Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribes: Ascend

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Just started playing the game there yesterday and although only played a little i know im going to be putting alot of hours into this ha. Just wondering is there any must have items etc that everyone needs to get first before anything else not sure what to spend my first bit of xp on.

also add me IgsT3r :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

IgsTer wrote: »
    Just started playing the game there yesterday and although only played a little i know im going to be putting alot of hours into this ha. Just wondering is there any must have items etc that everyone needs to get first before anything else not sure what to spend my first bit of xp on.

also add me IgsT3r :)

Depends what classes you are going to be playing really. I mainly play Tech and Doombringer so my first unlocks were the Thumper as primary for Tech and the Doombringers mines. Both are well worth it if you're gonna play either class.

If you like flag running then the Reach and Light weight perks are good investments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Big Knox wrote: »
    Depends what classes you are going to be playing really. I mainly play Tech and Doombringer so my first unlocks were the Thumper as primary for Tech and the Doombringers mines. Both are well worth it if you're gonna play either class.

If you like flag running then the Reach and Light weight perks are good investments.
    Fully upgraded mines, additional mine perk.
    • Drop 3 mines on the flag
    • Put a Force Field at a location where the guy doing a cap run will hit it hard (if the mines don't kill him as speed + FF does good damage)
    • Wait
    • Profit
    Never gets old :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Nody wrote: »
    Fully upgraded mines, additional mine perk.
    • Drop 3 mines on the flag
    • Put a Force Field at a location where the guy doing a cap run will hit it hard (if the mines don't kill him as speed + FF does good damage)
    • Wait
    • Profit
    Never gets old :D
    • Generator down
    • Fire off a round onto the flag before grabbing
    • Speed of 200+ so turrets are useless
    • Profit

I actually don't know how I usually deal with mines. Either I die, I blow them up or generator is down :confused: Are they even affected by the generator? I usually try and not even touch the ground around the flag so maybe remaining airbourne avoids the mines

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Grimebox wrote: »
      I actually don't know how I usually deal with mines. Either I die, I blow them up or generator is down :confused: Are they even affected by the generator? I usually try and not even touch the ground around the flag so maybe remaining airbourne avoids the mines
    Mines are not affected by the generator, only the FF are (and they are proxy mines so even flying over them you'd most likely trigger them if they are there).

But that's also why you got the hunter seeker missiles, if they want to go flying you're all to happy to help them land :pac:

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Mines are not affected by the generator, only the FF are (and they are proxy mines so even flying over them you'd most likely trigger them if they are there).

But that's also why you got the hunter seeker missiles, if they want to go flying you're all to happy to help them land :pac:

Going fast enough easily out smarts the seeker missiles. They usually never even get a lock to begin with.

The amount of times I've seen a heavy on the flag, I displace him with one shot, grab the flag and fly off :p I tried going defence myself and the rage when this happened to me. You feel so helpless. You can't even chase!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Well I only have the free classes unlocked at the moment. Playing a good bit with the jugg but noticed im doing more defence than offense with him so thinking ill unlock the doombringer first to fit in with my heavy defence playstyle, ill be sure to pick up those mines first. Tech looks interesting too will probably pick that up soon after. Then maybe the raider. Ill prob work on getting those three classes and pathfinder upgraded then. Played the pathfinder for a couple hours last night and im just loving the speed you can get up to on a good run cant beat the feeling of flying through the air at 200k+ grabbing the flag and speeding away into the distance, bullets and explosions going off all around you :)

maybe someone should set up a social group on boards here and create threads with usernames lists, mumble details etc say this game is alot better playing with people you know :)

also noticed you can rent server time off hi-rez to have your own server is this much use? looked up a few custom servers and nearly all were empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Doombringer with screens and mines is just dirty dirty dirty.

I don't know if they got nerfed or what as I haven't played for awile, but in CTF doombringers make all path finders their bitches.

I had crazy multy kills and kill streaks by just defending flag. I could not refill my screens and mines fast enough as how fast I was killing stuff. Plus I had heavy xbow too, which most sexiest weapon in game. 1 shot pathfinder is very satisfying :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dcully wrote: »

It's a bit OTT but it's a good read and what he says about admiring your enemy is so true.

