of my best calves. They held their condition well rearing calves too , but one of them was from a holstien and got the same treatment as the rest of them and she went to skin on bone on me . Reared a decent calf as a heifer but you'd be ashamed of her if she was grazing fields by the road :rolleyes: ..

hi rick,

Meant to be the ultimate cross Br Fr X BB to turn out heavy weanlings due to milk/ muscle on dam gene side, I don't have one but a lad near me went specifically to get 2 ended up with a Holstein X BB thrown in on the deal and she horrid leggy looking yoke and won't suit the ground round here!

I need to get a second calf this year for a cow that"ll have too much milk and if I can I'd like to source a nicely marked, good quality br fr x bb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i have 2 blonde cows with part calves a bull and heifer and i think its a great cross, i would question a cross with a sim because if you have blonde already you are totally changing the breeding direction by going sim,part will add more to the blonde as well as milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭limo_100

wel lads this isin't the best place ta post this but it saves starting a new thread for one question. what would be the best blue bull for medium sized red limousion cows?? PG bulls are the only ones i use

• Advertisement

I might experiment a bit and see what suits me best. I have heard good things and seen some Br Fr X BB heifers before and they were exceptional. Not sure how they would be for calving though, the ones I saw had a fairly small pelvis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Pic 105: BA x CH Cow. Super breeder.
    Pic 128: BA x CH Cow. Super Breeder.
    Pic 115: BA x Lim heifer.
    Pic 013: BA x Lim Cow. Maybe the best cow at home!
    Pic 093: BA x AA Cow. Average breeder, except this year a very good CH bull calf.

Some very nice cattle there. Nicely shaped and a bit of length in them. The charolais X cows look decent for milk going by the size of the elder.

EDIT: The colour of the Lim X, I assume that is because she is off a black lim?

limo_100 wrote: »
    wel lads this isin't the best place ta post this but it saves starting a new thread for one question. what would be the best blue bull for medium sized red limousion cows?? PG bulls are the only ones i use

ross alo a BYU son with height
    FHZ
    Or if she a good wide cow and a proven good calver try DEP

Others vertically challenged only IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Bizzum wrote: »
    Pic 093: BA x AA Cow. Average breeder, except this year a very good CH bull calf.

fine stock, they are huge, first two are very milky looking as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ya, super looking cows there Bizzum. Hard to believe you could do better than these. Lovely balance to them. Milk, depth of body, length, muscle, top line, all good on them, in fairness.

Bodacious wrote: »
    ross alo a BYU son with height
    FHZ
    Or if she a good wide cow and a proven good calver try DEP

Others vertically challenged only IMO

i used dep and he seems to be challenged height wise aswell so its just tuff to know what to use i think i'll use either FHZ or AZL. I wonder is RWS tall

great stock Bizzum, credit to ya

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Absolute smahers Bizzum, Are they all by the same blonde bull, and do you have any fertility problems with blondes?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I can't help but notice that the fertility values on ICBF are low. Would that be due to a long gestation? I see the calving interval is also quite long. I wonder how they are on their feet as they are quite small like a belgian blue.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the kind comments on the stock. We have always tried to keep very good stock, using AI and a bit of luck we generally have achieved this.
    To answer a few questions:
    I notice no fertility issues with the Blondes that I can think of above any other breed we have.
    (We do try and keep replacements by AI bulls of decent maternal merit out of good cows that breed well, rear a calf well, and calve well>)

Three of the cows are by Landais who is gone now. The other two were bought in, by a BA stockbull, out of cows that I knew!)

Gestation length with the BA is at the top end of the scale, regularly going over 300 days.

Pic 005 is the two BA x CH cows from earlier as calves, so their dams can be seen. Both were heifers calves, both calved unassisted.

I think the BA worked out well on them heifers but if I had used a Lim it's likely the results would have been good too!

Fantastic stock Bizzum;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

i used dep and he seems to be challenged height wise aswell so its just tuff to know what to use i think i'll use either FHZ or AZL. I wonder is RWS tall

He isnt.

If you want hight you wont do much better than VAP. Easy calved too.

He isnt.

funny enough i rang one og the breeding advisors on the back of the book and he said he'd recommond KYR said he's leaving great growty calves with lots of style. tbh i wouldnt have thought that of him. Anyone any experience with him??

I have a good few rockys in the pot and had about ten calves by him and wouldnt say hes hard calving at all. Found the calves lacked growth though. Reason I was thinking blonde was for the bit of scope. Nice to hear he is not hard calved though especially with blue cows. It seems to be hard to get a bit of thickness in a blonde but I checked up Kilmoney bruce on icbf and he did fairly well on the linear scoring.

These are 3 Rocky calves from last year . I found him to be very good at bringing shape and easy calved too . [url][/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

have rocky lim heifers any milk, as i have one and thinking of selling her instead of keeping her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

These are 3 Rocky calves from last year . I found him to be very good at bringing shape and easy calved too . [url][/url]
    Those are top class calves. Some shine off them too!!
    leg wax wrote: »
    have rocky lim heifers any milk, as i have one and thinking of selling her instead of keeping her.

Was talking to one of the breeding advisors for munster before about it and he said he was bad for milk. One of the friends has a pb cow by him as well and she has very little milk. Saying that he has a few heifers kept out of milky cows but none have calved yet.

Saying that he has a few heifers kept out of milky cows but none have calved yet.

Rocky has 1* for milk at low reliability, but 2* across breeds, so out of milky cows there is no reason why the heifers shouldn't be good enough.

He isnt.

hi Bog,

So this Vap is bringing height yet on that icbf linear assessment crack height measurement at withers he a midget, 20, dep is over 70 and SEU is the full 100.

Often wonder about these measurements, age of bull at measurement, accuracy etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 aghead

Fabulous stock bizzum, used a blonde bull, Aga Khan on two sa heifers last year, generally the case with said bull, and is it even worth keeping one of his heifer calves for breeding? Milk/fertility wise, calves not a patch on lim x, charls and salers of the same batch

Advertisement