Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Gaeltacht in Dublin?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Calm down. I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting an Irish only till in supermarkets. Could you see them trying to enforce it?
    You're being very charitable to them. It was one of the few tangible examples given by a proponent of granting 'Network Gaeltact' status to Clondalkin. A not well-thought out idea.
    both by the vast numbers of fluent Irish speakers and the warmth and affection that memories of Peig engender in us all, that the compulsory teaching of Irish has not exactly been a stellar success.
    It's one thing teaching children a foreign language of their choice, such as French, and praising them for their efforts. It's another thing telling them they must learn Irish and that it's their true 'native' language.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Enkidu wrote: »
    Ha!:D
    Another funny addition is that we have records of Babylonian scribal students complaining about the fact that they were forced to learn Sumerian in school!
    Ditto for Roman scribes IIRC. Meh students are always moaning about something. It's their job. :D
    Bah, the vernacular of those nasty blow-ins. I prefer Sumerian, which incidentally shares sentence word order with Irish.
    Ancient Hebrew is similar I gather. Ancient Egyptian isn't that far out either. I tried having a go at the latter years ago. Makes reading Peig seem like a joyful exercise. :D
    opti0nal wrote: »
    It's one thing teaching children a foreign language of their choice, such as French, and praising them for their efforts. It's another thing telling them they must learn Irish and that it's their true 'native' language.
    I disagree, it is a native language of this country. I stress the "A". The mistake comes where some stridently claim it must still the native language of all of us. Most of us deep down know this to be bogus. Indeed all too often the most vociferous of those decrying it's rarity among us can't speak a word of it beyond an ironic version of a certain Carlsberg commercial. It can be quite odd in a is my tea spiked with mescaline way to hear many ardent supporters state things like "I hated it in school, can't speak a word of it today(beyond slan/cead mile failte), but it's OUR language FFS!".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Calm down. I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting an Irish only till in supermarkets. Could you see them trying to enforce it?

Nonetheless we do grant advantages to Gaeltacht areas in terms of public spending.
    We grant advantages to Gaelscoils with bonus LC points, lower pupil/teacher ratio, and, let's face it, a less than all-inclusive enrolment, whatever the enrolment policy may say. How is that really any better, or more fair, than the situation in the US pre-Brown vs Board of Education ? It's using public moneys collected from all, but allocating them in an unequal way.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

You're being very charitable to them. It was one of the few tangible examples given by a proponent of granting 'Network Gaeltact' status to Clondalkin. A not well-thought out idea.
    I'm not being charitable and I agree it's not a well-thought out idea - that's why I questioned if it could realistically be enforced. I doubt the 'architects' of this idea have worked this out either.
    To begin with, children are probably not going to be learning a foreign language of their choice; they're more likely going to be learning a foreign language of their parents choice.

Secondly, being forced to learn your true 'native' language is not simply limited to Irish. The parents of immigrant children frequently force their children to do this, for example.

So I would not object to children being 'forced' to learn, per say.

What I would object to is that it is a policy that has failed; that Irish is taught, as a compulsory subject, throughout the lifespan of primary and secondary school, constantly, for around a dozen years, that passing exams in it was essential to even passing your Leaving Certificate, or getting into an NUI college, that doing your exams in Irish would even gain you bonus marks, and so on - has not created a bilingual society.

Instead, it has created a society of at best Oirish* speakers and unfairly eroded good will towards the language in many who resent how a good portion of their education was essentially squandered with little to show for it.

Worse still, this system has created a culture of graft in a small cabal, that has absolutely no interest in the language in reality.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Ancient Hebrew is similar I gather. Ancient Egyptian isn't that far out either. I tried having a go at the latter years ago. Makes reading Peig seem like a joyful exercise. :D
    Seḏ em ef (forgive the creative spelling), and all that jazz, yeah. Not the easiest language to get into, especially due to the phonetic 'gaps' that we have to fill in and I found Gardiner isn't that much help, beyond some very basic expressions, as it wasn't really written as a language course textbook ;)
    ninja900 wrote: »
    Nonetheless we do grant advantages to Gaeltacht areas in terms of public spending.
    We grant advantages to Gaelscoils with bonus LC points, lower pupil/teacher ratio, and, let's face it, a less than all-inclusive enrolment, whatever the enrolment policy may say. How is that really any better, or more fair, than the situation in the US pre-Brown vs Board of Education ? It's using public moneys collected from all, but allocating them in an unequal way.
    Governments use policy to incentivize or decentivize social behaviour all the time. People get tax breaks when married because we promote the traditional family as the basic unit of society. Certain industries receive grants and other fiscal incentives because we want to encourage their growth. Rich people are charged higher levels of tax and poor lower levels, so as to partially redistribute wealth and decrease the gap between rich and poor.

So there's nothing new or, in theory, particularly unusual by the incentives used to promote Irish.

However, when the incentives become de facto the end rather than the means is where you have a problem, because you no longer see a purpose to them meant for the common good, only the inequality they represent. In this regard, I'd agree that many of the policies that have been used to promote Irish have become ethically bankrupt; they simply have failed to make any declarable difference to the language and, as the article that kicked off this thread demonstrates, have become the end in themselves, with the language relegated to the role of an altruistic by-product at best.