Every time a Pathfinder grabs a flag i'm defending at speed and does something special it always makes me say "beautiful" and I acknowledge it in chat.

Likewise a special Spinfusor or Thumper air shot or longshot at speed will always get props from me but thankfully I'm usually on the right side of most of those that I see!! :p

I'm doing pretty well on the Defense side of things now, topping most games with a respectable score, locking down the flag for the most part but I still haven't even attempted to play pathfinder yet and I know I'm going to love it when it clicks!

So much depth to this game, it's a work of art!!

• Advertisement

Well I started recording some games today for the fun of it and here's the result. I'm not claiming to be any good at the game but this might give some of you a taste of playing pathfinder. I didn't have much footage to choose from. I had another great flag steal just before they were about to cap but I wasn't recording :( I think the song really suit the fast paced action :P

Well I started recording some games today for the fun of it and here's the result. I'm not claiming to be any good at the game but this might give some of you a taste of playing pathfinder. I didn't have much footage to choose from. I had another great flag steal just before they were about to cap but I wasn't recording :( I think the song really suit the fast paced action :P

Nice, didn't know you can use the pathfinders grens like concs from TFC to gain some speed!!

Nice, didn't know you can use the pathfinders grens like concs from TFC to gain some speed!!

Only started doing it recently. It is essential! I've even started using the bow's blast if im out of grenades for extra speed. Turrets can't touch you if your going fast enough so health doesn't matter. Those big vertical loops I do into the sky are actually pretty bad I think. If you have the flag you almost always get sniped.

Only started doing it recently. It is essential! I've even started using the bow's blast if im out of grenades for extra speed. Turrets can't touch you if your going fast enough so health doesn't matter. Those big vertical loops I do into the sky are actually pretty bad I think. If you have the flag you almost always get sniped.

Yeah I was wondering about that alright ha! Never used the crossbow either but looks like it's a solid weapon especially for air shots. Oh btw you should probably turn off the tips bar I don't think you need them anymore!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Storm Trooper Stu

Hi guys, just found this thread and if anyone would be interested in joining a new clan please let me know.

Big Knox, you seem to be a decent capper and we need someone like you.
    Our Clan is called Skynet Avengers and we are linked to the Gameshrime website.
    We have our own Mumble channel so we can talk in game and our own IRC channel.
    We are not the best players but we enjoy the chat and having a laugh on the public servers and private practices on PUG servers.

http://www.gameshrine.org/tribe.php?id=164

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

So nice to see people rediscovering the joys of tribes:)

Wierd to see people figuring out the same tricks from 12 or 13 years ago all over again!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Might be a good time to resurrect this thread with the GOTY option available to buy all content for a once off cost.
    I loved this for quite a few months, just found the time to unlock weapons too long as indeed many players did.
    I put a few euro into it to get a weapon but thats all i spent but all along i wanted the option to buy the game outright with ALL content and now i can.
    Easily one of the best fps title out there right now.
    If you have ever bought anything for the game you will have VIP acces and be able to buy the GOTY version with all content of €15.99.

TIP : DO not buy from steam, they dont recognize VIP status, buy from here instead https://account.hirezstudios.com/orders/tribes-goty.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Good tip, I was going to get it on steam later on.

I just keep coming back to tribes, Planetside 2 should be good but seems to be determined to disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

fenris wrote: »
    Good tip, I was going to get it on steam later on.

I just keep coming back to tribes, Planetside 2 should be good but seems to be determined to disappoint.

I actually dip in to Tribes now and then. I love it. I did not found planet side 2 that fun too. Sounds cool on paper, but not as fun as i though it would be.

I really love that they droped the XP prices too. 100k XP for a weapon was madness!!! :eek:

I was thinking of getting the GOTy edition, but that does not include skins. I got 60k XP so i can get almost anything i want with reduced prices. If they would had skins in GOTY too i would be all over the damn thing! :D

even so, still an amazing game. You get few kills in game, but damn those are satisfying.

Advertisement