Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOTO GP 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭B bopp

smurf22 wrote: »
    Great news that Eurosport are showing the race live, bbc need to lose the rights to show Motogp, they have no intrest in showing it.

I noticed a few posts on here with people talking in MPH!, cmon lads, its been 7 years now since we went metric, Moto GP speeds are shown in KPH, its time people in this country started speaking KPH.

If you're such a fan of Toby and Julian you'd know that they only work in mph.... Old skool

Bradl seems to be giving the bike a good going over. Pedrosa fell in FP2 not hurt but an off at 125 mph would leave you with a bruise.... Not a good start for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

The bikes all look class in the dark with the lights shining on them. So pretty! LOL

Spies was wringing that M1's neck too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

The bikes all look class in the dark with the lights shining on them. So pretty! LOL

Spies was wringing that M1's neck too!!!

They do dont they! I used to always love the look of the old Ducati, when it was fully red with the Marlboro livery, under the lights. It was always spectacular

frostie500 wrote: »
    They do dont they! I used to always love the look of the old Ducati, when it was fully red with the Marlboro livery, under the lights. It was always spectacular

Yeah, when it was proper blood red!! 2008/2009? Much nicer than it is now. I also love the fact that you can see the brake discs glowing and the LED's from their dash reflecting on their visors.... :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, when it was proper blood red!! 2008/2009? Much nicer than it is now. I also love the fact that you can see the brake discs glowing and the LED's from their dash reflecting on their visors.... :D

I actually like the look of the current bike, its a lot better than last years which was a bit of a mess. Still not as nice as the 08/09 bike though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Are Eurosport showing the whole season live?

I actually like the look of the current bike, its a lot better than last years which was a bit of a mess. Still not as nice as the 08/09 bike though

No, it'd be hard to beat the looks of that year's bike in fairness.
    NinjaK wrote: »
    Are Eurosport showing the whole season live?

I don't think so, I think it's just for this race.

What's anybody's thoughts after qualifying.... Few surprises there....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not really, I expected the 1000cc Yam to put up a good show and it seems to be working for Lorenzo.
    Stoner is still bloody quick though.
    Crutchlow is a bit of a surprise though, I really didn't expect him to be that fast on the Satellite Yamaha, says a lot about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Still confused as to what the hell Rossi and his crew were up to he set a faster time in FP3 on the hard tyre. just another bad year to be a Rossi fan by the looks of things and i wasn't expecting much.

The Podium Battle should be immense though very impressed by Lorenzo,Crutchlow and that Yamaha.

Stoner still looks the man in charge on the harder tyre, although it will be interesting to see how he manages the chatter as the tyres wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Grim. wrote: »
    Still confused as to what the hell Rossi and his crew were up to he set a faster time in FP3 on the hard tyre. just another bad year to be a Rossi fan by the looks of things and i wasn't expecting much.

Absolutly woeful from Rossi, thought at the end he was going to do a good lap and get up amongst Hayden and Co. but alas he stayed in dead last position for the prototypes.

Really impressed with Stefan Bradl, Rossi was holding him up at the end.
    Crutchlow was really impressive aswell everything about him all weekend says action, maybe he can compete for regular podiums this season

The Podium Battle should be immense though very impressed by Lorenzo,Crutchlow and that Yamaha.

Stoner still looks the man in charge on the harder tyre, although it will be interesting to see how he manages the chatter as the tyres wear.

Think stoner will struggle with the tyres ok... He always did.. Rossi was just plain shocking. I hope they are playing the long game.. how can Hayden get fifth and Rossi last. 3 seconds from Edwards to Lorenzo that was to be expected will be interesting in race spec because they aren't that far off a slow prototype.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

B bopp wrote: »
    3 seconds from Edwards to Lorenzo that was to be expected will be interesting in race spec because they aren't that far off a slow prototype.

Agree - with the extra fuel and engines and the less durable tyres the CRT's of Edwards and RdePuniet should mix it with the slower prototypes as the race progresses.

