Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I found Money

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lolz90

Seachmall wrote: »
    Except someone probably got shortchanged by €15 and presumably didn't get their money back.

Sorry, first time poster. Probably wasn't clear enough. I was the lad who was shortchanged 15quid but it was my stupidity! Thought he gave me the wrong money so I handed it back to the barman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

* Waits for the "I lost Money" opportunist thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 austerity2012

This is a true story.... about 4 years ago I was living in Phibsboro and walking down the main street right outside the library I found a purse. There was €210 in it but no form of ID. So I decided the best thing to do would be to hand it in to the library as I thought perhaps it may belong to a library user. I left my details with the librarian in case no one claimed the purse. A week later I get a phone call from a guy to thank me for handing the purse in.... it belonged to his elderly mother, she had just collected her pension that day and visited the library and was absolutely distraught that she lost her weeks pension. The gardai contacted the library to see if a purse had been found there and she told them that a lad...ie me...had handed one in. Anyway the old lady asked me to call round to hers and she handed me a card as a little thankyou and in it were 3 scratch cards... I won €50 on one of them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Are you still an atheist if you believe in karma?

Good question, and I believe the answer is "yes". After all, those who seem most conscious of karma are Buddhists, Hindus and Jains, and these are often regarded as atheistic philosophies rather than religions in the sense that we understand religion here in Western cultures.:)

Unlike the concept of "grace", as expounded by, e.g., the Catholic church, karma is not a matter of some kind of sky fairy or other immaterial deity recording our good and bad deeds in a big ledger and at the end of our lives totting up the total to see whether it is positive or negative. It is not a system of external accountability.:D

As I understand it, karma is an internal thing, your own dialogue with your own sense of right and wrong, your interaction with a kind of cognitive dissonance. If you override that internal voice that warns you to consider whether what you are doing is right, you eventually put a strain on your own psyche and this will eventually affect your judgement and cause you either to overreach or misstep. And then karma, your built-in moral gyrocompass, will level the score with you.:)

As for the OP finding by stealing, that is what it is. Although no great fan of the Gardai, I would not argue that all or even many of them are thieves. If the OP had handed in the money and asked for a receipt, there is little danger that it would have been stolen by a Garda. And he would have received it after a certain period of time, perhaps a year, in the event of the owner not turning up. He also had the option of sticking up a few flyers announcing that an unspecified sum of money had been found and inviting callers.

He will have no luck with the money.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Seriously OP??? How much joy can 300 bills bring you? Try find the owner. You don't know what the repurcussions will be for someone. And yes even IF it is drug money as apposed to someone struggling to pay bills / pensioner you could cause someone getting a serious beating.

It's not yours. It's not a life changing amount. Don't keep it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe it was an old person's money that they were going to use to buy drugs. What way should we wave our pitchforks then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

foxyboxer wrote: »
    * Waits for the "I lost Money" opportunist thread.
    See post #22

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

There is such thing as stealing by finding actually.
    20 euro is one thing, but 300 could be to pay someone's rent or bills. When I was renting last year I had to pay my rent through the bank in cash, which I would hand over in a white envelope. Rent was half my wages, losing that would have completely screwed me.

That could be somone's wages either, you don't know. You obviously feel guilty about it, seeing as your coming on here justifying what you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

There is such thing as stealing by finding actually.

That's debatable.

OT,
    I lost ~€300 in college. It was the last of my savings and I needed it to visit friends of mine. Someone definitely found it because I lost it in a very small area with no more than a dozen or so people walking through and noticed it was missing within 10 minutes of losing it.

It was a nuisance but it'd be hypocritical of me to say the person who found it was in the wrong. I take full responsibility for losing it, what they did or didn't do with the money when they found it is up to them and I wouldn't judge them for it (partly because I'd keep it if I were them).

There's actually a decent chance they only got the €20 or so that was in the main compartment, I'd hidden most of the money behind my cards so if they didn't thoroughly check it they might have thrown the money out with the wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Eire.

Very well written and funny :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

four18 wrote: »
    I am keeping it, What would you suggest ? Garda station ? Not paying for a garda to go to coppers tonight. Would any of you pocket it ? be honest !

In fairness, do the right thing. Hand it in. At the very least ask your local radio station to put out that a sum of money has been found.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Freddie59 wrote: »
    In fairness, do the right thing. Hand it in. At the very least ask your local radio station to put out that a sum of money has been found.

There is no I.D. It's an envelope with cash. Whoever he hands it in to will just keep it.

How is giving the money to another random person to spend "doing the right thing"? That is doing the foolish thing. The amount of keyboard moralist's in here is just laughable. Talking about Karma and him deserving to get hit by a bus. He didn't steal it, there is no wallet or Identification so he has no way to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Hand it back if you find cash in a public premises or similar, even if there wasn't no ID / purse containing the money. Because the owner will probably be calling asking people if it was handed back in.

However if I see a £20 note lying on a street pavement or road without ID it's becoming a beer token!!! I've dropped banknotes before whilst walking about town & I know there's no chance of me getting them back!! :rolleyes:

Kirby wrote: »
    There is no I.D. It's an envelope with cash. Whoever he hands it in to will just keep it.

How is giving the money to another random person to spend "doing the right thing"? That is doing the foolish thing. The amount of keyboard moralist's in here is just laughable. Talking about Karma and him deserving to get hit by a bus. He didn't steal it, there is no wallet or Identification so he has no way to return it.

You cannot say that. FFS the person who lost it could be frantic with worry. No-one's being 'moral' - just compassionate. I hope YOU never find yourself in that person's place It could be food for the week/ESB bill/wages/anything. At the very least try the local radio option. Please.

