Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonnen vs Silva II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

cowzerp wrote: »
    Yeah, silva was getting out struck and looked worried and got a lucky kick in!

I'm not sure that I'd say he was worried, I've seen a few of his fights where he spends the first round or two on the backfoot letting the opponent do all the work. Then when he thinks he has the measure he either drops them or starts playing with them.
    The Sonnen fight was interesting because he never let Silva get off the backfoot, it was pretty much constant assault, mixed between striking and wrestling without a feeling out process.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,150 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yeah, silva was getting out struck and looked worried and got a lucky kick in!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKLnkdnWTpsk103byNB9Se78Snjt_eqhSsj5W0pVQyhzuK92mjEWLaxhUh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Very serious, Silva was worried about the speed of Belfort and looked a bit lost, the kick was a fluke and a freak thing that happens now and again in sport. Not saying it was not good but i am saying that it was lucky and i don't even think Silva was expecting that result from that kick.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Very serious, Silva was worried about the speed of Belfort and looked a bit lost, the kick was a fluke and a freak thing that happens now and again in sport. Not saying it was not good but i am saying that it was lucky and i don't even think Silva was expecting that result from that kick.

I doubt he thought he was gonna KO Belfort with that kick, but to call it "lucky", I have to disagree with. Freak, absolutely, but not lucky! He threw the kick to hit Belfort in the face, he hit Belfort exactly where he intended to and it effected him in a way which was unusual.

I reckon if we start calling that lucky, perhaps 1/2 of KOs would have to be considered "Lucky".

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I reckon if we start calling that lucky, perhaps 1/2 of KOs would have to be considered "Lucky".

If i throw a jab to find range or to put you off balance, maybe to set up a takedown and it knocks you out then thats lucky, If i throw the jab to try KO you then it's not lucky/freak its planned.

I maintain that i feel it was a lucky shot and not an intentional ko

• Advertisement

If i throw a jab to find range or to put you off balance, maybe to set up a takedown and it knocks you out then thats lucky, If i throw the jab to try KO you then it's not lucky/freak its planned.

I maintain that i feel it was a lucky shot and not an intentional ko

While I understand what you're saying, I think throwing a kick like he did with his back-leg is miles different from a jab. He was definitely looking to do damage, even if he wasn't sure what exactly that damage would be!

2.gif

While I understand what you're saying, I think throwing a kick like he did with his back-leg is miles different from a jab. He was definitely looking to do damage, even if he wasn't sure what exactly that damage would be!

I think we just look at it different, A front kick to me is usually to push someone back, or to find range-similar to a jab actually-the actual move is not that important to my debate anyway

its the intention and i think it was not his intention to KO Belfort with that kick, hence why i believe it was lucky

Anyway, he won and thats what counts just like against Chael, the W is the important stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

They see me trollin', they hatin'...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Seems Chael is a Young Guns fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭themacman

Whats the story with Sonnen waving around a belt that he 'took from Anderson Silva'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

themacman wrote: »
    Whats the story with Sonnen waving around a belt that he 'took from Anderson Silva'?
    Because he is

"the true champion, linear champion, people’s champion, and the best damn middleweight there’s ever been"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I reckon Chael is gonna have a fantastic run of talking **** in the lead up to this fight. Should be hilarious. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I just want Silva v Bisping. How does this fight happen?

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    I just want Silva v Bisping. How does this fight happen?

I'd say it starts with Silva having one hand tied behind his back!

Bisping is 1 win away from a title shot. Even thoguh he lost we was impressive verses Sonnen, more impressive that Stann.

Bisping Munoz for the no.1 spot imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Major major props to Bisping for his effort against Sonnen.. Mucho respect for him now... and Bisping Munoz would be ****ing brilliant ! Before Bisping Sonnen I would never have even wanted to see him fight Munoz but now I reckon there's a chance he could pull off the upset... a chance. As for IF he did... then I suppose we'd just have to sit back and watch him get genuinely slaughtered by Silva in the title fight... but he'd deserve the shot.. as pointless as it would be.

but he'd deserve the shot.. as pointless as it would be.
    Agree completely.
    THe the UFC media enginee over hypes him in the UK. And the UK fanboys might have over rated him at the start.

