Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherlock confirms that ‘Irish SOPA’ has been signed into law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Downlinz

One thing confusing me is this:
    “We feel strongly that the SABAM v Scarlet decision – the ECJ decisions – now provide a guidance for any judge in Irish law,” the minister said, referring to the ruling where the ECJ ruled it illegal for courts to force Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to filter content in order to enforce copyright protection.

If it was previously illegal for courts to force ISPs to block content for copyright enforcement why have Eircom had pirate bay blocked for nearly 3 years now?
    On the 24 July 2009, an Order was made by the High Court requiring eircom to block or otherwise disable access by its subscribers to the website thePirateBay.org, its related domain names, IP addresses and URLs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Downlinz wrote: »
    One thing confusing me is this:

If it was previously illegal for courts to force ISPs to block content for copyright enforcement why have Eircom had pirate bay blocked for nearly 3 years now?

They failed to appeal the ruling (or appealed but settled).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

We're getting a name for ourselves. Keep voting for traitors and they'll keep getting elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

He's a sly little prick... he waited til Fiscal hit the headlines to slide this in the back door!

Another freedom is now at risk... I hope the mans next ****e is a hedgehog coming out backwards and then gets a horrible bout of cancer!

I think people here may be over-estimating the interest of the general punter on the street in this new law/SI, that coupled with the whole "he'll never get re-elected" rabble rabble rabble... most ordinary folk haven't a clue about this law, nor care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Funny how if you stick this picture (http://officiallythehottest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/sean-sherlock-big3.jpg) into this site (http://www.pictriev.com/facedb/fs2.php) he comes up as being 100% David Cameron.

Runs off to conspiracy theories forum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Daniel S wrote: »
    Funny how if you stick this picture (http://officiallythehottest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/sean-sherlock-big3.jpg) into this site (http://www.pictriev.com/facedb/fs2.php) he comes up as being 100% David Cameron.

Runs off to conspiracy theories forum!

i hope you got permission to use those images

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Will I have to get permission for images I use as avatars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Having a great laugh reading his FB page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Will I have to get permission for images I use as avatars?

LOL, it don't look right if it's not defaced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Whats the bets internet piracy rises as a result of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Niall0001

Whats the bets internet piracy rises as a result of this.

Anonymous numbers are bound to rise in Ireland also. Oh, & 80,000 No votes in the upcoming referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭twilightsection

My blog post and my email to Sean Sherlock, Richard Bruton and Enda Kenny.

http://mralcapowensblog.tumblr.com/

Not true (not referring to the smarmy child bit, totally agree with that!), want freedom and privacy on the net? Clear and close your google account, download and use exclusively the Tor browser bundle and all recommended additions.

It's the most appallingly simple thing in the world and the number of people doing it is going to absolutely skyrocket.

I have my privacy well guarded online but the fact remains that the vast majority of people are not so prepared. Online privacy is getting harder and harder to maintain and it would seem that members of our government are only planning on stricter and tighter regulation of the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When he finds out what the internet is, he'll eventually be able to fix his Facebook account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Hear, hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm gonna canvass directly against just him before the next General Election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I have my privacy well guarded online but the fact remains that the vast majority of people are not so prepared.
    I agree completely, but as the noose tightens the number of people circumventing it will increase drastically, the knowledge isn't great and it isn't hard to find, I gave this point, with figures and references, to my local TD and Sherlock before the SI was signed in, interestingly they had nothing much to say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I sent a mail to sean sherlock last night, once I read that SOPA had been signed by him and passed into law.

I have nothing to hide, so I used my real name, and my email address from college.

I received this reply tonight.

Please read copyright review doc. And then ask yourself who funds tssg. You students!!!!sometimes I despair that we are educating a generation of people who don't know how to inform themselves of the facts.

Sean Sherlock TD
    Minister of State

Sent from my iPhone

tssg is Telecommunications Software & Systems Group,
    details can be found here http://www.tssg.org/about/

Originally Posted by sean sherlock
    Please read copyright review doc. And then ask yourself who funds tssg. You students!!!!sometimes I despair that we are educating a generation of people who don't know how to inform themselves of the facts.

Sean Sherlock TD
    Minister of State

Sent from my iPhone

Pretty sure he's slaggin' yor ma!

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    Pretty sure he's slaggin' yor ma!

I agree, wouldn't take that ****e from a Cork Bai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Very Aptly put.

I wonder how this is going to be enforced hmm time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

looks like ould seanie is a boardsie!

ottostreet wrote: »

Which one I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

chocksaway wrote: »
    he just ruined any chance he has of getting re-elected.. may kiss his political career goodbye
    he'll prob get a cushy job somewhere in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

what makes you think that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

He has referenced Boards.ie!

He has referenced Boards.ie!

Link?

or was it in email? All I got was this
    Read the copyright review doc

Sean Sherlock TD
    Minister of State

Sent from my iPhone

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I sent a mail to sean sherlock last night, once I read that SOPA had been signed by him and passed into law.

I have nothing to hide, so I used my real name, and my email address from college.

I received this reply tonight.

Sean Sherlock TD
    Minister of State

Sent from my iPhone

tssg is Telecommunications Software & Systems Group,
    details can be found here http://www.tssg.org/about/

I sent an email the day before and still haven't got a reply?! I can't really imagine a member of government replying to an email in such a manner...

I call shenanigans on this one.

• Advertisement

I sent an email the day before and still haven't got a reply?! I can't really imagine a member of government replying to an email in such a manner...

I call shenanigans on this one.

screen grab is needed

Advertisement