This is a true story.... about 4 years ago I was living in Phibsboro and walking down the main street right outside the library I found a purse. There was €210 in it but no form of ID. So I decided the best thing to do would be to hand it in to the library as I thought perhaps it may belong to a library user. I left my details with the librarian in case no one claimed the purse. A week later I get a phone call from a guy to thank me for handing the purse in.... it belonged to his elderly mother, she had just collected her pension that day and visited the library and was absolutely distraught that she lost her weeks pension. The gardai contacted the library to see if a purse had been found there and she told them that a lad...ie me...had handed one in. Anyway the old lady asked me to call round to hers and she handed me a card as a little thankyou and in it were 3 scratch cards... I won €50 on one of them!!!

Well there ya have it. Well done my friend.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Biggins wrote: »
    I honestly would not wish a similar situation on anyone.

What about Hitler?

tony007 wrote: »
    What about Hitler?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

tony007 wrote: »
    What about Hitler?

Maybe he wouldn't have been such an asshole if someone had helped him out like that, what if, what if, what if

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

Oh dear, oh dear OP!

You are feeling really, really guilty at the moment, I'd say. That's probably why you've written to us about it. We'll say "Oh yeah, fair play." and your guilt will wash away.

If you plan on keeping it yourself at least give a few quid to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I handed in 100e I found last Christmas. Got it sent back to me a year and a day later.

Happy Days.

No bad karma for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Freddie59 wrote: »
    You cannot say that. FFS the person who lost it could be frantic with worry. No-one's being 'moral' - just compassionate. I hope YOU never find yourself in that person's place It could be food for the week/ESB bill/wages/anything. At the very least try the local radio option. Please.

I have been in that situation. Most people have lost money at some point or another.

Finding a wallet with a name and address and keeping the contents or returning them is a moral decision. Finding cash on the street is not. Most people who lose money don't get it back because there is no real way to return it.

The person who lost it may be frantic with worry. That is unfortunate. But you are not helping them by letting the coppers keep it in a desk for a month. Handing it in is meant to make you feel pious or saintly. But it doesn't help the person who is down 300 quid. You are no more in the wrong or right than the OP. You just think you are. And thats all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aldridge09

The most logical thing to do is contact your local garda station, advise them that you found a sum of money and give them your contact details - you can hold on to it and then after 12 months if nobody contacts you - happy spending. As far as I know if you do happen to give the money to your local gardai they will issue you with a receipt from a receipt book.

Do the honest thing and sleep easy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Syllabus wrote: »
    really just cements in my mind the type of site this place is - full of aul ones and holy molys

@OP - I'd have kept the money and said nowt on the net about it.

@all the goody two shoes - i'd have enjoyed it more cos it wasnt my money

Goody two shoes, what are we, 10?
    aldridge09 wrote: »
    The most logical thing to do is contact your local garda station, advise them that you found a sum of money and give them your contact details - you can hold on to it and then after 12 months if nobody contacts you - happy spending. As far as I know if you do happen to give the money to your local gardai they will issue you with a receipt from a receipt book.

Do the honest thing and sleep easy

This is what I thought would be the most logical conclusion, that way, the guard wouldn't nick the op's money

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

OP......not going to judge you here but you are obviously out on your own and realising how expensive it is to maintain your life without the assistance of your family.;) Most of us have been there;)

Soooooo what if it was your money, your rent was due, no grub in the flat, ESB to be paid....would you find it easy to replace the sum.....would it cause you sleepless nights?? How long would you be in financial difficulty before you could leave it in the past??

Make an effort to do the right thing........you'll feel all the better for it!! Truly you will;)

Pandora2 wrote: »
    OP......not going to judge you here but you are obviously out on your own and realising how expensive it is to maintain your life without the assistance of your family.;) Most of us have been there;)

Soooooo what if it was your money, your rent was due, no grub in the flat, ESB to be paid....would you find it easy to replace the sum.....would it cause you sleepless nights?? How long would you be in financial difficulty before you could leave it in the past??

Make an effort to do the right thing........you'll feel all the better for it!! Truly you will;)

Well said.

Kirby wrote: »
    I have been in that situation. Most people have lost money at some point or another.

Finding a wallet with a name and address and keeping the contents or returning them is a moral decision. Finding cash on the street is not. Most people who lose money don't get it back because there is no real way to return it.

The person who lost it may be frantic with worry. That is unfortunate. But you are not helping them by letting the coppers keep it in a desk for a month. Handing it in is meant to make you feel pious or saintly. But it doesn't help the person who is down 300 quid. You are no more in the wrong or right than the OP. You just think you are. And thats all that matters.

In fairness, unfortunate may not even cover it. Decimated probably would. pious? Saintly? Peculiar choice of words there. I would call it just being honest really. And compassionate. Even if there is a half-chance hand it in OP. I think you will in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a cut of the €300, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me my money now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Contains bad language...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    funny how everyone keeps sayin its probaly some poor persons money for paying the bill .. or someones lifes savings etc ..how do we know it wasnt somebody who is evil`s money?? perhaps a drug dealer.. paedo .. or worse jedward??

Because given any population that walk any streets, the VAST majority of them are people of more decent nature overall - not a probable much smaller minority that only we ever hear about in the news via crime.
    It makes more sense then to assume that the person that lost it was, more chance of the vast majority of the above described - but then some that is so mean as to not be honest about handing it in, will jump on the lesser much minority of crooks and try and use the excuse "well of course, it must be theirs of course" more so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

obvious troll.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mconigol wrote: »
    obvious troll.

Very more than likely but it created a good debate and overall, the result is good to see.

Advertisement