But the people who give him no credit ever are far far worse.
    "He's a terrible fighter. Dan Henderson proved that"

Apparently getting Knocked out by Hendo means you suck. :rolleyes:
    i don't want to be the one to tell Fedor

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

This documentary gives an interesting insight into Anderson's mindset coming into the Sonnen fight. Looks like he was having a pretty tough time mentally as well as physically in the weeks leading up to the fight.

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/tv/Like_Water_Anderson_Silva_Part_1/10027060

Mellor wrote: »
    Apparently getting Knocked out by Hendo means you suck. :rolleyes:
    i don't want to be the one to tell Fedor

Must......... resist........... ignorant sh*te about Fedor always sucking............

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SeanieMurphy

ye I think chael bates silva this time round wha I dont see him getting caught a second time wha

• Advertisement

Must......... resist........... ignorant sh*te about Fedor always sucking............

:pac:

x4Wfdf

Does Chael still train at Quest with Hendo?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Confirmed by Dana for a soccer stadium in Rio. 80k capacity

If Silva doesnt win theres gonna be a riot O_O
    https://twitter.com/#!/ufc/status/182537129136619520

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Confirmed by Dana for a soccer stadium in Rio. 80k capacity

If Silva doesnt win theres gonna be a riot O_O
    https://twitter.com/#!/ufc/status/182537129136619520

That's why it's in a football stadium........they can have a chopper ready to airlift Chael out of the cage. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dean09 wrote: »
    That's why it's in a football stadium........they can have a chopper ready to airlift Chael out of the cage. :pac:

It would take a lot more than 80,000 people to be a threat to Chael Sonnen.

Oh, how i'd love to see a repeat of Aldo v Mendes, Silva wins by spinning-heel backfist elbow kick and runs into the crown to celebrate! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Still cannot get over how mental that event was. Aldo didn't want to leave the fans for the announcement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Did I see something about Chael saying he's isn't fighting Silva until 1 demand is met and Jim Rome is getting the exclusive. Anyone else here anything about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Did I see something about Chael saying he's isn't fighting Silva until 1 demand is met and Jim Rome is getting the exclusive. Anyone else here anything about it?

The one demand will be that Silva apologises/concedes that Sonnen is the true champion of the world/something else stupid and ridiculous. Sonnen is really quite monotonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    The one demand will be that Silva apologises/concedes that Sonnen is the true champion of the world/something else stupid and ridiculous. Sonnen is really quite monotonous.

On that note, I'm not sure has everyone seen this yet?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1111930-chael-sonnen-previews-his-upcoming-book-the-voice-of-reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

From that article:
    Description of the book by Sonnen
    Presence. Tenacity. Insight. Omniscience. No need to look these words up. They are defined by yours truly. Who am I? I'm the one who needs no introduction, the walking thesaurus, the UFC's most infamous and feared destroyer of men. I am Chael P. Sonnen, and you want to be just like me.

It's your lucky day. What you are holding in your hands is nothing short of a V.I.P pass to enlightenment. In the coming pages my humor and tales of heroic adventure will baptize you in superhuman greatness. Allow me to carry you like a frail damsel as I make a nightmarish decent into the bowels of Sao Paulo. Sit before me as a student as I teach you about my plans of creating a Chaelocracy, which translates to "A Better Earth." Shower me with praise as I take you into my manly mitts like a lump of seemingly worthless clay and craft you into something far better than yourself—me.

Like all great men of myth and legend, I strive for the betterment of the human race. Prometheus brought us fire; Dana White brought us the modern day gladiator; and I bring you a step-by-step guide to being just like me. Do you have what it takes? Is there truly a chance that one day you will be able to walk in my shoes? Purchase this book and find out. There is no better day to stop being you and start trying to be me.

You're welcome civilization.

I wouldn't mind reading his book but if the whole thing is like the above, I'll be giving it a miss.
    Some of the stuff he says can be very funny but 320 pages of that type of stuff would get really old really fast.

Advertisement