So on one level I'd disagree with you; such incentives are not bad in themselves and can be very beneficial, however in the case of Irish they have essentially failed and because they now overshadow the language in terms of importance, are probably an obstacle to much-needed reform that could actually benefit the language.

I doubt very much that you, or others, would feel such resentment at such incentives and inequalities had they actually succeeded in making Ireland a bilingual society. However, I do think it perfectly natural that people do feel this way given their failure and perpetuation in the face of this failure.

* Oirish. Pseudo-Irish language; composed almost completely of English, with a few words or phrases in Irish - when actually spoken, which is practically never. Speakers in reality retain cúpla focal, which they will use occasionally in clichéd fashion (greetings, toasts, etc), but in reality cannot string together a complete sentence. Oirish speakers will self-assess themselves as having some Irish, or even be so bold as to suggest they have conversational Irish, but as they never actually use it, they never realize how little they actually have.

Secondly, being forced to learn your true 'native' language is not simply limited to Irish. The parents of immigrant children frequently force their children to do this, for example.
    This comparison is not valid as there is a difference between forcing children to learn a language that might have been spoken hundreds of years ago by some of their ancestors and teaching them a language still spoken by their parents and immediate relatives.

The major policy failure is that the needs of the Irish lobby have been placed ahead of the needs of the children.

Is Clondalkin's biggest need a Gaeltacht with an Irish language till?

• Advertisement

This comparison is not valid as there is a difference between forcing children to learn a language that might have been spoken hundreds of years ago by some of their ancestors and teaching them a language still spoken by their parents and immediate relatives.
    Just because a comparison is not identical does not invalidate it and there is enough commonality between them to merit comparison IMHO.
    The major policy failure is that the needs of the Irish lobby have been placed ahead of the needs of the children.
    Policy is not designed to service the needs of the children. Policy is designed to service the needs to the community, and in this regard the needs of the children can sometimes take second place.

This is not meant to defend the present system, only to point out that the principles you are putting forward do not always hold true.
    Is Clondalkin's biggest need a Gaeltacht with an Irish language till?
    I think it is clear from the article that Clondalkin's biggest need, or interest, is in the fiscal incentives that come with such window dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Thought in light of the Subject matter, this would make an interesting read

Polish speakers outnumber Gaeilgeoiri in Republic, fakt!
    Irish News
    SATURDAY MARCH 31 2012
    Connla Young
    newsdesk@irishnews.com

MORE people living in the Republic speak Polish than Irish, the state's latest census has found. Irish government census figures reveal that 82,600 people speak Irish every day outside school while 119,526 speak Polish.

It also revealed that just 35 per cent of people living in Gaeltacht areas say they speak Irish on a daily basis outside the education system. In addition to that more than 53,000 people speak French at home every day in the south.

Last night Irish language activists said they were not concerned by the census results. Julian de Spainn, general secretary of Conradb na Gaeilge, which promotes the Irish language, says his organisation is upbeat about the future.

"We are very encouraged that 5,000 more people are speaking Irish every day," he said. "Around 1.7 million people have the ability to use Irish and the challenge for us is to get people who have Irish to use it even more."

Manager at An Droichead Irish cultural centre on the Ormeau Road in Belfast, Pol Deeds, said the figures need to be put into context. "It was to be expected. You can't look at the figures in isolation. The influx of Polish speakers is down to the influx workers.

"It shows us exactly where we thought we are at and there's a lot of work that needs
    to be done. But there are organisations tasked with doing that work. "The Irish language is in a much healthier state now than it was a few years ago- and we have a whole sector dedicated to promoting it."

junder wrote: »
    "We are very encouraged that 5,000 more people are speaking Irish every day," he said.
    What's the percentage increase in the general population of Ireland and what is the percentage increase in people claiming to speak Irish daily?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If he and his group seriously think "Around 1.7 million people have the ability to use Irish" then they've been smoking something stronger than tobacco.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    If he and his group seriously think "Around 1.7 million people have the ability to use Irish" then they've been smoking something stronger than tobacco.
    Actually, I suspect that more than 1.7 million people have the ability to use Irish; I use 'sláinte' all the time (perhaps too often for my own good).

One should read in-between the lines of such statements; 'ability to use' is a pretty broad statement and does not imply any capacity to string together more than a handful of words and phrases; it's essentially tokenism and what I would call Oirish and is indeed spoken by the majority in Ireland:

Lack of reliable data on the language I believe only benefits those interested parties who have a stake in maintaining the status quo, rather than the Irish language.

Lack of reliable data on the language I believe only benefits those interested parties who have a stake in maintaining the status quo, rather than the Irish language.
    +100%

Well, the population increased by 7.4% and the number of people claiming to speak Irish rose by 7.1%.

The leader of Conradh na Gaellge spins this slippage as '5,000 more people speak Irish every day.'

Nobody questioned our expensive, sacred cow's media management.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Old thread- I know. But being from Clondalkin I'm very curious; has there been any advancements on this or has the idea just slowly died?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Died on its Aras thankfully.

Although said Aras has been putting up lots more banners on Orchard Road recently :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Died on its Aras thankfully.

Although said Aras has been putting up lots more banners on Orchard Road recently :eek:

Pity, would've been a huge plus for the village.

Áras and the Gaelscoil seem to be prospering so the future looks bright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Please do not resurrect zombie threads.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement