Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragons vs Munster, Sat 3 Mar 6:30pm, Live on S4C/TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

jm08 wrote: »
    Northampton were chasing him, so Munster had to give him a (2 year) contract.

Why if they aren't going to ever play him??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

leftleg wrote: »

It is a good question but I'm taking hope from it in that it suggests somebody rates him. He could be working on some other parts of his game before making the step up, it's not unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

But he's on a full contract, isn't he? i.e. rugby should be his focus, especially now that the first-teamers are away.

He's studying like most if not all the academy players in Munster, I assume if he's on study leave then he has exams to prepare for. I really dont see an issue if it was his request. In the last couple of years we've seen at least a half dozen Irish players retire through injury, it's good that the current crop of players are being encouraged to have something to fall back on should the same happen to them

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

Has there been anything more said about Nagle to connacht?

But he's on a full contract, isn't he? i.e. rugby should be his focus, especially now that the first-teamers are away.

I'd hope (and assume tbh) that none of the provinces would have any problem with a player requiring exam-leave.

If it was a position that they were particularly stretched at, there's obviously times when they could say no and ask them to defer their exams, but as Munster are hardly short on locks I doubt they'd begrudge the lad the chance to do well in education.

• Advertisement

leftleg wrote: »

The season Munster have played 24 games.
    Nagle has featured in 8 of those game, injured or on study leave for another 6. The remaining games were 6 H/C and the usual prep games for the internationals to play in prior to H/C (9 games in total)

So Nagle lost out in playing one game, Aironi at home and that was the first game in the season for POC and DOC after their return from the W/C.

I'd love to have seen him get more gametime but he's been injured for the two periods when the internationals were away and he's seemed to have lost ground because of this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

phog wrote: »
    He's studying like most if not all the academy players in Munster, I assume if he's on study leave then he has exams to prepare for. I really dont see an issue if it was his request. In the last couple of years we've seen at least a half dozen Irish players retire through injury, it's good that the current crop of players are being encouraged to have something to fall back on should the same happen to them

What's he studying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I'm not suggesting they should deny him the chance to finish his education (this exam leave thing is suddenly being accepted as fact, after somebody said he might have seen it mentioned on MF.com), merely pointing out that:
    a) He's not an academy player any more, he's a full-timer (as far as I know anyway).
    b) He has been named in the larger squad every week. Munster have been very thorough in telling us who is and is not in consideration every week and if Nagle was genuinely unavailable, he would not be listed in the 30-man squads. No?
    c) From his own point of view, this is the time when he needs to be getting game time. If he can't get games ahead of MOD, Holland and Foley, then what hope has he when Ryan, O'Connell and DOC are back?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Someone else has posted on munsterfans that he is recovering from a shoulder injury. So that maybe they decided to give him the extra few days as they can't play everyone.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What's he studying?

I've no idea and tbh I couldn't care less.
    I'm not suggesting they should deny him the chance to finish his education (this exam leave thing is suddenly being accepted as fact, after somebody said he might have seen it mentioned on MF.com), merely pointing out that:
    a) He's not an academy player any more, he's a full-timer (as far as I know anyway).
    b) He has been named in the larger squad every week. Munster have been very thorough in telling us who is and is not in consideration every week and if Nagle was genuinely unavailable, he would not be listed in the 30-man squads. No?
    c) From his own point of view, this is the time when he needs to be getting game time. If he can't get games ahead of MOD, Holland and Foley, then what hope has he when Ryan, O'Connell and DOC are back?

He hasn't been named in all the squads that Munster have named, in fact his injuries have been listed in some of those squad announcement.

I already gave a breakdown of his games this season and aside from the weeks he's been out injured he's missed Aironi (Home) and Cardiff (Away), for Aironi game POC and DOC were introduced back to the team after the W/C and it's been mentioned that he was on study leave for last week and the assumption is he's still on study leave for the game tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Then why was he named in the extended squad?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Then why was he named in the extended squad?

Give me Tony McGahan's number and I'll riung him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I've no idea and tbh I couldn't care less.

I can't think of any exams that are on at this time of the year so I personally think the rumour that he isn't picked due to having exams is not true.

Unless he is doing mock exams for the Leaving, they're on around now. Maybe he's repeating his leaving then. :pac:

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I can't think of any exams that are on at this time of the year so I personally think the rumour that he isn't picked due to having exams is not true.

Unless he is doing mock exams for the Leaving, they're on around now. Maybe he's repeating his leaving then. :pac:

Well there are college mid-term exams which in some courses you have to pass otherwise you fail the entire module. A couple of my friends have had them this week, and a few others next week.

From the Examiner - Milestone for O’Driscoll as Tokula makes debut

A Munster career going back to 1998 will be marked tonight when Mick O’Driscoll captains the RaboDirect Pro12 champions in a crucial fixture against Newport Gwent Dragons for what will be his 200th career for the province.

It’s another milestone for the Cork player, who makes his 125th league appearance as he seeks to lead his side through another difficult fixture in the absence of their international representatives.

O’Driscoll sees victory as imperative in the battle for a top four place, particularly as Munster seek to secure a home semi-final by finishing as one of the top two.

The game also marks a debut opportunity for new signing Save Tokula, who gets his opportunity alongside Lifeimi Mafi in a backline that shows just two changes in personnel from last weekend.

http://examiner.ie/sport/rugby/milestone-for-odriscoll-as-tokula-makes-debut-185915.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Does anyone know how many of those are as captain? A Munster legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Fair play to Mick.

Got a lot of undeserved slack down through the years. A consummate pro both for club and country.

He really stood up when POC got injured last year and played some of his best rugby

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

3 minutes in 3-0 up scrum penalty and keatley kicked it

Nice easy kick from Keatley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Anyone else having issues with the tg4 live player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Good steal at the lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

accensi0n wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with the tg4 live player?

Yeh, getting an error message. Is it unavailable for some reason?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

2 scrums so far 2 penalties with the second choice front row on

really on top at scrum time so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Sherlock
    AerTV works grand if anyone is having problems with TG4 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Another one there. This is exactly what Archer needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

And again. Great to see. Now if we could just get hold of the ball for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Forward pass at the lead up to that try. Poor defending though.

Disastrous there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

budhabob wrote: »
    Forward pass at the lead up to that try. Poor defending though.

2 forward passes. Poor play from Munster all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

8-3

Referee gives a Holding on Penalty, literally 3 seconds after contact.
    Tomás thinks its a Munster penalty and takes a quick tap.
    Ref brings it forward into Kicking Range.

3-3

Then from the kickoff, Munster won a scrum for a knock on.
    Munster mess up from the scrum, Dragons get away with a clear forward pass, and after some terrible tackles Dragons go over.
    Easy enough conversion missed!

2 terrible refereeing decision give Dragons 8 points.

EDIT: 8-6 another Knock On from kickoff, and Munster win a penalty from the scrum, for the Dragons number 6 being so far offside, he was driving beside Coughlin.

Advertisement