Noticed Cal stayed in the pits as Lorenzo and Stoner fought it out for pole - did Cal not have an extra set of soft bridgestones left after 2nd practice ? Hope Cal does not go the way of Toseland after his front row at Losail all those years ago.
    In the race I expect Dovi to go well - always has done well at Losail - looking forward to an interesting moto gp - very happy that Eurosport have the live coverage for this one and fair play to BBC for forgoing their exclusive rights - could you imagine other broadcasters doing that ?!.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

im away and i don't have eurosport. anywhere online to watch the race?

Im just after landing in Doha and its cloudy with a few spots of rain...thank God my flight home isnt until midnight tomorrow!

Im just after landing in Doha and its cloudy with a few spots of rain...thank God my flight home isnt until midnight tomorrow!

WTF!!?? Don't hate you at ALL! Not a BIT jealous! F**ker, I HATE ya!! :mad:

PMSL! Seriously, enjoy it chief. Nothing like being at a MotoGP.

WTF!!?? Don't hate you at ALL! Not a BIT jealous! F**ker, I HATE ya!! :mad:

PMSL! Seriously, enjoy it chief. Nothing like being at a MotoGP.

the annoying thing is he will be at most of the races this year, fecking reporters!! :P

enjoy yourself Frostie hope the new job goes well.

Cheers lads, looks like its clearing up a bit now with more blue sky. There was a lot of rain coming in from the sea though so I wouldnt be certain that we'll get everything done tonight, maybe another Monday night race!

Should be good races though in all three classes. Really looking forward to the Moto3 race

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

It's a poor affair from Ducati at the minute. However, it just exposes the myth about 'technology' in the premier class. Development is funnelled into having an Al beam chassis design with an inline or shallow V engine configuration.

The question has to be asked is where is the next Britton or ELF going to come from? Who is going to bring out something that is actually a prototype? The financial and PR disaster that could ensue from a bad decision is now magnified as there is now real wriggle room for the teams.

My question is could a tyre war have allowed Ducati to get a tyre made to suite their bike? Why do they need to run Al beam chassis with no 90deg configuration? Is a monocoque design bad or is it just that people do not initially understand them?

I am very disappointed that Ducati abandoned that approach as they seem to be the only company who treated MGp in spirit that it should be - pure 100% prototype machines. The Japanese companies are far too conservative and are totally unwilling to push the envelope.

However, back to Rossi. When you consider what Joan Lacorz is going through at the minute, you have to realise what these guys are doing and putting on the line.

Rossi has a long wheelbase setup whereas Nicky has it much shorter - the difference between a front end rider (Rossi) and a rear end rider (Hayden). It is no coincidence that front end rdiers have failed dramatically on the Ducati whereas only Hayden and Stoner (coming from a dirt riding background) have done anything on it.

I expect this to be a very difficult year for Ducati and Rossi. He might never win another race which is sad and an unfitting end for one of the legneds of the sport. However, he needs the bike improved before he loses confidence in it completely.

I see we have a journo on here. It would be nice if we could get some actual engineering stories from the paddock. We get lokts of stuff about the riders, but very little about the actual engineering of the bikes. Please do somethign about this!

I think I've only read one article about the actual problems with the Ducati:

http://www.motomatters.com/analysis/2011/08/08/the_trouble_with_the_ducati_desmosedici_.html

It is an excellent article and is something lacking from all mainstream coverage of the sport. Worth reading for everyone.

• Advertisement

I see we have a journo on here. It would be nice if we could get some actual engineering stories from the paddock. We get lokts of stuff about the riders, but very little about the actual engineering of the bikes. Please do somethign about this!/QUOTE]

I wont be doing anything about this weekend but im hoping to do something maybe at Jerez at the end of the month

http://www.motomatters.com/analysis/2011/08/08/the_trouble_with_the_ducati_desmosedici_.html

not enough people know about motomatters which is a massive pity as David Emmett is possibly the best motogp journo out there at the minute imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Johny 8 wrote: »
    im away and i don't have eurosport. anywhere online to watch the race?

its on the BBC red button if thats any use to you? I think BBC have all the races, this one is just on the red button because the cycling championships are on atm.

It's a poor affair from Ducati at the minute. However, it just exposes the myth about 'technology' in the premier class. Development is funnelled into having an Al beam chassis design with an inline or shallow V engine configuration.

The question has to be asked is where is the next Britton or ELF going to come from? Who is going to bring out something that is actually a prototype? The financial and PR disaster that could ensue from a bad decision is now magnified as there is now real wriggle room for the teams.

My question is could a tyre war have allowed Ducati to get a tyre made to suite their bike? Why do they need to run Al beam chassis with no 90deg configuration? Is a monocoque design bad or is it just that people do not initially understand them?

I am very disappointed that Ducati abandoned that approach as they seem to be the only company who treated MGp in spirit that it should be - pure 100% prototype machines. The Japanese companies are far too conservative and are totally unwilling to push the envelope.

However, back to Rossi. When you consider what Joan Lacorz is going through at the minute, you have to realise what these guys are doing and putting on the line.

Rossi has a long wheelbase setup whereas Nicky has it much shorter - the difference between a front end rider (Rossi) and a rear end rider (Hayden). It is no coincidence that front end rdiers have failed dramatically on the Ducati whereas only Hayden and Stoner (coming from a dirt riding background) have done anything on it.

I expect this to be a very difficult year for Ducati and Rossi. He might never win another race which is sad and an unfitting end for one of the legneds of the sport. However, he needs the bike improved before he loses confidence in it completely.

I see we have a journo on here. It would be nice if we could get some actual engineering stories from the paddock. We get lokts of stuff about the riders, but very little about the actual engineering of the bikes. Please do somethign about this!

It is an excellent article and is something lacking from all mainstream coverage of the sport. Worth reading for everyone.

Fantastic post there!!!! You really touched on a few truth's there, especially the fact that the Ducati doesn't suit Rossi's riding style and as much as thay have tried (and will continue to do so) won't be successful IMHO. Stoner tamed it because he rode around the problems the bike had (his words!) and he just wrestled the bike. Ditto with Hayden - as a moto crosser, he likes to feel the back end squirm. Rossi needs a planted front to be confident, and it's not happening.

Could a tyre war have helped their efforts? Maybe and unfortunately we'll never know. But Rossi is just another casualty with Ducati following Melandri, Capirossi and how many others??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I love Moto2 :D:D

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Three fantastic races today, great way to start the season and to think we still have BSB with a mixed up grid on brands indy to come tomorrow :D

Fantastic racing... Really good to see the shake ups.... So disappointing seeng Rossi . Bradl was exceptional for a newbie

B bopp wrote: »
    Fantastic racing... Really good to see the shake ups.... So disappointing seeng Rossi . Bradl was exceptional for a newbie

to be fair to Rossi without the off track excursion he had good pace probably wouldn't have been far off Hayden at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

3 great races today made all the better by Toby,Jules and Spalders brilliant commentary.

Stand out performance by Fenatti in Moto3, Moto2 wild as ever - whats the views on Marquez overtake move on Luthi ? - can't help but think Luthi,Iannone,Esparago,Elias,AdeE and co. will put manners on him later in the season.

And Moto gp - not the bore fest that was feared - Lorenzo laying down an early marker,Cal beating Dovi, Bradl looking solid and Edwards performing miracles on the Suter BMW.
    I hope Ducati sort out something soon - hate seeing Rossi performing so poorly, and honourable mention toYonny Hernadez - where did that performance come from ?!

• Advertisement

Three fantastic races today, great way to start the season and to think we still have BSB with a mixed up grid on brands indy to come tomorrow :D

Good racing alright! DYING for BSB tomorrow! A whole weekend of bikes, it doesn't get better than that! :D
    Infoanon wrote: »
    - whats the views on Marquez overtake move on Luthi ? -

I thought it was a pretty clean move TBH! I thought it was bad form with Luthi punching him on the slow-down lap! Iannone did well too. Moto2 is the superior class when it comes to close/exciting racing, without a doubt!

Advertisement